Close

    • M157 AMG turbochargers successfully swapped onto C218 Mercedes CLS550 M278 4.7 liter V8

      The Mercedes M278 and M157 engines may differ in displacement but they are the same basic design. They actually share many commonalities. While the M278 is not an AMG engine the M157 is basically just an M278 engine on steroids.


      The M278 has a bore and stroke of 92.9mm x 86mm and the M157 has a bore and stroke of 98.0mm x 90.5mm. The motors share the same basic block and obviously the same cylinder count.

      Since the early days that the M278 went on the market in Mercedes 550 models people have wondered what M157 parts would transfer over if any. Well, wonder no more. A C218 CLS550 owner who goes by the name 'gardevski' on the forums swapped the M157 turbochargers onto his CLS550.


      The result?

      Quote Originally Posted by gardevski
      The car is prepared for the ECU tuning at the end of this week. The exhaust and turbochargers are installed and all fitted great. I can confirm that the turbochargers are direct swap with no additional or any other parts needed except the gaskets and o-rings (it's recommended to use new when changing or repairing turbocharger)

      Will post dyno and photos of the exhaust and downpipes installation. Will keep you informed.
      Quote Originally Posted by gardevski
      I have good news. The car was completed today and run 680hp on 91gas and 700+ on 93. I can tell you that this is a true beast. It's noting compared to the stock turbos.. Will prepare all the details tomorrow when i have more time including the dyno run and will let you all know more detail
      The problem? He did not post the dyno run or details. We do not doubt he did it we just would like to see proof as well as information on who tuned the setup.

      Suddenly the M278 looks like a Mercedes tuning value.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: M157 AMG turbochargers successfully swapped onto C218 Mercedes CLS550 M278 4.7 liter V8 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 8 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Who would have guessed that Mercedes would end up delivering one of the most interesting tuning platforms at this point? Simple things like swapping turbos from hotter models or full drivetrains from car A with a motor from car B... prettttty cool. Can we make it cheap next?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Who would have guessed that Mercedes would end up delivering one of the most interesting tuning platforms at this point? Simple things like swapping turbos from hotter models or full drivetrains from car A with a motor from car B... prettttty cool. Can we make it cheap next?
        The 550 models are a pretty good value namely used.

        This swap is similar in a sense to swapping RS6/RS7 turbos to the S6/S7. Now if only some BMW tuner could figure out an S63 to N63 turbo manifold swap.
      1. Zeee_Q's Avatar
        Zeee_Q -
        In that case, a hybrid turbo such as the Weistec W3 package should bolt on to the CLS 550 also. Guess we will finally find out how much that extra displacement in the M157 is helping.
      1. 65AMG's Avatar
        65AMG -
        Don't want to be too pessimistic, because I am always open for direct swaps of original parts, because the parts themselves are proven.

        But if you put more power on another engine, you should do a lot of research what parts are different in the engine itself. Normally AMG always make some "hidden" work in the engine to strengthen it for a higher output in the longrun, like special pistons or piston cooling, tweaked fuel pump, transmission and so on.

        I wish you good luck with your projects! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zeee_Q Click here to enlarge
        In that case, a hybrid turbo such as the Weistec W3 package should bolt on to the CLS 550 also. Guess we will finally find out how much that extra displacement in the M157 is helping.
        This is a good point and it makes you wonder why no tuner simply sells their M157 turbos for the M278? I mean the development is done all they need is a tune and it's easy money.

        It makes me think this is maybe not quite so easy.
      1. vdubpower's Avatar
        vdubpower -
        can we get an analysis of how the 2 turbos differ, is there a major difference or was it just a compression thing, obviously the m157 is almost a liter larger which makes a difference but its not the same situation with rs7/s7 because both are 4.0
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vdubpower Click here to enlarge
        can we get an analysis of how the 2 turbos differ, is there a major difference or was it just a compression thing, obviously the m157 is almost a liter larger which makes a difference but its not the same situation with rs7/s7 because both are 4.0
        True.

        I wish we had the breakdown of the specs for both...
      1. blowns4's Avatar
        blowns4 -
        Gardevski's car looks very fast from the looks of this video