Close

    • Here it is, the 1M Coupe - Pictures and Official Specs, 335 hp N54 - The new M "era" begins

      Here we finally have it. No more teaser videos, no more showing a fender here or there, no more hype, this is the real deal. BMW gives us the final product and by no accident chose to show it with the E30 M3. Putting the 1M Coupe which has accomplished nothing up on the lofty pedestal of comparisons with the E30 M3, arguably the greatest BMW M ever made, is not showing the E30 M3 the proper respect. It is not a spiritual successor to the E30 M3. However, that is a debate for another time and let's focus on the specs and photos.

      The motor and tune is the exact same as the 335is and 2011 Z4 sDrive35is. Nothing special here folks, same N54, same 335 hp. Disappointing? In our opinion, for an M, yes. This shares the same motor as other cars in the lineup with no changes. Not even a different tune? In our opinion, the powerplant is a major letdown.

      The transmission is a 6-speed with extra cooling which it no doubt will need for the guys who take this thing out of the track. It sends power to the "M" differential which is just a part derived from the E92 M3. The borrowing from the M3 does not stop there, as the suspension is lifted from the M3 as well. Starting to see a pattern here? No doubt you see it with the wheels which are lifted from the M3 competition package with 245/35/19 and 265/35/19 tire measurements. How about those brakes? Lifted from the M3 as well.

      So far we have a parts bin car with the same motor already available and the same parts that were already designed. So... where is the "M" magic? In the body work of course. Look at those great fenders! The car certainly looks like it is a real M car. That counts, why do you think we got all those teasers of fenders and bumpers?

      The car will sell, they will sell every last one. People have already bought the hype. This isn't an E30 M3 and never will be one. As the guys at insideline put it so well, "No doubt the carmaker would like to recast the 2011 BMW 1 Series M as a spiritual successor to that beloved M3. That's a pipe dream." It is a great looking car that will be fun to drive but this new M era has us shaking our heads in disappointment of what M has now become.


















      This article was originally published in forum thread: Here it is, the 1M Coupe - Pictures and Official Specs, 335 hp N54 - The new M "era" begins started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 146 Comments
      1. Obioban's Avatar
        Obioban -
        This is the first car BMW has made since the e46 that has actually seriously interested me. Can't wait to test drive it.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        i read somewhere this car is ten seconds quicker around the ‘Ring than the E46 M3,is it true?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
        i read somewhere this car is ten seconds quicker around the ‘Ring than the E46 M3,is it true?
        Haven't seen any official ring times yet. The best time the E46 M3 ever put down was a 7:50 though, I would say this will get nowhere near.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Man that was CSL time with slick tires ,regular M3 E46 time is 8:22 so 1M should be as quick as Z4 M with 8:12
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
        Man that was CSL time with slick tires ,regular M3 E46 time is 8:22 so 1M should be as quick as Z4 M with 8:12
        The CSL is still an E46 M3, right? We need to be specific.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        You are right but i think nobody can imagine this car can do it in 7:40
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
        You are right but i think nobody can imagine this car can do it in 7:40
        Exactly my point, this car will get nowhere near what the best the E46 M3 did in CSL trim. If it gets into low 8's that will be a great achievement.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        If it was on slick tires the time of 7:50 doesn't really count...
        The car was not street legal.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        If it was on slick tires the time of 7:50 doesn't really count...
        The car was not street legal.
        The tires were street legal, they were Michelin Pilot Sport Cups which come as an option.

        Anyway, check the front page 1M coupe ring time posted.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        First time I hear he lied about his nos shot...can you provide proof of that?

        If he did lie and rely did use a larger shot N54 engine still took it without a problem...him spraying through shifts on his auto tranny and him ruining his 6AT tranny that way has nothing to do with the N54 engine itself...on a 6MT or on a 6AT with nitrous spraying after the shifts maybe he would've been in the 10s for all we know...with his engine still very much alive and ticking...

        Look, you have to realize I'm not saying n54 has MORE potential than the S65...I'm saying it has a lot MORE in itself and we currently have no idea where that is...it's all up to the market and tuners to take it there...if that doesn't happen the s65 may stay at where it is right now and n54, while maybe less potential, gets more attention and work put in it than the s65..



        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        ESS doesn't use meth, they don't count because they don't do it right.

        Hotrod wasn't running a small shot of nitrous, he lied, and what do you think happened to his car?

        The M3 is running at 12.0:1 compression. Sorry, bud, it is no comparison. An s65 at 20 psi+ is well over 800 whp. You have no idea what it is in store or what is already done. It is like comparing the S54 to the N54, the N54 isn't in the same league. You are vastly overestimating your puppy, no bite to go with the bark.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        First time I hear he lied about his nos shot...can you provide proof of that?

