Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Am I doing this right? Taping the car prior to polish

err so I haven't exactly done this part before (masking car prior to detail) just wanted some advice since I've finally fully clayed the car and want to do a proper polish.

Is the tape covering too much? Thanks in advanced.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What equipment are you using to polish? Rotary or D/A?

Personally I use a Porter Cable most of the time -- and only tape up the trim in areas where I might catch it with a pad.

Even back in the day when I used rotary polishers more frequently, I never bothered to tape the panel gaps .. I polished to the edge, but made sure I went swiftly to avoid burning the paint in weaker areas.. The problem with taping the panel gaps, is that you might notice the lines between where you polished, and where you didn't. Also go easy on plastic panels if you are using a rotary .. I've seen people rip paint right off by being a bit over-zealous!

I'm certainly no expert though .. just a hobbyist Click here to enlarge

One extra little tip I'd throw in there, is put bags or newspaper over your wheels .. I hate getting polish splatter on the tires or in the brakes. No matter how careful I am, I always manage to get some splatter.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Using the PC7424XP (random orbital buffer) - still think it's necessary to tape up the edges? I think personally I shouldn't - just pop the hood/doors/trunk and clean the areas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Using the PC7424XP (random orbital buffer) - still think it's necessary to tape up the edges? I think personally I shouldn't - just pop the hood/doors/trunk and clean the areas?
    I wouldn't bother taping the edges.. just the trim. It's easy enough to clean after, and you want to make sure your polishing pad covers the entire painted surface. The PC is a very safe polisher, too, so I can't see it causing any damage, even on the edges. BMW even seems to put extra thick paint there.

Have fun, my arm is always ready to fall off after polishing an entire car .. Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

if you not sure tape it up! i dont tape much because ive been doing it for years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't bother taping the edges.. just the trim. It's easy enough to clean after, and you want to make sure your polishing pad covers the entire painted surface. The PC is a very safe polisher, too, so I can't see it causing any damage, even on the edges. BMW even seems to put extra thick paint there.

Have fun, my arm is always ready to fall off after polishing an entire car .. Click here to enlarge
    I just finished polishing 1/2 of hood, and I still see swirl marks Click here to enlarge I'm using Meg's ultimate Compound - it is safe on clear coats but is supposed to cut well. I'm thinking it is probably the pad I have that isn't doing the job?

I got this kit: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...asic-Kit-P335/

Using that LC White polishing pad to polish, and the pad that comes w/ the DA for the wax(finish).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

yeah, that white polish pad has little to no cutting power LOL, time to get me some new pads Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

err so I haven't exactly done this part before (masking car prior to detail) just wanted some advice since I've finally fully clayed the car and want to do a proper polish.

Is the tape covering too much? Thanks in advanced.
    Heh.. I just hire professionals. Fixing a screw up will cost quite a bit more and I don't like being mad at myself. Best guy in Houston from what I here... http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Roa...55227557866247

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    Heh.. I just hire professionals. Fixing a screw up will cost quite a bit more and I don't like being mad at myself. Best guy in Houston from what I here... http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Roa...55227557866247
    Thanks bud! Click here to enlarge

I need to learn as much as I can as I will be doing this on weekends for friends....for $ ofcourse, but I have a few beaters than I can practice on Click here to enlarge they have alot of swirls

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You probably need the LC orange pad, or yellow pad if the swirls are really bad. Always follow up with the white pad though .. you'll need to bring back the shine. I use the LC black pad for waxing .. or just do it by hand.

I wouldn't use the pad that came with the PC, I think it's more for buffing tables or counter tops Click here to enlarge It won't do any damage, but the pad might fall apart on you!

I would run a piece of tape down the middle of a panel, polish on one side .. then remove the tape to inspect the difference. Find a method that works, then repeat for the whole car Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by bigup; 04-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yeah, no more tape for me except on the trim, left a nasty little line which I had to buff out again.

I'll be picking up quite a bit of gear Click here to enlarge LC yellow, orange and blue pads. I have the white, and won't use the original pad for the wax.

Thanks for the tips Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem Click here to enlarge

I clayed my car this weekend, but didn't polish; I'm thinking about trying out some new products.

My claybar was filthy after; you should have seen the amount of fallout and particles that had attached to my paint over the winter, even with cleaning it every week!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    No problem Click here to enlarge

I clayed my car this weekend, but didn't polish; I'm thinking about trying out some new products.

My claybar was filthy after; you should have seen the amount of fallout and particles that had attached to my paint over the winter, even with cleaning it every week!
    Yeah, I had two thorough washes and my car is garaged, ridiculous amount of filth on the clay bar. I 'm scared to clay the cars that sit outside Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I had two thorough washes and my car is garaged, ridiculous amount of filth on the clay bar. I 'm scared to clay the cars that sit outside Click here to enlarge
    Imagine claying your average 5 year old soccer mom SUV .. one that has just seen the occasional automatic wash. Bet the surfaces on those are like 100 grit sandpaper.
    ~