Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thumbs up A proper LSD service for my P31 C63 w/ locking diff (code 471)

My C63 got its first service at the dealership today.
    I'm very anal (like most of us guys here) and decided to start a relationship with the only AMG Performance Center in my area to handle all the service for my C63.

I've read about others doing this service themselves (wish I could, but I don't have access to a lift) and some people getting it done at the dealership.
    Most dealerships do not order new drain/fill plugs for this service, but they should, according to MB spec. Anyway, I wanted it done right--and here's the storyClick here to enlarge

I called and spoke to the Service Manager first and told her I have a new AMG and I'm very particular about my car and am considering using them for all of my service since they are an AMG Performance Center (the only one in New England, actually).
    She said they have just the right Service Advisor for me (he handles the AMG owners and is trained by AMG as well).
    They also have multiple AMG trained service techs who work on AMG cars weekly (I believe this because the dealership is in Boston and it services a lot of cars).
    I actually saw two new SLSs, S65, Sl63, two CL63s and two G55 while I was getting my service doneClick here to enlarge

So I spoke to my Service Advisor and told him I wanted my LSD service done to MB spec and wanted replacement drain and fill plugs (#001 990 23 17) and he told me that they usually reuse the old plugs if they're okay, but will order new ones for me with no problem and he confirmed the proper diff fluid (Castrol SAF-XJ 75w-140 #001 989 52 0310).

After exchanging emails on my preferences of no test drives w/o me in the car, possibility of viewing my car while being worked on (through an indoor shop window) and of course no washing of the vehicle, we proceeded to making the appointment.
    I freely admitted to my SA that I was clinically insaneClick here to enlarge and I realize I'm a bit of a pain in the ass, but I told him this car meant a lot to me and I'm not a trust fund baby, I actually had to work very hard to write the check for this car.
    He understood and he was very candid and polite, plus reassuring me that I was no trouble at all (the correct responseClick here to enlarge).

So I brought the car in this morning for the service and he had the new plugs for me to inspect, proper fluid and a copy of the MB internal Bulliten the Service Techs use when servicing the vehicle (I asked for this paper work so that they know I want it done by the book, I also wanted to provide it to everyone hereClick here to enlarge).

The service took about and hour and a half and I paid $207.13--the plugs themselves are listed for $47.25 eachClick here to enlarge--no wonder the dealers like reusing them!Click here to enlarge
    The service tech put the old plugs in the plastic baggie the new ones came in and put them inside my car on the floor on top of a clean shop towelClick here to enlarge

My SA was really great and he took me out to my car and did a walk around with me.
    I thanked him very much and told him I will see him again when I need the oil changed--we shook hands and I told him there was a little something extra for him (for handling all of my requests)--I palmed a $50 before we shook hands. He said thank you and seemed very happy.
    I got in my car and drove home very satisfied with my service.

Here's some pics of the old bolts and for the first time on the interneClick here to enlarget--the service Bulitin MB uses for the LSD service for P30 equipped cars or those C63s with code 471 (stand alone locking diff option).
    Enjoy: Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by P31-C63; 04-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

First of all, great thread.

Secondly, moving this to M156 as we include the drivetrain in the motor sections.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    First of all, great thread.

Secondly, moving this to M156 as we include the drivetrain in the motor sections.
    thanks Sticky--I'm torn because I want to post this in MBW for the members, but I don't want to further "their" cause at MBW.
    I'm going to leave it here for now as an EXCLUSIVE--hahahaha

BBFTW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
    thanks Sticky--I'm torn because I want to post this in MBW for the members, but I don't want to further "their" cause at MBW.
    I'm going to leave it here for now as an EXCLUSIVE--hahahaha

BBFTW
    Click here to enlarge Trust me, I understand. It takes initiative from members like yourself to get things going in the right direction. I fully understand MBW still exists and it puts you in a bit of a pickle just like it did with JRCART who no doubt will have to put his dyno numbers up there at some point as well. Just need to continue to get good exclusives like this for however long it is possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I imbedded some BB text in case it ever gets moved to MBWClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm the same way about my car. Dealer doesn't appreciate customers who truly care about their car. "What, driving an AMG means more to you than having a car that sounds nice from the factory when you're picking up dry cleaning?" "Yes, yes it does, actually."

I need a performance center to go to but I don't imagine there is one close enough. Good for you though. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny, when I met the AMG Tech, I apologized (jokingly) for being such a pain in the ass, he said, "Oh please, we'd rather see guys like you who take care of these cars versus some of the people who destroy them."
    He seemed sincere and remember, most of these techs are car guys like us, so they get the passion!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yeah, that's true.

That's why when I go to the dealer I always ask for the shop foreman to come on the ride-along. He knows his stuff and he shows some patience with me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

thanks for sharing...I bought my car with 2400 miles, I wonder if it had the fluid changed? At what mileage did you do this?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    thanks for sharing...I bought my car with 2400 miles, I wonder if it had the fluid changed? At what mileage did you do this?
    You might think I'm crazy, but I wondered that once about your car too!Click here to enlarge
    As you know, your car was almost mine, so I still have a little affinity for it.Click here to enlarge
    Your car was a dealer demo when you bought it, right?
    Westwood management is a bunch of goons, so I would check with your dealer to see if they can access the previous service records from before you bought it.
    If you can't find out, I'd do the service now to be safe, it's cheap insurance at this point.
    I'd also recommend having the LSD fluid put through a filter to see how much metal is in it.
    I kinda wanted to have them do that with mine, but I was already asking for too much!

BTW I had about 2050 miles on it--MB recommends 1875 miles (it's on that little sticker in the window and the service manual).

GL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another way you might be able to tell if the service was done is to inspect the plugs.
    The originals have a black paint on them that wears off when torqued (see pics) and the new plugs are plain metal w/o black paint.
    So if you look at the bolts and they are nice black painted ones, it's never been done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P31-C63 Click here to enlarge
    You might think I'm crazy, but I wondered that once about your car too!Click here to enlarge
    As you know, your car was almost mine, so I still have a little affinity for it.Click here to enlarge
    Your car was a dealer demo when you bought it, right?
    Westwood management is a bunch of goons, so I would check with your dealer to see if they can access the previous service records from before you bought it.
    If you can't find out, I'd do the service now to be safe, it's cheap insurance at this point.
    I'd also recommend having the LSD fluid put through a filter to see how much metal is in it.
    I kinda wanted to have them do that with mine, but I was already asking for too much!

BTW I had about 2050 miles on it--MB recommends 1875 miles (it's on that little sticker in the window and the service manual).

GL
    haha, thanks...I checked with them before I bought the car to make sure it was not a demo car. but definitely going to look into the fluid change...but there is no question the diff works!
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great thread! Click here to enlarge

Very detailed and excellently researched! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mort Click here to enlarge
    Great thread! Click here to enlarge

Very detailed and excellently researched! Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Mort, I'm all about the detailsClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge