created the thread Intake Port cleaning a new method and some interesting findings.
" So I decided to try a different idea when it came to intake cleaning. I wanted to skip the vacuum adapter and go with an adapter that bolts on and recycles the media. Along with this a recycling i thought the setup should boost the performance of the crappy vacuum style Harbor Freight blast gun that is known to get clogged where a good pressure style blaster does not. On this prototype I welded up some scrap aluminum into a box that can be bolted to the port, has the port opening on the back and a rubber boot on the front that can seal a $5 equivalent of the BMW wand. Using copper tubing and a cheap HF tubing bender I was able to get any angle I wanted and revert back if need be. While this design seemed to work really well, it recycled the media, it stayed clog free as long as the hose didn't kink I found a severe flaw in the port design that I haven't heard anybody mention. On the top of each port is a little hole, well apparently this hole is connected to some sort of chamber. I taped all the ports shut and after blasting the first port I found a few walnut pieces in the next port, after inspection they ended up in every port just from doing my first one. The easy solution was to shove a shop towel in each port and tape it back up I did eventually find that the two ports that had the valves slightly open did let some of the blast media into the cylinders. Although this is minor and supposedly the walnut shell you don't have to worry about it was still a slight headache I didn't want to deal with. Here's a pic of what I have going on, I used a microfiber towel and zip tie on top of the bottle to regulate how much pressure I wanted in the bottle and the spent media ended up stuck in there as a filter. All together what I didn't spill due to trial and error on designing it I only needed half a bottle of media for the entire job. Not saying this design is better than the vacuum collector but it seemed to work just as good and next year when I do it again I'll probably make something a little better as I hacked it up to sort of fit the first port and more permanent instead of a plastic bottle. I didn't do a before and after as I'm sure most have already seen how nasty they can be and what clean ports look like. Another trick I did like due to trial and error for the final chemical cleaner was a drill hooked up to a cheap plastic bristled brush with some duct tape. Running that thing in forward and reverse several times and different angles really helped get most of the remaining film on everything.
Edit: Noticed the tape I had plugging the suction hole on the intake adapter fell off, that was plugged to add some pressure from the return line. "
05-05-2013, 12:06 AM