Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Torco concentrated race fuel.

Anyone tried it?

Supposedly, it's not the snake oil, octane boost crap that you see at Autozone. But rather a legit race gas concentrate that you can add to boost octane levels. They have a mix chart on their site for 87/91/93 starting octane and how much of this junk you add, relative to pump gas, to make "X" final octane.

I just bought (2) 32oz bottles (Unleaded) and I'm going to try it out. I'm driving out to a car show/race event called Timmayfest next month. I don't have the ability to take Sunoco 100 or VP with me, so I figured I'll take a few cans of this stuff to see what happens.

Does anyone have any real working history with this stuff?

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html
    2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust. #1 record holder on dragtimes (13.49@102.5)
    2005 SL600 - OE Tuning ECU/ Speedriven TCU - #1 record holder on dragtimes (11.02@126)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqKECRhvlf4

Powered by:Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Saw those links, thanks. Nothing much in there but speculation. I'm looking for people that have actual history using this product, not conjecture.
    2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust. #1 record holder on dragtimes (13.49@102.5)
    2005 SL600 - OE Tuning ECU/ Speedriven TCU - #1 record holder on dragtimes (11.02@126)

Powered by:Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i think some of the n54 guys tried it and seems to be legit, ill take alook for ya again though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know the Terminator crowd use Torco. I haven't heard of it not living up to expectation.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HMm this is like the 10th time i see this product come up time to order some.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama Click here to enlarge
    Saw those links, thanks. Nothing much in there but speculation. I'm looking for people that have actual history using this product, not conjecture.
    You won't find too many in the MB scene using it, too many guys not willing to try new things or mod.

Torco is a good product from what I've heard but I have no personal experience with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's not a bad solution, but if you really start to dig around you're better off just blending in racing gas. Less risky and cheaper. Here's some quick stuff I can link

From the guys at Berk Technology:
    "Someone asked the question about octane boosters and race gas cost differences. What is very surprising is that the cost of regular 91pump + octane booster about the same as blending race gas and pump. This online calculator will also give you the total cost per tank. The delta is less than $10 per tank.

The thing is that I KNOW race fuel is 100 oct (or whatever oct #) whereas octane boosters are unknown.

A just to give you some facts & figures using a 135i w/ 14 gal tank as an example:

To get 93 octane using MS109: Dump 2 gallons of MS109, top off with 91 oct.
    $3.50/gal 91 pump
    $12.00/gal MS109 = $66.00/tank

To get 93 octane using 100 oct pump: Pump 3.3 gallons of 100 oct, top off with 91 oct.
    $3.50/gal pump
    $8.00/gal 100oct = $63.63/tank

Full tank of 91 pump + NOS Octane booster ($15/can) = $65/tank.
    Full tank of 91 pump + Torco Octane booster ($30/can) = $80/tank.

Cost for a 5 gallon pail of VP MS109 fuel (105 octane) is about $60 or $12/gal. If you have a gas station with 100 octane at the pump it is usually around $8 per gallon.

For reference the 135i tank is 14 gallons and 335i tank is 16.1 gallons. Have fun doing your own calculations with the link below.
    http://ranney.com/mjr/fuel_blend.html

The moral of the story? Use race gas to blend your own fuel so you are getting a known octane rating."

Blending chart
    Click here to enlarge

>Link to Octane Booster testing at a Fuel Lab<
    Excerpt- "As described by Wusz, there is an optimal window of effectiveness for toluene additives. Beyond that, the increased fuel density begins to have detrimental affects on proper fuel carburetion and also retards combustion.

Toluene-laden fuels burn slower and make less power on high-revving engines. So much in fact that much of the air/fuel mixture is still burning as the charge exits through the exhaust valve. This is a sure way to destroy your emissions-control equipment and not pass smog. For these reasons, true race fuels don't just use toluene or other active ingredients to boost the octane. Instead they use better-refined hydrocarbon chains that raise octane while retaining optimal combustion characteristics."

Posted by user 'StayRight' who works in a fuel lab-
    "I just took a look at the Torco site and their chart and I calculated 462 octane based on what Torco is saying -
    i calculated it by:
    1 gallon = 128 fl oz
    + 6.4 fl oz Torco
    which basically is roughly
    95% 91 octane (91x.95)
    5% Torco (462.5x0.04)
    Makes no sense. I have been on their site looking for small print saying the 105 is RON and not RON+MON/2 but even don't see anything of that nature. Even if it was RON it would be a stretch. Even if they used 40 mg of MMT per liter of gas (which is the highest limit any country in the world has - China and India where older cars without catalytic converters are more dominant) the RON would only go from about 96 to 97.9. I'm really not too sure what they could possibly use in such a concentrated amount that has that much kick."

"I've always used Toluene (in my waverunner pushing 14lbs of boost + some timing and in my cars). I personally don't use more than 20%. Using too much could cause rubber gaskets, o-rings etc to prematurely dry out -I have personally seen this in the lab and possibly on a friends civic. I say possibly because it is my assumption that he had issues with the o-rings in his fuel pump from just dumping toluene in his almost empty gas tank a few times.
    I would not "homebrew" toluene with mineral spirits. Run straight toluene
    I would also filter the toluene by using 2 coffee filters.
    I would also recommend adding the toluene to gas in a gas can instead of just dumping straight toluene in your tank. The API of the toluene is much heavier than pump gas. Mixing it to existing gas in a can and then adding to your tank would help ensure homogeneity."
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lots of info up there, thanks!

I wholeheartedly agree, that race gas should be your primary option, and that's what I would normally do. My issue this time, is that I'm taking the car to a show/race a couple hundred miles away. Since my car is a small 2 seat roadster, I don't have the option of carrying race gas with me. That's why I was looking into the Torco solution.

Luckily though, I've located a couple stations near the event that sell race gas. So, even though I've purchased the Torco, I won't be using it.