Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
    I've read that teh 550rw BS has headers not sure if they are catted.
    Still wouldn't explain them being so close. Need to see that graph...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    IIRC he has dyno results and either has or will post them. It's been a while since I've been over there but there was more info about his car in both the 204 and CLK BS forums
    Who is IIRC?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    Who is IIRC?
    That is just short for "If I recall/remember correctly."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have no desire to post a mod list or a dyno slip. I know what the car makes, several people have seen the dyno run so in the end I have nothing to prove.

I am sorry if that is not the answer you want but my car, my money, my decision....please respect it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no desire to post a mod list or a dyno slip. I know what the car makes, several people have seen the dyno run so in the end I have nothing to prove.

I am sorry if that is not the answer you want but my car, my money, my decision....please respect it.
    I respect your decision and it really isn't about proving anything.

What people are trying to understand is how your car makes 550 whp at 5 psi yet JRCART's makes 575 whp or so at 10 psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I respect your decision and it really isn't about proving anything.

What people are trying to understand is how your car makes 550 whp at 5 psi yet JRCART's makes 575 whp or so at 10 psi.
    I think it's just one of those situations where a person gets really attached to a dyno number. It's fun to think of your car making high hp. But, it's all relative. I mean, ecampbell's car may actually make 550 rwhp. That's believable. But, it likely doesn't make that much power on 91 octane. No big deal. All he likely has to do is put in the good fuel and then bam, his car makes 550 rwhp.

Also, I remember, when the E-force superchargers were coming out for Camaro's and purchasers were ordering their kits with smaller pulleys. They would say, "my car makes xxx at 5-6 psi." And you would look at the graph with the boost line included and you would see that at redline, the car was making >10 psi. I remember questioning those who claimed they made xxx at 5 psi, when their graph showed >10 psi, and some actually got offended.

The thing is, it's hard to see how you get your cake and ice cream too: running such low boost and using crap fuel and making so much power seems like a pipe dream.

I respect the owners decision not to post any graphs. But, no one is buying the power claims. No biggy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    I think it's just one of those situations where a person gets really attached to a dyno number. It's fun to think of your car making high hp. But, it's all relative. I mean, ecampbell's car may actually make 550 rwhp. That's believable. But, it likely doesn't make that much power on 91 octane. No big deal. All he likely has to do is put in the good fuel and then bam, his car makes 550 rwhp.

Also, I remember, when the E-force superchargers were coming out for Camaro's and purchasers were ordering their kits with smaller pulleys. They would say, "my car makes xxx at 5-6 psi." And you would look at the graph with the boost line included and you would see that at redline, the car was making >10 psi. I remember questioning those who claimed they made xxx at 5 psi, when their graph showed >10 psi, and some actually got offended.

The thing is, it's hard to see how you get your cake and ice cream too: running such low boost and using crap fuel and making so much power seems like a pipe dream.

I respect the owners decision not to post any graphs. But, no one is buying the power claims. No biggy.
    I agree with everything you said.

I'm not calling him a liar or asking him to prove anything to me or anyone else. Forced induction on this platform is so new that we really don't have all that much information on it.

Who knows how much power he is making but in order to learn dynos certainly play a key role. I buy he is making 550 whp I just don't understand the PSI and power disparity between the two setups. By not posting a dyno it just makes us all more curious and skeptical of certain claims but that is his right/decision.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with everything you said.

I'm not calling him a liar or asking him to prove anything to me or anyone else. Forced induction on this platform is so new that we really don't have all that much information on it.

Who knows how much power he is making but in order to learn dynos certainly play a key role. I buy he is making 550 whp I just don't understand the PSI and power disparity between the two setups. By not posting a dyno it just makes us all more curious and skeptical of certain claims but that is his right/decision.
    For sure.

Like you said, its a new addition to the platform, and we just want to know more. Its part of the fun in this hobby/lifestyle/profession/addiction (whatever, ha).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    171mph at The Texas mile 2011.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
    Why is this position the norm in the Mercedes Benz community? Its unfortunate that people are unwilling to share their data with the community its useful to all.
    There are people who do this in every community unfortunately. Their choice, but when it is a topic with little info (Weistec supercharger) any and all information is appreciated.

I think we can all agree there will be a pretty big disparity between 5 and 10 psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1000 we are all trying to learn and getting accurate info is part of that process. ecampbell, you do realize this only adds to the growing amount of skepticism among members. I don't understand your mentality but will respect your decision.

Last question: Are you still going to publicly claim 550rw but not post anything to back it up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Actually I never claimed 550rw and didn't really need or want the attention on that to begin with (that comparing our two cars would no doubt bring). Jim put the number up as he either saw the dyno slip or spoke to Weistec. To me it is simply a number that people get all caught up with and I prefer to simply move on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually I never claimed 550rw and didn't really need or want the attention on that to begin with (that comparing our two cars would no doubt bring). Jim put the number up as he either saw the dyno slip or spoke to Weistec. To me it is simply a number that people get all caught up with and I prefer to simply move on.
    Understood, I guess many of us were under the impression you claimed the number.

