Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question Best tune for 91 octane, no mods

I'm looking for the best tune (ECU and TCU) for the C63 AMG, I will be running 91 octane and no other mods. Are there any piggbacks or are they all flashes? I am not interested in hearing what sponsors or vendors have to say, I'd like to see dynos and drag slips from customers. The reason I am starting a new thread is because I hear conflicting information from forum to forum and post to post, not to mention that most original threads regarding tunes are from 2008 so they do not reflect the current market.

Thank you
    Last edited by Mahzari; 04-14-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    assuming you mean for most power and speed. All are flashes

Cant go wrong with MHP or OE. MHP held the tune only record. A member Propain just broke it with his OE tune only car. But im sure same day same driver they would of ran the same times. Where you located? OE is in california and MHP is on the east coast (not sure which state).

The OE tune only cars were east coast cars (better weather) and on 93 octane. Not sure if the MHP car was 91 or 93 but I think 93 octane. They are also both vendors on here. Dont think you can go wrong either way. Another option is Eurocharged which I only hear good things about.

Goodluck!
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge

Cant go wrong with MHP or OE. MHP held the tune only record. A member Propain just broke it with his OE tune only car. But im sure same day same driver they would of ran the same times. Where you located? OE is in california and MHP is on the east coast (not sure which state).

The OE tune only cars were east coast cars (better weather) and on 93 octane. Not sure if the MHP car was 91 or 93 but I think 93 octane. They are also both vendors on here. Dont think you can go wrong either way. Another option is Eurocharged which I only hear good things about.

Goodluck!
    Thanks for the response, and I can sacrifice 5-10whp for a more reliable tune. I don't want to stress the engine or transmission too much (which I doubt a tune could do on this AMG drivetrain). MHP looks attractive because of their extensive transmission tuning, does any other company offer a TCU upgrade?

I'm located in California

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can't go wrong with MHP, I hope to get some 1/4 runs this weekend...but being the pacnorwest, we'll see how the weather holds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean mhp does own most of the top records and those cars have the tcu tunes I believe. So u cant go wrong either way. I dont think their have been any blown engines, I could be wrong thou. Id definitely like to know if there has been.

Where in cali?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean mhp does own most of the top records and those cars have the tcu tunes I believe. So u cant go wrong either way. I dont think their have been any blown engines, I could be wrong thou. Id definitely like to know if there has been.

Where in cali?
    I agree, 50 horsepower is not worth a blown engine or damaged transmission down the road. When I do end up chipping my car, I'll post before and after dynos. And I'm in San Diego, CA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Goodluck!
    Very well said Sammy, can't go wrong either way.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very well said Sammy, can't go wrong either way.
    They definitely seem like the best three tuning options for the C63 at this time. Plus they all seem to be capable of growing with you if you ever decide to mod past the basic tune only level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mort Click here to enlarge
    They definitely seem like the best three tuning options for the C63 at this time. Plus they all seem to be capable of growing with you if you ever decide to mod past the basic tune only level.
    I definitely agree.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All the well known tunes are similar in hp gains. But it comes down to price. I have OE-tune one of the best bang for buck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does OE tuning change the transmission software?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry for drilling the thread, is OE tune available in Asia ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    sorry for drilling the thread, is OE tune available in Asia ?
    Good question, don't know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mahzari Click here to enlarge
    Do not believe they do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jeremy the OE-tuner told me the kick down is more aggressive. Also the shifts are firmer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No one can change the actually change the TCU...if they tell you differently they are lying. Most tuners modify files in the ECU that make the transmission behave differently like shift points, shift firmness etc...but most of those changes IIRC are actually in the ignition control.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    No one can change the actually change the TCU...if they tell you differently they are lying. Most tuners modify files in the ECU that make the transmission behave differently like shift points, shift firmness etc...but most of those changes IIRC are actually in the ignition control.
    Sorry to post in a thread in which tuners were asked not to but in this case I figured no one would mind if I weighed in on this particular subject.

