Close

    • Renntech launches R3 M178 turbo upgrade package for the C190 Mercedes-AMG GT, GT S, GT C, and GT R

      Renntech continues to push forward on M178 development and unveiled their most powerful R3 turbo upgrade package. This M178 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 upgrade applies to all variants of the AMG GT including the S, C, and R models.


      What is included?

      • ECU Upgrade
      • BOV Adapters
      • High-Flow Air Filter
      • Stainless Steel Downpipes w/200Cell Cats
      • Stage II Turbocharger Upgrade

      The gains will vary based on which model gets the package as Mercedes-AMG offers the M178 in various states of tune:

      GT: +255 HP +181 LB-FT
      GT S: +225 HP +137 LB-FT
      GT C: +186 HP +111 LB-FT
      GT R: +152 HP +91 LB-FT

      Let's take a look at the output on the dyno:


      They get it to an excellent 670 horsepower at the wheels on pump gas. Torque is increased to 556 lb-ft at the wheels.

      Keep in mind the way Renntech goes about their M178 upgrades is different from their M177 upgrades. They limit torque delivery to preserve the driveline as the M178 is paired to a dual clutch transmission.

      Renntech's goal is OEM reliability with a whole lot more power and torque on tap.

      Additionally, look at that curve! The powerband is very broad and the upgrade keeps making power to redline without a massive torque drop off. These turbos are paired very well to the motor.

      A solid upgrade package as usual from Renntech.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: RENNtech R-Line | AMG GT Family | 761HP - 632 LB-FT started by RENNtech View original post
      Comments 8 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        EDIT: Whoops, totally misread this
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        That orange R is HOT.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        That orange R is HOT.
        Solid baseline to it too, 536 whp.
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        The 4.0L TT motor is turning out to be a great motor. However, on this platform, I still wish MB had kept the M157 5.5L TT motor and made updates to it instead. When you think about it, on simple bolt-ons and without a turbo upgrade, you could make close to the power you're making with the R3 package on the 4.0L TT motor; and definitely make more torque.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        However, on this platform, I still wish MB had kept the M157 5.5L TT motor and made updates to it instead
        I completely disagree. The 4.0 is more advanced and proves raw displacement isn't the primary goal just as the 6.0 liter V12 proved the same in comparison to the M157.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        hen you think about it, on simple bolt-ons and without a turbo upgrade, you could make close to the power you're making with the R3 package on the 4.0L TT motor; and definitely make more torque.
        This is paired to a dual clutch. They could push it further but they want it reliable. Renntech will have more for those who want it with transmission upgrades.
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I completely disagree. The 4.0 is more advanced and proves raw displacement isn't the primary goal just as the 6.0 liter V12 proved the same in comparison to the M157.



        This is paired to a dual clutch. They could push it further but they want it reliable. Renntech will have more for those who want it with transmission upgrades.
        I am not an expert but the only clear advantage I can seewith the 4L motor is the DCT on this platform. Im not sure if the intercoolingis air to air, or water to air. The location of the turbos on the 4L also helpswith faster spooling. However, I am curious to know how large of a turbo onecan upgrade to and fit in the stock location between the V. When it comes toall out mods and if I had to choose between the 4L and the 5.5L, I will still takethe 5.5L engine any day of the week for greater power making potential. Withall mods being relatively equal performed on the 4L and 5.5L motor, 10 psi ofboost on the 5.5L will produce greater power gains than 10 psi of boost on the4L motor. It reminds me of boosting the 7L Chevy Z06 and the 8.4L Dodge Viper. Witha centrifugal supercharger (Procharger) base kit, one could make about 750whp ona stock 8.4L motor.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        I am not an expert but the only clear advantage I can seewith the 4L motor is the DCT on this platform.
        The manifold design is the major advantage in addition to the DCT and lighter chassis.

        Look at how the BMW S63TU is doing compared to the M157 despite being smaller.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        I will still takethe 5.5L engine any day of the week for greater power making potential.
        The M157 doesn't have greater power making potential...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        It reminds me of boosting the 7L Chevy Z06 and the 8.4L Dodge Viper.
        It's not the same thing.