• Mercedes shows off the exhaust note of the 2015 AMG GT's 4.0 liter twin turbo M177/M178 engine

      Mercedes is paying attention to the quality of the exhaust sound in their upcoming AMG GT sports car. This is nice to see considering that some German manufacturers are choosing to play exhaust sounds through the car's speakersto mitigate the subdued tone of their turbocharged motors. Fortunately AMG is not faking it and is well aware of how subdued the AMG GT's exhaust sound has seemed in testingso they decided put up a few sound clips.


      Here is the start and idle:


      Some lights revs:


      Heavier revs:


      The motor certainly does not sound bad but it does not have the bark that the SLS AMG offered with its M159 V8. Turbos will muffle the exhaust note somewhat but AMG seems to be doing a good job keeping the tone aggressive while still being environmentally friendly.
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Mercedes shows off the exhaust note of the 2015 AMG GT's 4.0 liter twin turbo M177/M178 engine started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 78 Comments
      1. ezec63's Avatar
        ezec63 -
        Deff no comparision to a m156/159 in sound but will prob make great bolt on power. Atleast it sounds way better then the s63tu that thing just sounds like a UFO
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        It still seems a bit muffled. An aftermarket exhaust will do wonders on this car.
      1. Maverick1975's Avatar
        Maverick1975 -
        First thing I would do if I owned one would be rip out the cats and resonators! Boom!
      1. M177's Avatar
        M177 -
        Wow ! How always AMG impress us with there new engines & keeping there prints with V8 muscle
        Sound & as that engine will Be toped mounted turbo &
        Still the guys in AMG keep the prints with the amazing muscle sound ��
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Oh lawd.
      1. -=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
        -=Hot|Ice=- -
        I love that last 'brraaapp' when it lets off the gas, sort of like a last breathe, and starts coming back down to idle. I hope the C63 AMG has the same thing.
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M177 Click here to enlarge
        Wow ! How always AMG impress us with there new engines & keeping there prints with V8 muscle
        Sound & as that engine will Be toped mounted turbo &
        Still the guys in AMG keep the prints with the amazing muscle sound ��
        Now MBZ needs to impress with lighter weight cars that handle like a BMW.
      1. M177's Avatar
        M177 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        Now MBZ needs to impress with lighter weight cars that handle like a BMW.
        Loved your point your absolutely right, and this link will make you happy maybe 


      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        Now MBZ needs to impress with lighter weight cars that handle like a BMW.
        Mercedes Benz are light years ahead of BMW in :
        - Quality
        - Reliability
        - Performance
        - Luxury
        - Dependability

        My SLS will handle and rape any stock BMW at any road course, FACT!
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        Mercedes Benz are light years ahead of BMW in :
        - Quality
        - Reliability
        - Performance
        - Luxury
        - Dependability

        My SLS will handle and rape any stock BMW at any road course, FACT!
        Pretty arrogant and generalized statement that isn't based on fact whatsoever, unless you've done it - which you haven't. And your car isn't stock so why say you would race and "rape" any stock BMW ? Clearly you haven't spent much time on track with M3's because in the right hands they are very quick. Add equal mods as you have, long tubes and matching tune, and your overweight, overpriced front engined pig SLS would have a hard time beating a similarly modded E93 M3.

        FACT:

        SLS AMG
        Skidpad .96g
        Slalom Speed 67.8 mph
        Braking 60-0(ft) 98


        BMW M3

        Skidpad .98g
        Slalom Speed 72.5mph
        Braking 60-0(ft) 100

        So, while your SLS may come out on top in braking by a mere 2ft, the STOCK E93 M3 kills the SLS through the slalom course and beats it in the grip department on the skidpad. Add long tubes and a tune to the M3 and I have no doubt that any competent driver would destroy your SLS on just about any road course. FACT!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        The M3 is a very competent car on the roadcourse. The SLS obviously also does well.

        Is driver skill the most important variable here? Yes. But the main thing is the SLS power advantage.

        You take an SLS Black Series and things change. You take an M3 GTS and things also change.

        Very competent cars either way.
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Pretty arrogant and generalized statement that isn't based on fact whatsoever, unless you've done it - which you haven't. And your car isn't stock so why say you would race and "rape" any stock BMW ? Clearly you haven't spent much time on track with M3's because in the right hands they are very quick. Add equal mods as you have, long tubes and matching tune, and your overweight, overpriced front engined pig SLS would have a hard time beating a similarly modded E93 M3.

        FACT:

        SLS AMG
        Skidpad .96g
        Slalom Speed 67.8 mph
        Braking 60-0(ft) 98


        BMW M3

        Skidpad .98g
        Slalom Speed 72.5mph
        Braking 60-0(ft) 100

        So, while your SLS may come out on top in braking by a mere 2ft, the STOCK E93 M3 kills the SLS through the slalom course and beats it in the grip department on the skidpad. Add long tubes and a tune to the M3 and I have no doubt that any competent driver would destroy your SLS on just about any road course. FACT!

        ahahahahahah. The 500rwhp man is back. Not arrogant you piece of $hit. I went up against many stock and modified M3's in Lusail international circuit here in Qatar and they did not even come close. A friend of mine with a STOCK C63 BS killed an M3 at a the same road course last week.

        I also went up against an ESS supercharged M3 at the Qatar Mile last November. You can see the results at the website. I was trapping 5mph more than the supercharged M3 in 800 meters with my "pig" NA SLS

        Go back to your 500rwhp fantasy you douchebag
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        FACT:

        SLS AMG
        Skidpad .96g
        Slalom Speed 67.8 mph
        Braking 60-0(ft) 98


        !
        AHHAHAAHHAAHAH. FACT my A$$

        Where did you get this?. Well I also have better data in terms of slalom speed for the SLS form the followng link:
        http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roada...S-AMG_data.pdf


        71.8mph

        You see now you idiot? These numbers are based on a one single trial run. They are not static and obviously can be changed from one driver to another based on driving skills and surley they are not precise and they cannot be depended on.

        Lined up together a stock M3 will get brutally RAPED by a stock SLS on a road course or on a straight run. Its actually laughable that you cant see that. Really shows that you actually have not seen these two cars go up against eachother...NOW THATS A FACT


        Now get lost before you go crying to sticky for offending you so much
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        ^ Your car is not a pig, you are by your idiotic comments.
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        ^ Your car is not a pig, you are by your idiotic comments.
        And I suppose your not for having to post that comment twice? looool

        well we agree on one thing at least.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        Mercedes Benz are light years ahead of BMW in :
        - Quality
        - Reliability
        - Performance
        - Luxury
        - Dependability

        My SLS will handle and rape any stock BMW at any road course, FACT!
        Gee at $200,000 it would want to wouldn't it shag

        Also no need to call anyone names here girls !

        Click here to enlarge
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        Gee at $200,000 it would want to wouldn't it shag
        Shag?

        Money is Irrelevant in this discussion
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge

        Also no need to call anyone names here girls !

        Click here to enlarge
        Mind your own buisness please. This douchebag and I have a long dark history in this forum. Your new and you don't know
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        Mind your own buisness please. This douchebag and I have a long dark history in this forum. Your new and you don't know
        No need to get angry with me mate and I am not that new here !
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        No need to get angry with me mate and I am not that new here !
        Not angry with you, just askin to mind your own matters