As far as 722.9/ME9.7 equipped vehicles go, we modify maps in the ECU that affect things like shift quality, shift speed at part and WOT, quickness to up/downshift, responsiveness of the paddle shifters, other improvements including but not limited to increasing stall converter speed ~100rpm are a simple byproduct attributable to eliminating all potential torque limiters. The ECU is afterall the master controller with the TCU being the slave. Probably more importantly if anyone did play with the tcu torque limiters the trans would eat itself in short order without upgraded internals AND a comprehensive remap of the tcu's other parameters.

Anyway, while some may see it as a checksum comparison, we disagree as the difference in shifting is night and day vs stock. I guess you can call it whatever you want, the numbers and the customer testimonials speak for themselves. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @MHP

Do you think thru a VBOX there is way to show the shift times stock vs. MHP ECU Trans remap if we took a look at the vbox graph where the shift points are? could see the time differences?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @MHP

Do you think thru a VBOX there is way to show the shift times stock vs. MHP ECU Trans remap if we took a look at the vbox graph where the shift points are? could see the time differences?
    That's an interesting idea Sammy. I don't believe anyone's ever tried to do that with shifts from a 722.9 or any other auto trans for that matter? I would also suggest a higher standard than +/- 3% for incline/decline (there is so much variance there it's deceiving) or just use the same testing area if possible. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    That's an interesting idea Sammy. I don't believe anyone's ever tried to do that with shifts from a 722.9 or any other auto trans for that matter? I would also suggest a higher standard than +/- 3% for incline/decline (there is so much variance there it's deceiving) or just use the same testing area if possible. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Thanks
    Yeah would be a great test if done in the exact same location. Be a great way to sell some tunes too! Even if it shaved of .1 second from the shift, thru the 1/4 that would be .3 seconds on a tune only car. And if you are highly modded and have to shift into 5th then it would save you .4 seconds. Or am I figuring this wrong?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah would be a great test if done in the exact same location. Be a great way to sell some tunes too! Even if it shaved of .1 second from the shift, thru the 1/4 that would be .3 seconds on a tune only car. And if you are highly modded and have to shift into 5th then it would save you .4 seconds. Or am I figuring this wrong?
    Using your numbers that's correct. My guess is that the gains in total for a 1/4 mile pass assuming 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts would probably be in the .2-.3 range in total for a tune only or near stock (header/tune) car. Again though I'm just throwing numbers out since we haven't actually tested this. Again great idea!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm also interested in the shift time differences. Thanks for the information guys and I'm fine with company listing the facts about their products, the problem comes into play when they give an inflated dyno or other bias info. I'm been talking to someone from MHP about a tune and I'm happy with my experience so far, I'm just trying to gather all of the information for myself (and other BenzBoost members) about the qualities of all of the tunes out there.

Few questions about the stock C63: Does it kickdown or upshift at redline in M-mode? Also, does anyone know the true redline and fuel cut off? I've heard 7,200rpm, 7,300rpm and 7,400rpm from three different sources.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just trying to gather all of the information for myself (and other BenzBoost members) about the qualities of all of the tunes out there.
    That is smart, be informed about your decision.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm also interested in the shift time differences. Thanks for the information guys and I'm fine with company listing the facts about their products, the problem comes into play when they give an inflated dyno or other bias info. I'm been talking to someone from MHP about a tune and I'm happy with my experience so far, I'm just trying to gather all of the information for myself (and other BenzBoost members) about the qualities of all of the tunes out there.

Few questions about the stock C63: Does it kickdown or upshift at redline in M-mode? Also, does anyone know the true redline and fuel cut off? I've heard 7,200rpm, 7,300rpm and 7,400rpm from three different sources.

Thanks
    It wont upshift at redline in M mode. Doesnt bog down like my M3 DCT did, but doesnt seem to just bounce off the rev limiter either. Only done it once or twice so cant say exactly.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It wont upshift at redline in M mode. Doesnt bog down like my M3 DCT did, but doesnt seem to just bounce off the rev limiter either. Only done it once or twice so cant say exactly.
    I really like that it won't upshift on its own, very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast