Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MHP LT Pass CA Smog?

Does MHP make a LT that will pass California Smog and give very similar HP?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bo Knows Click here to enlarge
    Will it pass the sniffer? We have had off-road (non catted) users pass the sniffer (just testing of course) so yes you will easily pass this portion.

The visual however is an automatic fail for any longtube design. There are no emissions legal longtubes by default.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Although all smog places in California are required to perform a visual inspection, many of them don't do so - especially on such expensive cars. So you may get lucky and actually pass smog if your car doesn't get visually inspected. However, if the place you pick for smog happens to perform visual inspections, then you will NOT pass.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Find a mod friendly smog shop. They exist, thank God.

If worse comes to worse, pass with your stockers and pay to switch back. Yes, an inconvenience, but also a solution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Will it pass the sniffer? We have had off-road (non catted) users pass the sniffer (just testing of course) so yes you will easily pass this portion.

The visual however is an automatic fail for any longtube design. There are no emissions legal longtubes by default.

Thanks
    So are you saying that if we removed our cats, we will still pass CA smog with the sniffer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    Although all smog places in California are required to perform a visual inspection, many of them don't do so - especially on such expensive cars. So you may get lucky and actually pass smog if your car doesn't get visually inspected. However, if the place you pick for smog happens to perform visual inspections, then you will NOT pass.
    Correct! Every time I did my smog, they never did a visual. Sniffer, plug into OBD II, and test the gas cap is all I saw they do. In and out of the shop in 20 minutes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So are you saying that if we removed our cats, we will still pass CA smog with the sniffer?
    Yes I am familiar with the car in NY that has done so, just make sure the car is up to operating temperature (run it hard on the way there and let it idle with hood shut for a few in the parking lot first. Fact is a properly tuned car doesn't need cats to eliminate or reduce hydrocarbon emissions, it's only during the cold start phase when the engine isn't warm that off-road systems pollute more than catted.

I would go with an off-road system (get the most power for the least cost) and then later on if you need get the cats from them. They have an at cost deal on the cats if you already have an off-road system. This way you don't spend $ you don't have to, unless you have to. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
    Yes I am familiar with the car in NY that has done so, just make sure the car is up to operating temperature (run it hard on the way there and let it idle with hood shut for a few in the parking lot first. Fact is a properly tuned car doesn't need cats to eliminate or reduce hydrocarbon emissions, it's only during the cold start phase when the engine isn't warm that off-road systems pollute more than catted.

I would go with an off-road system (get the most power for the least cost) and then later on if you need get the cats from them. They have an at cost deal on the cats if you already have an off-road system. This way you don't spend $ you don't have to, unless you have to. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info. Click here to enlarge CA has the strictest smog regulations in the country, so not sure will it pass in CA with the sniffer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. Click here to enlarge CA has the strictest smog regulations in the country, so not sure will it pass in CA with the sniffer.
    Ca and NY are the worst. I am not sure if they are they same test, but I would wager they are. Again the MHP long tubes have passed all software smog testing in NY.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Have you guys every thought about selling your headers w/ HFC ?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I was talking to the local performance shop about the Long tubes without prim cats for the C63. He says the O2 sensors are never ready for emissions. Meaning there are "other ways" of getting around it-$$. This is for NY.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As long as it's up to temp it will pass in Cali (the sniffer).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Have you guys every thought about selling your headers w/ HFC ?
    MHP makes them with or without cats. They don't seem to quiet the cars down much which is why no one gets them with cats I believe. Plus you lose 20hp and torque, you don't see a 1.5-2mpg highway increase in fuel economy vs off-road, off-road is lighter and less expensive also, EGTs are higher than without, etc etc etc

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    I was talking to the local performance shop about the Long tubes without prim cats for the C63. He says the O2 sensors are never ready for emissions. Meaning there are "other ways" of getting around it-$$. This is for NY.
    If you're cool with the shop that performs your emissions test, you will never get harrassed with failing the test. You don't always need $$ to solve all your problems Jon! It pays to be nice sometimes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I am Jeff Click here to enlarge
    If you're cool with the shop that performs your emissions test, you will never get harrassed with failing the test. You don't always need $$ to solve all your problems Jon! It pays to be nice sometimes.
    Dude no matter how friendly or tight your with the shop your not going to pay only $37 for state inspection. I am friendly with this particular shop where he said its $200 to pass emissions-can you say bend over?Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dude no matter how friendly or tight your with the shop your not going to pay only $37 for state inspection. I am friendly with this particular shop where he said its $200 to pass emissions-can you say bend over?Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    I've never had any of these issues you speak of. In fact my cars never get strapped down and never rev'd. 37 bucks for the inspection is all I pay. That "friendly" shop of yours that is charging you 200 for that inspection is taking u for a fleecing. Time to find a new shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I've never had any of these issues you speak of. In fact my cars never get strapped down and never rev'd. 37 bucks for the inspection is all I pay. That "friendly" shop of yours that is charging you 200 for that inspection is taking u for a fleecing. Time to find a new shop.
    Are we on the same page? I'm mentioning about a Long Tube C63 where there are no cats. When they plug into the OBD2 it reads the sensors are not ready. Meaning you fail emissions. Right now I only have a tune and this is not a issue$37 for inspection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    this is rite i have a passed sticker Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

there's always a business somewhere that will pass your car......for a little extra something !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are we on the same page? I'm mentioning about a Long Tube C63 where there are no cats. When they plug into the OBD2 it reads the sensors are not ready. Meaning you fail emissions. Right now I only have a tune and this is not a issue$37 for inspection.
    We are talking on the same page. There are shops out there that can pass your inspection without them ever having to hook up to your cars OBD2. That's all I'm saying. I've done it and know countless ppl that pass without cats. It all depends on your relations with that shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

We are talking on the same page. There are shops out there that can pass your inspection without them ever having to hook up to your cars OBD2. That's all I'm saying. I've done it and know countless ppl that pass without cats. It all depends on your relations with that shop.
    Ok. But the shops that get around the OBD2 you have to pay extra. I never heard of a shop that only charges $37 for that kind of illegal procedure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok. But the shops that get around the OBD2 you have to pay extra. I never heard of a shop that only charges $37 for that kind of illegal procedure.
    Like I said, if you walk in off the streets, obviously they'll most likely refuse you or charge you a fee. I'm talking about building repoire with the shop and usually that fee is waived. That's just from my personal experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

dude - you drive an expensive car. Are you really saying that and extra c note or so is not worth the extra power ??? Quit being a cheap wad and pony up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    dude - you drive an expensive car. Are you really saying that and extra c note or so is not worth the extra power ??? Quit being a cheap wad and pony up...
    Its not the extra $. Its the obnoxious noise coming from Long tubes all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Its not the extra $. Its the obnoxious noise coming from Long tubes all the time.
    Quit being a pussy, that's why your car is so slow in the first place.

LTs are loud at cold start and when you floor it like they should be, you're driving a performance sedan with a large V8, maybe you need to trade in for a turbo 4 cylinder with nice quiet exhaust and outstanding fuel economy?

Otherwise get over it your car may be quiet, but it's slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast