Close

    • More and More ESS E9X M3 S65 Supercharger Kit Owners Adding Meth - ESS Meth Install Photos

      We recently came across another meth kit being installed on an ESS supercharged M3. It is great to see more M3 owners embracing meth due to the added cooling and safety on the motor. Here you will see an install of an aquamist meth kit done by RS WORX. Supercharged M3 owners outside of Gintani have been some of the last in the BMW community to embrace meth due to being scared off by comments such as this by Roman@ESS: "Once you add a system like water / meth to the kit you increase not only the complexity and maintenance but you also increase your risk of having issues." We look forward to seeing more ESS customers adding meth to their high compression, supercharged applications.

      The car here is a VT2-600 and we hope to see dyno numbers after the install.











      Now On with the Sexyness











      Modified 335i Bracket









      Dual Aquamist Methanol Ports Directly into the Plenum











      This article was originally published in forum thread: More and More ESS E9X M3 S65 Supercharger Kit Owners Adding Meth - ESS Meth Install Photos started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 32 Comments
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        so sickClick here to enlarge
      1. Nate@IND's Avatar
        Nate@IND -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't think IND has (Nate can answer) but if a customer requested it I am sure they could accommodate.
        That's correct but we have a customer that will be installing a aqua mist soon.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nate@IND Click here to enlarge
        That's correct but we have a customer that will be installing a aqua mist soon.
        Thanks Nate, please be sure to document the install. We want to dispel those old rumors and show people there is nothing to fear from running meth especially if correctly installed by a competent shop (like IND).
      1. gixxer_kidd's Avatar
        gixxer_kidd -
        subscribed. just heard about aquamist for the very first time yesterday. guess i need to come out under my rock a little more often.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd Click here to enlarge
        subscribed. just heard about aquamist for the very first time yesterday. guess i need to come out under my rock a little more often.
        They make a good meth kit but if IND does do the aquamist install it will likely be in another thread.

        Nate, make sure you post it up, there is a bit of interest Click here to enlarge
      1. ZR1638's Avatar
        ZR1638 -
        Sticky

        You keep saying ESS said its dangerous to run meth but I have never seen a quote from they stating that. can you post a link where they said this ? All I have seen them ever post about meth is that is adds a higher chance of failure due to having additional hardware to the car which is does. It also increases installation complexity which they said it does, this is also true. It sounds like they just dont want to bother selling and supporting meth systems. G-power and Dinan have decided to also not use meth in their systems so I dont think its just an ESS decision. Meth systems have nozzle and pump failures and for a vendor can be a pain im sure to support especially when you do high volume like Dinan, G-power and ESS do. Most im sure would prefere not to use meth if they did not have to but there are a few guys that would like the customer in this thread. For these guys there are several good aftermarket systems they can purchase and install to satisfy their need for additional power.

        As far as safety running meth it will over long periods of use eat away at certain metals and coatings this is why there are mixed feelings with its use. When used in a progressive design that comes on for short periods can help aid in cooling and performance on FI and be for the most part safe. I would just stay away from a system that is always on as a daily driver or a system that depends on the meth system to keep the motor safe but in the end it is all personal preference.
      1. gareth.foley's Avatar
        gareth.foley -
        Looks pretty badass. I'm sure this has been discussed already but I'm new here so I apologize in advance but why was the use of meth frowned upon?
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gareth.foley Click here to enlarge
        Looks pretty badass. I'm sure this has been discussed already but I'm new here so I apologize in advance but why was the use of meth frowned upon?
        I remember some people calling it a "Band-Aid". Saying a properly tuned kit doesn't need meth. Which is a joke.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZR1638 Click here to enlarge
        You keep saying ESS said its dangerous to run meth but I have never seen a quote from they stating that. can you post a link where they said this ?
        I posted the quote in the first post where Roman states that ESS does not advise adding meth as it can cause issues.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZR1638 Click here to enlarge
        All I have seen them ever post about meth is that is adds a higher chance of failure due to having additional hardware to the car which is does. It also increases installation complexity which they said it does, this is also true. It sounds like they just dont want to bother selling and supporting meth systems.
        They don't do it for several reasons, what is the true reason who knows but here is what Roman states:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roman@ESS Click here to enlarge
        We will not do meth on any of our kits. Asbjorn has never been a fan of meth injection when it comes to tuning FI.
        Not a fan of meth when it comes to tuning, hmm. You need a competent tuner to get the most out of a meth setup.

        Since they don't sell kits with meth they say it can cause issues, I do not think that is right. Their SC can potentially cause issues as well, any of them can.

        An SC increases complexity does it not? Yet this is safe but somehow meth isn't?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZR1638 Click here to enlarge
        As far as safety running meth it will over long periods of use eat away at certain metals and coatings this is why there are mixed feelings with its use.
        If you run 100% meth through non insulated rubber parts you may have a problem. Water-meth in won't eat away at your pistons or anything like that if you have a proper mix and inject it correctly.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZR1638 Click here to enlarge
        Meth systems have nozzle and pump failures and for a vendor can be a pain im sure to support especially when you do high volume like Dinan, G-power and ESS do.
        Why would the SC company have to support it? The maker of the meth kit supports their meth kit. Does ESS support exhausts used with their kits? Of course not, different parts that are unrelated.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZR1638 Click here to enlarge
        I would just stay away from a system that is always on as a daily driver or a system that depends on the meth system to keep the motor safe but in the end it is all personal preference.
        HPF has shown you do not need to stay away from meth on a daily driver, and they have a lot of miles to back it up.
      1. beedub's Avatar
        beedub -
        sticky... have you seen how many parts fail in the hpf install where meth is used frequently??? i can assure you some of the plastic parts look like theyve been in a fire, i think meth is a good solution but it makes other parts fail over time which usually wouldnt fail, what is it doing to the parts that we cant see? i really do wonder, i would love to open a motor that has had meth sprayed over a good few years to see the condition of parts ect ect i can definatly tell you plastic and rubber parts are eaten away frighteningly quickly..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beedub Click here to enlarge
        sticky... have you seen how many parts fail in the hpf install where meth is used frequently??? i can assure you some of the plastic parts look like theyve been in a fire, i think meth is a good solution but it makes other parts fail over time which usually wouldnt fail, what is it doing to the parts that we cant see? i really do wonder, i would love to open a motor that has had meth sprayed over a good few years to see the condition of parts ect ect i can definatly tell you plastic and rubber parts are eaten away frighteningly quickly..
        Of course some plastic and rubber parts will be eaten away but many meth tanks are plastic.

        I haven't seen an HPF motor fail due to the meth injection specifically.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        plastic intake manifolds "may" suffer and become brittle over time