Close

    • Horsepower Freaks (HPF) Stage 4 E46 M3 S54 turbo puts down 925 whp

      First of, congratulations. Closing in on 1k hp at the wheels with an HPF Stage 4 setup is no small feat. Horsepowerfreaks has been advertising this as 970 whp which is what the car did put down uncorrected. The SAE corrected numbers are 925 whp and what we will go with. This car belongs to someone named Jason and it is a very, very impressive car.


      Uncorrected:


      Video:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Horsepower Freaks (HPF) Stage 3 E46 M3 S54 turbo puts down 925 whp started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 113 Comments
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        crazy numbers for an e46 m3
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
        crazy numbers for an e46 m3
        The S54 could do some ridiculous things if we had more people pushing it.
      1. 930chas's Avatar
        930chas -
        Sick car. The owner posted on e46f that he wont run it on the track because too much can go wrong, but he went from stage 3 to stage 4 because his car didn't pull a stage 2.75 on the street.......ummm.....yeah....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
        Sick car. The owner posted on e46f that he wont run it on the track because too much can go wrong, but he went from stage 3 to stage 4 because his car didn't pull a stage 2.75 on the street.......ummm.....yeah....
        Ya, that made me wonder. He wants more power because of a race outcome yet he won't run it on the track? So just for street racing?
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Maybe I'm blind but i didn't see anywhere in that thread about the track.
        Maybe I missed it.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        its $#@!ing insane, in from 4k rpm to 7k rpm it jumps 500 whp. that is one crazy ass power band. i need a ride in this $#@! badly.
      1. 930chas's Avatar
        930chas -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        Maybe I'm blind but i didn't see anywhere in that thread about the track.
        Maybe I missed it.
        It was in a different thread.
      1. nickr519's Avatar
        nickr519 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ya, that made me wonder. He wants more power because of a race outcome yet he won't run it on the track? So just for street racing?
        he may have been talking specifically about the drag strip that he wanted to avoid with respect to breaking driveline components on launch.. that seems kind of dumb though if you guys are right and he literally wants to avoid any and all tracks with that kind of power
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
        he may have been talking specifically about the drag strip that he wanted to avoid with respect to breaking driveline components on launch
        Yep, I can understand that.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
        that seems kind of dumb though if you guys are right and he literally wants to avoid any and all tracks with that kind of power
        He clearly wants to race... so he can do some 60-130 times at least I would think.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        $#@!ty powerband but nice power
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        $#@!ty powerband but nice power
        Not like big power Supras look better.
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The S54 could do some ridiculous things if we had more people pushing it.
        I think the problem is they are very expensive to obtain and maintain by comparison. I would most definitely be looking into one if it wasnt for that. I already own a s38 and that is expensive to maintain so i dont want another S motor for now.
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        its $#@!ing insane, in from 4k rpm to 7k rpm it jumps 500 whp. that is one crazy ass power band. i need a ride in this $#@! badly.
        Actually, its more like crazy peak power because it only levels out near peak power for ~1000 rpm. Now if it were near peak power @ 4k and held it to 7k, it would have a crazy power band.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        $#@!ty powerband but nice power
        I disagree, and I'm surprised that you would say that.

        It has over 600rwtq from 5500 to 8000 RPM, which is a pretty fat torque band. Match the gear ratios up, and you'll see that the shift points fall within this powerband for every gear. The only tough thing would be launching, but I think that's more an issue of driver skill than anything else. (Most people have no idea how to slip a clutch, I know you know what I mean)

        That said, I have known for a long time that the "bottleneck" of the HPF systems is the flow rate of the Meth system. If they could increase the meth delivery, we'd see more power above 7000 RPM in everything from Stage 2 to Stage 4 kits. The only way I can see them doing this is by adding a second Meth stage. (The pump is pretty much maxed out with what they are doing now) On race cars, I've seen an average of 13% difference in HP between race fuel and Meth....the power is in the fuel.

        Edit: The HPF kits are also probably at the limit of what a single point of meth injection can safely deliver evenly cylinder to cylinder. I think the best path of delivery for serious power would be a second fuel rail for meth and injectors mounted at the top of each runner. That's a pretty expensive project though, as the existing ECU I dont think can handle staged injection and 12 injectors. So...direct port Meth would be the more practical way to deliver the meth evenly between cylinders. Might take 2 three cylinder systems to deliver the volume for a Stage 4 car though....

        I think I may scare HPF guys a little bit with my posts...they rarely respond to any of my comments. LOL I totally respect what they are doing though.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        The only way I can see them doing this is by adding a second Meth stage. (The pump is pretty much maxed out with what they are doing now)
        Why can't they use a different pump than the one they are now?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        I think the problem is they are very expensive to obtain and maintain by comparison. I would most definitely be looking into one if it wasnt for that. I already own a s38 and that is expensive to maintain so i dont want another S motor for now.
        The S38 is a whole different league, way more expensive to maintain but actually arguably a better turbo platform. More displacement, easier tuning, more options, etc.

        The problem with the S54 is there is only one option, HPF. Nothing against them, it just hurts us as costs stay up and we don't see the competition we do in the S50 sector.

        You ever post details on your S38?
      1. nickr519's Avatar
        nickr519 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
        $#@!ty powerband but nice power
        yeah you have nothing against hpf, just the owners. for sure. Click here to enlarge
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        Actually, its more like crazy peak power because it only levels out near peak power for ~1000 rpm. Now if it were near peak power @ 4k and held it to 7k, it would have a crazy power band.
        thank you for the clarification!
      1. mbowdo20's Avatar
        mbowdo20 -
        I believe I saw that this car is now getting a wide body like the other Stage 4 cars, power is a bit unusable without it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mbowdo20 Click here to enlarge
        I believe I saw that this car is now getting a wide body like the other Stage 4 cars, power is a bit unusable without it.
        Yes it is, I'm wondering if they strengthen the rear end at all with these as well?