        If he did lie and rely did use a larger shot N54 engine still took it without a problem...him spraying through shifts on his auto tranny and him ruining his 6AT tranny that way has nothing to do with the N54 engine itself...on a 6MT or on a 6AT with nitrous spraying after the shifts maybe he would've been in the 10s for all we know...with his engine still very much alive and ticking...

        Look, you have to realize I'm not saying n54 has MORE potential than the S65...I'm saying it has a lot MORE in itself and we currently have no idea where that is...it's all up to the market and tuners to take it there...if that doesn't happen the s65 may stay at where it is right now and n54, while maybe less potential, gets more attention and work put in it than the s65..
        Can I provide proof? Well, not exactly, I don't have photos of his jets but I do know he told someone else what he was really running and this got back to me. Would I invent it out of the blue?

        The engine took it, absolutely. I would expect it to, but the tranny didn't and I feel sorry for whoever has his lease now.

        Look, I respect the N54. The puppy comment was obviously to rile you up I meant no insult. However, I feel many in the N54 crowd get a bit ahead of themselves. DI for the N54 will always hold it back so in my opinion the S65 is simply a better tuner platform and on the high hp scale I would say is getting far more attention. The N54 is a better platform for easy tuning early on in the hp scale but beyond a certain point it makes no sense.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
        nothing like the sound of a cammed v8Click here to enlarge
        I might be stepping down this road in the next year Click here to enlarge
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Well, you're the first person that would ask for proof on everything tuning related so, yes, I'd like to see/hear some concrete proof on him lying...please regard this as your investigation into the ESS numbers or any other "tuner claim" forum "investigation" you did, and just forget about it until there's real proof...I sure hope you wouldn't invent it out of the blue and don't think you did but you're going by just someone's hearsay..

        Don't we all get a bit ahead of ourselves all the time when it comes to cars? Why even modify them? You say S65 is a better tuner platform...maybe, but I really don't know what you're basing that on...tuning kits have just recently started to come out...an OEM turboed platform has ALWAYS been a better tuner platform due to lower cost of entry and availability of aftermarket parts...if by better you mean 1000hp+ then that's a different argument...You can't have a street legal car and put down more than 650whp on the street on this platform...with slicks yes but if you make your car require those on a regular basis you can't drive them on the street so you've actually built yourself a dedicated dragster and I say congrats, you just lost the point why you got an M3 to begin with...

        By the way, here's some facts on the hotrod's 11.33@132.77mph 1/4 mile pass (not hearsay):

        http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...74&postcount=1

        In summary, his words (believe what you will obviously):

        This was done on a pretty mild .28 jet size. (Dry setup)
        All runs were done on about 97 octane (100pump gas mixed with 91 octane).
        The 11.33 @132.77 mph run was done on a fairly mild map#8. (Usually 12-13psi, 15 pk)
        Stock rear exhaust including cat, stock intercooler, no LSD, no Line Lock, no MS109.
        Passenger seats removal, Braille Battery, 17” K1s with Hoosier DR.


        **** By the way, he still owns his 2008 335i coupe...where did you get the idea he gave it up to someone else on a lease?



        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Can I provide proof? Well, not exactly, I don't have photos of his jets but I do know he told someone else what he was really running and this got back to me. Would I invent it out of the blue?

        The engine took it, absolutely. I would expect it to, but the tranny didn't and I feel sorry for whoever has his lease now.

        Look, I respect the N54. The puppy comment was obviously to rile you up I meant no insult. However, I feel many in the N54 crowd get a bit ahead of themselves. DI for the N54 will always hold it back so in my opinion the S65 is simply a better tuner platform and on the high hp scale I would say is getting far more attention. The N54 is a better platform for easy tuning early on in the hp scale but beyond a certain point it makes no sense.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Considering the 1M's weight and the ZR-1's weight, the 1M would have to be making close to 550 whp considering what the ZR-1 dyno's. I haven't seen that from a single turbo N54. You guys vastly overestimate it.
        You haven't seen it, but some people have.


        Sticky, so little faith you have. You will see. Click here to enlarge

        BTW, I just got banned from Bimmerpost. I don't even know why, I didn't do anything wrong.....

