Close

    • Turbo vs naturally aspirated AMG power - 2013 Renntech tuned E63 AMG M157 vs 2014 Weistec tuned SLS AMG Black Series M159

      Here is a great comparison featuring the best naturally aspirated V8 powerlpant in AMG's history going up against AMG's newer turbocharged design. The M159 V8 in the SLS Black Series is a 6.2 liter naturally aspirated V8 and this particular car is tuned by Weistec along with featuring long tube headers. As Weistec Engineering demonstrated last month their SLS Black Series tune with headers is good for over 600 horsepower at the wheels on 91 octane pump gas.


      The E63 AMG is a 2013 rear wheel drive model. This car has a tune from Renntech along with RADO downpipes said to be good for around the 630 wheel horsepower range. Torque is in the turbo M157's favor with 735 lb-ft at the wheels. The M159 by contrast has 463 lb-ft at the wheels which is a very large difference on paper. Nobody will deny turbocharged motors are capable of big torque numbers.

      That said, the SLS Black Series features tighter gearing and a much higher redline at 8000 rpm. It's a motor with a definite breathing advantage at higher revs.

      Power and torque are in the E63's favor (at a lower rpm) but the SLS Black Series is roughly 600 pounds lighter. The SLS also has a dual clutch transmission whereas the E63 is using the MCT wet-clutch automatic.

      So what happens? A great race is what happens. The SLS gets a slight lead thanks to its shift speed advantage and manages to pull in the lower gears. Up top once the cars spend more time in gear the E63 is able to inch back but not enough to win the race. It's close at the markers with the Black Series slightly ahead.

      Simply a great run from two great AMG motors that employ different, yet very effective, strategies.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Turbo vs naturally aspirated AMG power - 2013 Renntech tuned E63 AMG M157 vs 2014 Weistec tuned SLS AMG Black Series M159 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. cturbos's Avatar
        cturbos -
        Great race,what headers were used on the B/S?
      1. johnnyblaze's Avatar
        johnnyblaze -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cturbos Click here to enlarge
        Great race,what headers were used on the B/S?
        I believe it did. Looks like the one they had in the headers video, it also sounded very loud on the downshift. Having a M156 with headers myself, the sound is very close. I doubt there are that many red SLS BS's running around.
      1. cturbos's Avatar
        cturbos -
        I know,it was stated in the article,but who made the headers?
        Thank you
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Anyone want to do a quick price comparison between the 2 cars.....Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cturbos Click here to enlarge
        I know,it was stated in the article,but who made the headers?
        Thank you
        Weistec's own maybe?
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        Makes no sense to do a price comparison between the two cars as they serve two completely different purposes. That said, I'd love to have both in my stable!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BK63AMG Click here to enlarge
        Makes no sense to do a price comparison between the two cars as they serve two completely different purposes.
        Bingo.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        BINGO! So basically you made a front page article out a two cars that serve completely different purposes doing what? Racing around a road course? Maybe a salom course, skidpad? Nope, you front paged an article of two cars doing a rolling drag race. So yes it makes PERFECT sense to do a price comparison. Its that pesky little thing called bang for your buck. If you want to race these 2 cars in a straight line and make a story out of it, then if one costs 3 times as much and is slightly faster than yes its completely relevant. Just like it would be relevant if you took them to a road course and the black destroyed the E63. Price would surely be a factor there too, because now you are paying for a purpose built track car that obviously out performs the E class. So yeah bingo.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        BINGO! So basically you made a front page article out a two cars that serve completely different purposes doing what? Racing around a road course? Maybe a salom course, skidpad? Nope, you front paged an article of two cars doing a rolling drag race. So yes it makes PERFECT sense to do a price comparison. Its that pesky little thing called bang for your buck. If you want to race these 2 cars in a straight line and make a story out of it, then if one costs 3 times as much and is slightly faster than yes its completely relevant. Just like it would be relevant if you took them to a road course and the black destroyed the E63. Price would surely be a factor there too, because now you are paying for a purpose built track car that obviously out performs the E class. So yeah bingo.
        Tony, sometimes you get riled up way too quickly. Heh, man, this is a cool comparison of two different powerplants. That is it.

        Two very different cars and of course the SLS Black Series is a ton more money. It isn't even a straightline car it just happens to be fast in a straightline as well.

        To me, this is as cool as engine comparisons get when you get two very different approaches running like this.
      1. Roll racer's Avatar
        Roll racer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        BINGO! So basically you made a front page article out a two cars that serve completely different purposes doing what? Racing around a road course? Maybe a salom course, skidpad? Nope, you front paged an article of two cars doing a rolling drag race. So yes it makes PERFECT sense to do a price comparison. Its that pesky little thing called bang for your buck. If you want to race these 2 cars in a straight line and make a story out of it, then if one costs 3 times as much and is slightly faster than yes its completely relevant. Just like it would be relevant if you took them to a road course and the black destroyed the E63. Price would surely be a factor there too, because now you are paying for a purpose built track car that obviously out performs the E class. So yeah bingo.
        lol, you gonna be ok tiger ?
        Sounds like your all butt hurt about a roll race event in which you can run anyone with any car.
        Maybe next time these guys should talk about money and how much they have in their car before they race ?
        lol. Your math = Ricer Math
      1. BK63AMG's Avatar
        BK63AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        BINGO! So basically you made a front page article out a two cars that serve completely different purposes doing what? Racing around a road course? Maybe a salom course, skidpad? Nope, you front paged an article of two cars doing a rolling drag race. So yes it makes PERFECT sense to do a price comparison. Its that pesky little thing called bang for your buck. If you want to race these 2 cars in a straight line and make a story out of it, then if one costs 3 times as much and is slightly faster than yes its completely relevant. Just like it would be relevant if you took them to a road course and the black destroyed the E63. Price would surely be a factor there too, because now you are paying for a purpose built track car that obviously out performs the E class. So yeah bingo.
        No idea why you're so fired up. Nobody buy's an E63 for the sole purpose of racing in a straight line on an air strip - it's a performance luxury car that just happens to be rocket ship fast. The SLS Black is a purpose built, street legal race car optimized for track use.They are two completely different cars that just happen to be racing in a straight line. IMO, it doesn't make sense to compare pricing as neither car is engineered, built or sold for the sole purpose of "roll racing". Click here to enlarge
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Not really fired up, just find it pretty interesting when people pit a 350K car against an 80K car in a performance test, ANY performance test and then throw price of admission out the window. Makes zero sense. I mean not like people buy performance carsand upgrade them to go fast or race other cars, be in roll racing drag racing, street racing, or road racing. So since no one buy these cars for those purposes, then yes you are right. Price doesn't matter. Carry on
      1. George Smooth's Avatar
        George Smooth -
        If I spend SLS money on a car it must lay the law in all aspects.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
        If I spend SLS money on a car it must lay the law in all aspects.
        Truth!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        Not really fired up, just find it pretty interesting when people pit a 350K car against an 80K car in a performance test, ANY performance test and then throw price of admission out the window. Makes zero sense. I mean not like people buy performance carsand upgrade them to go fast or race other cars, be in roll racing drag racing, street racing, or road racing. So since no one buy these cars for those purposes, then yes you are right. Price doesn't matter. Carry on
        The motor that is available on the SLS Black Series is based on he M156 that is in the C63 AMG which is cheaper than either. It goes to show the potential of the engine.