Just of curiosity, why are you getting your car supercharged and participating on MB forums if you do not intend to share any details? I do not mean that as a negative, just curious what your build goals and intentions are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Here is what you posted on *another board*

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/4593526-post4.html <---------------If this is against the rules please remove it.
    First impressions:

1. instant throttle response from about 2,000 rpm
    2. when driving normal you can not hear the sc which was my biggest concern as I don't want attention
    3. spinning in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd....esp can be your friend here (on the street) unless you want to play
    4. raining in socal today so no pics
    5. rwhp is in the 550 region...I haven't seen dyno slips yet
    6. biggest problem is that it confirms the heads and cams will be coming shortly!

Only get another week with the car before it goes back to storage so will try and get pics and video if time allows.
    This suggests there is a dyno sheet available but you have not personally seen it.
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

He has spent too much time on MBW thats why&his post shows it
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
    He has spent too much time on MBW thats why&his post shows it
    I dont want to take this thread any further off track, i just hate when people post BS, but you are 100% right that is the norm *over there*.
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont want to take this thread any further off track, i just hate when people post BS, but you are 100% right that is the norm *over there*.
    Jim first posted the number in one of his posts not me. As I was asked for my impressions, I gave them and as the number was already in public I included it. I don't really care if you say it is BS as there were people there and saw and know it is real.

As Jim said on the other thread, it is common knowledge these cars make 460/470 rwhp with mods. If you use the formula new RWHP = (boost+14.7)/14.7*current rwhp. The rest should be easy.

You have the last word.
    Last edited by ecampbell; 05-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More skeptical!
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Almost seems like someone told him that's what he had and he regurgitated it all over now taking it back.
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

As Jim said on the other thread, it is common knowledge these cars make 460/470 rwhp with mods. If you use the formula new RWHP = (boost+14.7)/14.7*current rwhp. The rest should be easy.
    I'm not sure if you quite understand where the question lies. No doubt the car is capable of 550 whp and even much more.

The question really is how the 550 rwhp can be at 5 psi as JRCART is making 573 at 10-11 psi. If 550 whp is possible on 5 psi of boost, why in the world is Jim running so much boost needlessly? Especially when his setup should be more efficient per pound of boost with SLS cams and ported/ heads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Dodger...you lost on the other forum so you are trying your luck here by egging me on? Go away and talk to someone who cares about your drivel. Jim more or less answered your questions on the other forum and rather than acknowledge it, you attack him. Go away and get a life Click here to enlarge

Sticky I have all the time in the world for you...I understand the underlying question and I honestly can't answer it. My headers are a different design than Jims (4:1 using Burns collectors whereas Jim has a tri-y). The headers were built by hennessey with the rest of the exhaust done by evosport so I don't know if that has something to do with it or???? A very minor correction in that apparently max boost was 5.5psi. I was not there for the dyno pulls but if I am told by the installer and others there that it makes 550, I believe them.

I can say my car will be going to the west coast June/July for some more goodies. I will be the first to admit there is no real point as I am only in north America a couple times a year and the 2K driving I put on it annually is hard to justify to the $ I have spent but at the end of the day it is fun and costs a fraction of what I spend on my sailing!!

In South Africa this week so chat later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky I have all the time in the world for you...I understand the underlying question and I honestly can't answer it. My headers are a different design than Jims (4:1 using Burns collectors whereas Jim has a tri-y). The headers were built by hennessey with the rest of the exhaust done by evosport so I don't know if that has something to do with it or???? A very minor correction in that apparently max boost was 5.5psi. I was not there for the dyno pulls but if I am told by the installer and others there that it makes 550, I believe them.
    I believe them as well as the guys at Weistec are stand up guys who have no reason to lie. I have no doubt your car makes the power I think maybe there is some kind of miscommunication on the boost.

I can say my car will be going to the west coast June/July for some more goodies. I will be the first to admit there is no real point as I am only in north America a couple times a year and the 2K driving I put on it annually is hard to justify to the $ I have spent but at the end of the day it is fun and costs a fraction of what I spend on my sailing!!

In South Africa this week so chat later.
    Sounds like quite the life Click here to enlarge I can't tell if you were being sarcastic with your time for me comment as you do seem quite busy.

I'm a fan of sailing, just don't have the budget for it. Enjoy South Africa!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe jrcart's engine is starting to show signs of lost compression and subsequent power loss? No proof, of course, just brainstorming how his significant additional mods over and above ecampbell, along with greater boost and leaded race gas, are only causing an increase of rwhp in the 20's range...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Maybe jrcart's engine is starting to show signs of lost compression and subsequent power loss? No proof, of course, just brainstorming how his significant additional mods over and above ecampbell, along with greater boost and leaded race gas, are only causing an increase of rwhp in the 20's range...
    I doubt he losing compression. I would venture toward maybe tuning limitations at this stage. It could also be that ecambell's car has more than 5 psi of boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I doubt he losing compression. I would venture toward maybe tuning limitations at this stage. It could also be that ecambell's car has more than 5 psi of boost.
    I think the more likely answer based on his responses are that he truly doesn't know and can't back them up with proof. Wouldn't be a problem except he has posted 550rw many times in the past. Misinformation helps no one. .5lb of boost difference is so small it's irrelevant in this case vs the mods and boost on the other car. Just be honest, this cloak and dagger $#@! is a waste of time and only serves to discredit you (ecampbell).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast