Close

    • Stock 2014 W212 E63 AMG S 4Matic vs a cammed C6 Z06 on the dragstrip

      Interesting matchup here that definitely shows the difference driver skill can make on the strip. The C6 Z06 is obviously lighter than the E63 AMG S 4Matic. The difference is just over 1000 pounds so it is significant. In stock form the C6 Z06 is capable of beating the E63 AMG S let alone when modified with an aftermarket cam, tune, and exhaust. The result here though is close runs and it is all due to the quality of the launch.


      The E63 is all wheel drive and automatic. Launching the car is not rocket science. One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas to brake boost, and let go of the brake. Traction is not a problem and that is why in the first race it easily jumps out of the hole on the Z06. The Z06 obviously has the power to weight advantage and manages to reel in the E63 running 11.89 @ 131 to the E63's 11.90 @ 120.19.

      In the second run the Z06 modulates the throttle better getting an improved launch off the line but the E63 still takes it out of the hole. The Z06 owner rows the gears pretty well until it sounds like he misses a gear and lets off. Whoops, it happens even to the best of them.

      With a manual sometimes you can be faster as this Z06 most definitely is but still lose.

      [


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Stock 2014 MB E63 AMG S vs Modded C6 Z06 (cams, exhaust and tune) started by vtknight View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Interesting matchup here that definitely shows the difference driver skill can make on the strip. The C6 Z06 is obviously lighter than the E63 AMG S 4Matic. The difference is just over 1000 pounds so it is significant. In stock form the C6 Z06 is capable of beating the E63 AMG S let alone when modified with an aftermarket cam, tune, and exhaust. The result here though is close runs and it is all due to the quality of the launch.


        The E63 is all wheel drive and automatic. Launching the car is not rocket science. One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas to brake boost, and let go of the brake. Traction is not a problem and that is why in the first race it easily jumps out of the hole on the Z06. The Z06 obviously has the power to weight advantage and manages to reel in the E63 running 11.89 @ 131 to the E63's 11.90 @ 120.19.

        In the second run the Z06 modulates the throttle better getting an improved launch off the line but the E63 still takes it out of the hole. The Z06 owner rows the gears pretty well until it sounds like he misses a gear and lets off. Whoops, it happens even to the best of them.

        With a manual sometimes you can be faster as this Z06 most definitely is but still lose.

        This is true. Worse still for the Z06 owner - I was in pure auto as a weak link to this car is the MCT which doesn't always actually shift when you want it to in manual.
        The last race - he mis-shifted into fourth (which is painful). He came back to the track with DR's and ran a high 10 and low 11 at about 131-133 MPH.
        He and the shop that tuned his car know me from my GTR and we had a laugh over it.

        Like I said - no illusions over which car is faster. But as Sticky said - traction and launch control can do wonders (despite my best 1.91 60 foot which isn't breath-taking by any stretch). I hope to figure out how to lower my tire pressure without triggering an alert that seems to after launch control.
      1. zod's Avatar
        zod -
        on the streets that zo6 would pretty much never win, unless the driver is very good. If we are talking low speed or from stand still runs
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zod Click here to enlarge
        on the streets that zo6 would pretty much never win, unless the driver is very good. If we are talking low speed or from stand still runs
        Why not? On the highway it will win pretty easily.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Interesting that the E63 barely cracked 120 in the trap, given it's an S model. What were the conditions like?
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Interesting that the E63 barely cracked 120 in the trap, given it's an S model. What were the conditions like?
        I averaged 122 MPH - but these runs were after 3-5 back to back passes. My first gear was not optimal as my 1.95 average 60 foots showed (remember I was at 50 psi on my stock tires). On another outing with 41-46 psi tires and 2-3 back to back passes I hit 11.74 and 11.71 at 122 MPH - with a best 1.89 60 foot. MT and R&T have hit 11.6 and 11.5 respectively at 122 and 123 MPH. DA was okay (about 1200) and track prep poor. I think with a good track prep I should be able to hit a high 11.6 which is fairly close. I know this track well and I hit 11.2-11.6 with my GTR when I was only tune and exhaust at about 125 MPH. Stock 2009-2011 GTR's tend to hit 11.9-12.1 at 118-120 MPH. So the numbers aren't too bad.

        One thing about the E63 is its consistency trap and ET wise. I hit a worst 11.9 (and averaged 11.8 - for 5 passes in a row) - but my trap never dipped below 120 and never above 122.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        122 sounds about right.
      1. ValveBucket's Avatar
        ValveBucket -
        I say Corvette win. It is more speed. 131mph. But driver no good driving.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Well yes, it is the faster car and significantly so.
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ValveBucket Click here to enlarge
        I say Corvette win. It is more speed. 131mph. But driver no good driving.
        Lol - my first sentence says I know the Z06 is faster (even stock it would be faster).
        That said - traction is important...or it was my baby-seat.
      1. ValveBucket's Avatar
        ValveBucket -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vtknight Click here to enlarge
        Lol - my first sentence says I know the Z06 is faster (even stock it would be faster).
        That said - traction is important...or it was my baby-seat.
        yes yes. Sorry my friend. English is not main language. 50/50. But I understand perfect.
      1. ValveBucket's Avatar
        ValveBucket -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well yes, it is the faster car and significantly so.
        Of course my boss
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ValveBucket Click here to enlarge
        yes yes. Sorry my friend. English is not main language. 50/50. But I understand perfect.
        That's okay - I don't even have a second language...Click here to enlarge
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vtknight Click here to enlarge
        I averaged 122 MPH - but these runs were after 3-5 back to back passes. My first gear was not optimal as my 1.95 average 60 foots showed (remember I was at 50 psi on my stock tires). On another outing with 41-46 psi tires and 2-3 back to back passes I hit 11.74 and 11.71 at 122 MPH - with a best 1.89 60 foot. MT and R&T have hit 11.6 and 11.5 respectively at 122 and 123 MPH. DA was okay (about 1200) and track prep poor. I think with a good track prep I should be able to hit a high 11.6 which is fairly close. I know this track well and I hit 11.2-11.6 with my GTR when I was only tune and exhaust at about 125 MPH. Stock 2009-2011 GTR's tend to hit 11.9-12.1 at 118-120 MPH. So the numbers aren't too bad.

        One thing about the E63 is its consistency trap and ET wise. I hit a worst 11.9 (and averaged 11.8 - for 5 passes in a row) - but my trap never dipped below 120 and never above 122.
        Alright that makes sense. I was going to say about 122-123, since stock M5s are about there too. Maybe a bit more power but way less torque so I feel it would even out. Also I think most of the mags got around 122. Thanks for the info. Definitely a very consistent car, the 4matic really helps for that I'm sure.
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Alright that makes sense. I was going to say about 122-123, since stock M5s are about there too. Maybe a bit more power but way less torque so I feel it would even out. Also I think most of the mags got around 122. Thanks for the info. Definitely a very consistent car, the 4matic really helps for that I'm sure.
        I don't have any experience with M5's but the mags have them at about 117-119 MPH? The Competition Package M5 traps almost identically to the E63 S with 2 more HP and much less torque. That said its ETs have been much slower (11.9 and 12 flat for MT and R&T respectively).

        The loss of ET likely from the RWD.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Mag times have been slower, I've seen much quicker private owner times all over I'll have to try to dig them up. Not trying to take anything away from your car at all, these things are beasts. Crazy ETs too due to the AWD. Got any plans to mod it?
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Mag times have been slower, I've seen much quicker private owner times all over I'll have to try to dig them up. Not trying to take anything away from your car at all, these things are beasts. Crazy ETs too due to the AWD. Got any plans to mod it?
        Lol - no. That said it's fair to say I have the bug. This is my daily and it's a lease - so I am doing my best not to.

        I have a highly modded GTR (so to be even more highly modded - 1600+ awhp) - so that's enough.

        This is also why I don't really care about what it does - it's very fast for what it is (there's a video of my two cars (well not MY cars - but the same two cars - and years - I have) racing each other - both stock. The E63 S wins).

      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Haha oh man. Not even a tune huh? Click here to enlarge But like you say...it's pretty damn good stock. Doesn't really need anything. Sounds like your GTR has the horsepower covered hah
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Haha oh man. Not even a tune huh? Click here to enlarge But like you say...it's pretty damn good stock. Doesn't really need anything. Sounds like your GTR has the horsepower covered hah
        The tune isn't that easy to my knowledge. Unlike my GTR which plugs into the car - you apparently have to get at the actual ECU of the car which is locked (and glued) in a plastic case. There are two ways I know of that are used to get at it; drilling a hole in the case and heating the case to melt the glue and then opening the case. I don't like either approach.

        Like I said - I have a baby seat in my car. It's a family vehicle.
        I recognize there is a massive amount of potential for the E63 - but as you pointed out - I have my hands full with the GTR. If I owned the E63 I would likely at least tune it - but I don't (if not just to help the shifting of the car - which is it's weakness).
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Meh, tune the damn thing Click here to enlarge
      1. vtknight's Avatar
        vtknight -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Meh, tune the damn thing Click here to enlarge
        Lol - not if I can help it. I will be going to the track weather permitting this Wednesday with a whole-many of Mustangs and GTRs - so it should be interesting...video to come...