Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Question Help! Paint chip

How should I repair a tiny chip? I don't want it to look like I dabbed on a drop of touch up paint with a brush.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Use a toothpick. Get some paint on it and dab a little on the chip. If you use the brush you will get a glob.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    www.drcolorchip.com...it's legit (Sticky - let me know if it's ok to offer websites that aren't sponsors - I am in no way affiliated with this website - although I wish I wasClick here to enlarge

Pics of my car (F*CKING SALT TRUCKS):

Before and After:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

^ amazing. I'll look into it when I get back to ny comp.

And don't worry about sharing info, sponsor or not

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To do it the traditional way, you'll need: isopropyl alcohol, primer, base coat, clear coat, various grades of wet sand (1500,2000), a lube for the wet sand, lacquer thinner, rubbing compound, polish, tiny brushes (or toothpick as above), masking tape, a rotary or porter cable, and LOTS of patience Click here to enlarge

I've lost the patience part .. after I repair one to near-perfection, another will appear elsewhere on the car. It might be easier and cheaper to get one of those mobile 'smart repair' guys to do it after you've collected a couple of chips..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I've seen that dr color chip - it almost seems too good to be true, i'll have to try it on the beater before I try it on the bimmer Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    (Sticky - let me know if it's ok to offer websites that aren't sponsors - I am in no way affiliated with this website - although I wish I was
    If it helps a member resolve their issue, not a problem linking to non-sponsors.

Heh, I have been getting a lot of questions like this as of late. You MB guys really have been living under lock and key for way too long.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've seen that dr color chip - it almost seems too good to be true, i'll have to try it on the beater before I try it on the bimmer
    It's a good product - really is color matched to the OEM paint color. I will eventually have to get the front resprayed but that's because I'm a douchbag that insists on driving in the winter (not my DD but it's AMAZING what cold air does to these enginesClick here to enlarge.
    If it helps a member resolve their issue, not a problem linking to non-sponsors.
    Heh, I have been getting a lot of questions like this as of late. You MB guys really have been living under lock and key for way too long
    What....What is this...common sense and putting members of the community first. . .I think I just shed a tearClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

That Drcolorchip thing looks really promising.
    Only $40 to get it over the ocean, and then 25% taxes here. Mmm, gonna have to think about that.
    On the other side, those blobs really annoy me now.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    It's a good product - really is color matched to the OEM paint color. I will eventually have to get the front resprayed but that's because I'm a douchbag that insists on driving in the winter (not my DD but it's AMAZING what cold air does to these enginesClick here to enlarge.
    3M film has done a great job protecting the front-end of my car this winter .. but one slipped through the net, must have been a small missile or comet .. went through the film and paint, leaving me with a little dent.

Other than that, the paint is flawless after a full winter of salt, grit, rocks, and so on! Now I wish I put 3M on my side skirts, as quite a few little chips have appeared there. Next car, I think I will 3M the entire car!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    3M film has done a great job protecting the front-end of my car this winter .. but one slipped through the net, must have been a small missile or comet .. went through the film and paint, leaving me with a little dent.

Other than that, the paint is flawless after a full winter of salt, grit, rocks, and so on! Now I wish I put 3M on my side skirts, as quite a few little chips have appeared there. Next car, I think I will 3M the entire car!
    Yeah, I totally was an idiot about the clear bra... I agree, next car - whole car is getting done!!!!!
    Click here to enlarge

George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i also have used dr. color chip. even on my now discontinued color they still have stock. i used it on rock chips on the bumper, and a few hater scratches from the garage. worked very well, let me know if you guys want my pics, but it seems motorkas has it handled Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Bah! You guys have convinced me, putting in my order tonight...