        I honestly want to hurt that site as much as possible. If anyone suggestions, PM me.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Im gonna chase one down with an LS6 swap LOL
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        Well, you're the first person that would ask for proof on everything tuning related so, yes, I'd like to see/hear some concrete proof on him lying...please regard this as your investigation into the ESS numbers or any other "tuner claim" forum "investigation" you did, and just forget about it until there's real proof...I sure hope you wouldn't invent it out of the blue and don't think you did but you're going by just someone's hearsay..
        The person I'm going by was there and I would simply say who it was and have them post but I said I would not say so I will not violate that confidence. So that leave me in a bit of a pickle but if you want to explain why the numbers are so radically different from everyone else, it would add up wouldn't it? Or is everyone else off? He ran a larger shot and lied like the $#@! he is, there is a reason he won't challenge this as this is true.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        Don't we all get a bit ahead of ourselves all the time when it comes to cars? Why even modify them? You say S65 is a better tuner platform...maybe, but I really don't know what you're basing that on...tuning kits have just recently started to come out...an OEM turboed platform has ALWAYS been a better tuner platform due to lower cost of entry and availability of aftermarket parts...if by better you mean 1000hp+ then that's a different argument...You can't have a street legal car and put down more than 650whp on the street on this platform...with slicks yes but if you make your car require those on a regular basis you can't drive them on the street so you've actually built yourself a dedicated dragster and I say congrats, you just lost the point why you got an M3 to begin with..
        The S65 is a better tuner platform, that is simply how it is. An OEM turbo platform is not always a better platform. The S54 is superior in every way to the N54, what are you talking about? Who cares what you consider too much power for the street? That is an entirely different debate but N54's aren't anywhere near 650 whp, they haven't even cracked 600 with nitrous.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        By the way, here's some facts on the hotrod's 11.33@132.77mph 1/4 mile pass (not hearsay):

        http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...74&postcount=1

        In summary, his words (believe what you will obviously):
        Using hotrod's times from a car he broke and then got BMW to fix because he works for them is a joke. That time was an anomaly at a strip that has gotten even worse for clocking fast times. He ran too large of a shot for the car to handle and had to get rid of it and unfortunately BMW paid to fix it. There is no hearsay here, that is what happened. Why do you think the car quietly disappeared? Why do you think he had to give up and go away? LOL, if you think that car was running similar parts or even the same software as everyone else you are mistaken.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        You haven't seen it, but some people have.


        Sticky, so little faith you have. You will see. Click here to enlarge

        BTW, I just got banned from Bimmerpost. I don't even know why, I didn't do anything wrong.....

        I honestly want to hurt that site as much as possible. If anyone suggestions, PM me.
        Hahaha, you probably got caught in the cross fire of a banning spree. You hurt them by posting here and helping make this place better.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The person I'm going by was there and I would simply say who it was and have them post but I said I would not say so I will not violate that confidence. So that leave me in a bit of a pickle but if you want to explain why the numbers are so radically different from everyone else, it would add up wouldn't it? Or is everyone else off? He ran a larger shot and lied like the $#@! he is, there is a reason he won't challenge this as this is true.
        I guess I have to just take your words for face value here...ok..


        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The S65 is a better tuner platform, that is simply how it is. An OEM turbo platform is not always a better platform. The S54 is superior in every way to the N54, what are you talking about? Who cares what you consider too much power for the street? That is an entirely different debate but N54's aren't anywhere near 650 whp, they haven't even cracked 600 with nitrous.
        No one said N54 cracked 600 or 650whp, geez...you're so anal on this N54 inferiority topic that its getting pretty ridiculous...



        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Using hotrod's times from a car he broke and then got BMW to fix because he works for them is a joke. That time was an anomaly at a strip that has gotten even worse for clocking fast times. He ran too large of a shot for the car to handle and had to get rid of it and unfortunately BMW paid to fix it. There is no hearsay here, that is what happened. Why do you think the car quietly disappeared? Why do you think he had to give up and go away? LOL, if you think that car was running similar parts or even the same software as everyone else you are mistaken.
        He didn't ruin his engine on that 132.77mph run...and who gives flying f* how he went about dealing with it in the context of this discussion...whatever...i don't know the car disappeared, he still has his 2008 coupe AND his new diesel...even if he did get rid of it, who gives a F*CK honestly man, who cares about those details, what's your point with this last paragraph? ethics? awesome..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        No one said N54 cracked 600 or 650whp, geez...you're so anal on this N54 inferiority topic that its getting pretty ridiculous...
        It is what it is, I'm saying you are overestimating it. We have talk about this car running with ZR-1's already, I mean come on.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        He didn't ruin his engine on that 132.77mph run...and who gives flying f* how he went about dealing with it in the context of this discussion...whatever...i don't know the car disappeared, he still has his 2008 coupe AND his new diesel...even if he did get rid of it, who gives a F*CK honestly man, who cares about those details, what's your point with this last paragraph? ethics? awesome..
        Exactly, ethics. Just goes to show that a person who lies about how they go about it would likely lie about what they do to it as well. Therefore you should put little stock in what that clown writes.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        We have talk about this car running with ZR-1's already, I mean come on.
        Yeah, but that's just talk, we all know that...

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Exactly, ethics. Just goes to show that a person who lies about how they go about it would likely lie about what they do to it as well. Therefore you should put little stock in what that clown writes.
        Up until now I didn't realize he'd be up to saying/doing that sh*t...always seemed legit to me...is this just based on what you heard from "that" guy that time or has it come to light in some thread at one time or another?