• The world's most powerful F10 M5 / S63TU currently stands at 678 wheel horsepower thanks to methanol injection

      So you know those people who say meth is bad? No not high school guidance counselors those people on automotive forums who try to scare you away from methanol injection. Try to argue methanol is bad when the results you are about to see show the BMW S63TU 4.4 liter direct injected twin turbo V8 loving the stuff. The octane benefit can not be denied and the reality is a proper meth system with failsafes makes for a motor that resists detonation to a greater degree than it would on pump gas making it safer.


      What does methanol do for the F10 M5 and S63TU? Oh, it just bumps the output to 678 wheel horsepower on a Dynojet in STD correction. Torque goes to 641 lb-ft at the wheels. The 678 peak wheel horsepower figure comes with a 628 peak lb-ft of torque reading.

      Regardless, compare these results to what was achieved without methanol injection. The octane bump is allowing a timing increase that increases output by roughly ~40 wheel horsepower. Peak torque does not increase by much although the area under the curve and the top end definitely does.

      Meth is good for you.












      This article was originally published in forum thread: M5 Meth Testing started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Unreal. This is awesome. And still with a piggyback tune and stock turbos. And looks like a stock intake too. So much potential with this engine it's not even funny. Only about 50-55 whp shy of what a tuned/turbo-upgrade M157 makes. Really great work.
      1. boostaholic786's Avatar
        boostaholic786 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Unreal. This is awesome. And still with a piggyback tune and stock turbos. And looks like a stock intake too. So much potential with this engine it's not even funny. Only about 50-55 whp shy of what a tuned/turbo-upgrade M157 makes. Really great work.
        WOW WOW WOW!!!! those are some MAJORLY impressive numbers...That JB looks really familiar Click here to enlarge Well I bet this platform with different turbos are going to break 1000whp. I dont know if it can handle it meaning internals and transmission but lets see who blows up first Click here to enlarge We have to find the breaking point sometime right?
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Felt good to be there and witness the beast break a new WR.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostaholic786 Click here to enlarge
        WOW WOW WOW!!!! those are some MAJORLY impressive numbers...That JB looks really familiar Click here to enlarge Well I bet this platform with different turbos are going to break 1000whp. I dont know if it can handle it meaning internals and transmission but lets see who blows up first Click here to enlarge We have to find the breaking point sometime right?
        That's what I'm saying....this car could probably hit 700 whp with an intake, filters, and straight pipes. Also, there's a company now that's making exhaust manifolds for this engine. Without even a flash tune or turbos or on pump gas, should be able to get close to/match whatever an M157 is doing. And yeah...I think once the ECU gets cracked (or with a standalone) plus turbos...there will be some huge power gains. This engine is just out of control.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        These runs were at ~21psi. I think at ~23psi it would break 700rw. We'll continue working on it as time permits.
      1. alextremo's Avatar
        alextremo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        These runs were at ~21psi. I think at ~23psi it would break 700rw. We'll continue working on it as time permits.
        Any chance you will come out with something similar for the n63?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
        Any chance you will come out with something similar for the n63?
        Due to the low volume we're not going to release a meth kit specific to the x63 motor. But to get meth workong on the x63 platform is relatively easy. You just need a Stage2 board, this special firmware, our FSB, and any meth kit. Our 1g and 2.2g kits would work great and include the FSB. Or buy the FSB itself for $150 on our site and use any meth kit you want.
      1. The Ghost's Avatar
        The Ghost -
        What's causing the power plateu then increase from 5.5k to redline? It's odd to see a factory turbo car have a linear powerband peaking at redline (looks like you aren't out of turbo yet). Is boost tapering?

        Looks good T.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
        What's causing the power plateu then increase from 5.5k to redline? It's odd to see a factory turbo car have a linear powerband peaking at redline (looks like you aren't out of turbo yet). Is boost tapering?

        Looks good T.
        It's a DCT car. The DME sometimes holds back boost in the midrange for those in dyno situations. It depends on the RPM you floor it at and whether you roll in to the gas or just floor it.
      1. George Smooth's Avatar
        George Smooth -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        It's a DCT car. The DME sometimes holds back boost in the midrange for those in dyno situations. It depends on the RPM you floor it at and whether you roll in to the gas or just floor it.
        Could it be torque limitation for longevity of the box?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
        Could it be torque limitation for longevity of the box?
        It's just part of the lame DCT torque management logic. Our N55 135i DCT does the same thing at 280whp or 390whp if you start the run at 2000rpm. But not if you start it at 1500rpm. The dyno trick to getting around it is starting the pull at just the right RPM so it doesn't engage the torque limiting. For these runs with the M5 I didn't care enough to find that spot.
      1. alpinedevil335's Avatar
        alpinedevil335 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        Felt good to be there and witness the beast break a new WR.
        +1!!

        Beautiful car and sounds beast!
      1. NikB316's Avatar
        NikB316 -
        Very nice! Hoping you guys will be offering this for sale. Would love go have a nice safe kit. The car & DCT feels like it will handle 700whp/700wtq without issue. BMW has done a nice job with the DCT on this car. My former m3's DCT at 400wtq definitely started to feel like it didn't belong.

        Gotta love stock turbos Click here to enlarge downpipes + piggyback + meth for 1/4 the price of throwing a blower on the m3.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NikB316 Click here to enlarge
        BMW has done a nice job with the DCT on this car. My former m3's DCT at 400wtq definitely started to feel like it didn't belong.
        BMW didn't do anything, it was Getrag. It's the same basic unit by the way.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        when is the Meth setup coming out ? i am ready to get it now lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
        when is the Meth setup coming out ? i am ready to get it now lol
        You can go with any meth setup right now.
      1. mpower33's Avatar
        mpower33 -
        what are the exact mods ?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mpower33 Click here to enlarge
        what are the exact mods ?
        On this M5? You have to ask @Terry@BMS
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Mods are in the first post.
      1. crazylegs's Avatar
        crazylegs -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mpower33 Click here to enlarge
        what are the exact mods?
        looks like stage 1 tune and meth kit only