• Over 500 whp already out of the 2015 BMW F80 M3? Yep. BMS JB4 tuned S55 turbo inline-6 ethanol (E85) testing shows 539 wheel horsepower

      So, um, yes, you can say the new F80 M3 and F82 M4 respond pretty well to bolt on modifications. Journalists are still getting their hands on stock cars to test but Burger Tuning (BMS) already has the car over 500 wheel horsepower. This is not too surprising as with a mild bump in boost on a beta Stage I BMS tune the car already showed 479 horsepower at the wheels. Now with some further refinement to the tune and some ethanol (E85) the result is over 500 whp.

      Here are the details in the words of Terry@BMS:




      Hey guys,

      Got back from a couple hours of dyno tuning and came back with some interesting results. This car definitely likes E85...

      The JB4 now has full electronic wastegate control in addition to the fuel mass control & CANbus, paving the way for E85 testing. The test car is our 2015 DCT M3, 100% stock with a JB4, with ethanol mixed with 91 octane at 30-50%.

      I've been running E30 for the last week on a tune that ramps up to around 25psi and I've been very impressed with it. On the dyno today running that same trim resulting in a very consistent ~510whp / ~510wtq results. Although the turbo holds boost to redline it looks like shifting around 6000 rpm will result in the best acceleration results as power noses off above that.

      While I had it strapped down I decided to explore more aggressive power levels. Added a little more E85 and went on an hour long adventure through many different curves and tweaks. Finally arrived at a 28psi peak tune which yielded ~540whp / ~575wtq. I've not tested this much on the street so we'll have to see how viable it is. But this just goes to show you how much room was left on the table for tuning with this platform.

      This car is an animal.














      This article was originally published in forum thread: 2015 M3 JB4 Ethanol Testing & Dyno started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 276 Comments
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        @Terry@BMS
        what's the real CR do u think, i can't believe it's 10.2
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Can't wait for someone to open the turbos up and see if they fit bigger wheels!

        pretty funny the factory s55 ends up revving like a tuned n54... With obviously a bit more power coming out of the however much larger turbos

        awesome numbers so soon after release... Keen for FBO numbers
      1. B00stGeek's Avatar
        B00stGeek -
        Great work Terry.. Round of applause!!! This is making me seriously second guess a 997 turbo purchase.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B00stGeek Click here to enlarge
        Great work Terry.. Round of applause!!! This is making me seriously second guess a 997 turbo purchase.
        997.1 Turbo = best mass production Porsche ever made IMHO, COBB + Injectors + E85 = 600 whp easy peasy, but this new Bimmer is MUCH better than most could have hoped
      1. B00stGeek's Avatar
        B00stGeek -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        997.1 Turbo = best mass production Porsche ever made IMHO, COBB + Injectors + E85 = 600 whp easy peasy, but this new Bimmer is MUCH better than most could have hoped
        Hard not to consider an M4 when its showing such results like this so early on. But the 911 turbo has always been on my bucket list. 550-600whp would be enough for me since I'll still have my turbo e46 m3 thats putting out a lot more power.
      1. spool twice's Avatar
        spool twice -
        non sense, the S65 is never obsolete, but in the output to price ratio, hard to beat the S55. Glad to see BMW didnt cripple the engine/turbo's too much to get almost N/A-like throttle response.
      1. onisyndicate's Avatar
        onisyndicate -
        What is the actual curb weight of the M3? and how much lighter is it to the M5, or M6 grand coupe?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
        @Terry@BMS
        what's the real CR do u think, i can't believe it's 10.2
        Seems lower. Or maybe the vANOS system is bleeding off cylinder pressure somehow. Shrug.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        What is the actual curb weight of the M3? and how much lighter is it to the M5, or M6 grand coupe?
        Best numbers I have are ~3590 for the M3 vs. ~4375 for the M5.
      1. ezec63's Avatar
        ezec63 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because a turbo car has gains with a tune? LOL ok.
        Lol get that thing a parachute it's falling off a cliff After 6K rpm. It's back into the lower 4xx wheel area by the end of the dyno and was cut 500 rpm early
      1. rudypoochris's Avatar
        rudypoochris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Seems lower. Or maybe the vANOS system is bleeding off cylinder pressure somehow. Shrug.
        Interesting thought on VANOS bleed.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
        Lol get that thing a parachute it's falling off a cliff After 6K rpm. It's back into the lower 4xx wheel area by the end of the dyno and was cut 500 rpm early
        I've been shifting it at 6000rpm. Did a quick run at the 500whp level and it managed 126mph on the VBOX. Not too shabby for a tune only car. Definitely E90 M3 supercharger territory. Click here to enlarge
      1. VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        VargasTurboTech -
        Let the S65 guys talk all they want. Turbo motors always have been and always will be more efficient than an NA motor, now that technology allows a turbo motor car to have similar characteristics to that same NA car, but better in every way there is nothing but win going on. The S65 people are going to be V8 NA purists because that is what they like. The actual facts clearly show which is the better engine. They can close their eyes and scream nah nah nah all they want, it won't change the fact
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Best numbers I have are ~3590 for the M3 vs. ~4375 for the M5.
        with driver and full tank?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Add in driver. Figures include maybe 1/3 tank of gas.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Let the S65 guys talk all they want. Turbo motors always have been and always will be more efficient than an NA motor, now that technology allows a turbo motor car to have similar characteristics to that same NA car, but better in every way there is nothing but win going on. The S65 people are going to be V8 NA purists because that is what they like. The actual facts clearly show which is the better engine. They can close their eyes and scream nah nah nah all they want, it won't change the fact
        Don't start. Why bother?

        NA motors can't be turbo'd?

        What happens when you turbo the BETTER motor?

        It isn't about being NA purists. It isn't about anything like that.

        Race me Vargas. I'll show you what's up.
      1. Sered's Avatar
        Sered -
        I sense a lot of used supercharger kits hitting the market soon... we'll have to see what happens in the turbo market. The S65 has a lot of untapped potential.

        I guess I'll be picking up a M4 in 2-3 years Click here to enlarge
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        For the price of a new m3 you can pick up a nice used e90 m3 and sc it but one will have a new car warr and be a new car. Both are great choices. The low end tq on the s55 will make it a more fun dd but neither will be obsolete.
      1. B00stGeek's Avatar
        B00stGeek -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        For the price of a new m3 you can pick up a nice used e90 m3 and sc it but one will have a new car warr and be a new car. Both are great choices. The low end tq on the s55 will make it a more fun dd but neither will be obsolete.
        How much would a ESS-625 kit cost you... Bc this tuned M4 still makes maybe slightly more power and a lot more torque than the 625 e90 m3. So I guess you could come out with more money in your pocket if you bought an older, cheaper e90 m3.
      1. The Ghost's Avatar
        The Ghost -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
        Lol get that thing a parachute it's falling off a cliff After 6K rpm. It's back into the lower 4xx wheel area by the end of the dyno and was cut 500 rpm early
        Are we looking at the same graph? I see a car with a HUGE power band, with 80% of its power from 4k to redline. It's wide and almost flat. This, IMO, is far preferable vs. making peak hp at redline (single turbo N54, any S65, etc.). Area under the curve is better.

        Attachment 39047