Close

    • Officially official - Here is your brand new and not so light 2015 F83 M4 convertible - 4055 pound curb weight

      So remember all that marketing fluff about how light the new M3 and M3 would be? Yeah... go ahead and forget all that BS. It is true that the new 2015 F84 M4 convertible is lighter than the E93 M3 it replaces. It is also true that the difference in weight is less than 100 pounds. At 4055 pounds the car is 90 pounds lighter than the E93 M3. It is still over 4000 pounds and it is still fat. Compare the quoted 4055 M4 convertible curb weight to the quoted 3585 pound curb weight for the F82 M4 coupe.

      The drop top gains almost 500 pounds, ouch. Not that 3585 pounds is as light as we were led to believe anyway. How close these weights are to reality we will have to see as BMW figures often differ due to sometimes using EU weights with luggage and sometimes not (basically they choose the lightest figures they can when the marketing warrants it). It is possible that the cars weigh less than the given BMW figures but however you look at it the weight loss claims have been vastly overblown.

      The weight gain and the folding hard top are the main differences between the coupe and convertible. Everything else is the same including the 425 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque twin turbo S55B30. BMW's official specifications on the BMWUSA website show the bore and stroke figures as flipped from what was earlier reported. For some reason they also show the bore and stroke in inches but the bore and stroke as quoted is exactly the same as the N55. This may be a mistake or the previous reports of the S55 and N55 not sharing the same undersquare design are wrong. BMW's official stance seems to be that they are the same which is not good news (shared pistons, rods, torque drop off toward redline, high piston speeds, etc.). When something seems too good to be true...

      Pricing has yet to be announced and the official debut is later this month at the New York Auto Show.






































































      The New BMW M4 Convertible
      Legendary top-down motoring from BMW M

      Woodcliff Lake, NJ April 3, 2014 6:00pm EDT/3:00pm PDT. . . The all-new BMW M4 Convertible arrives in US showrooms late this summer to join the M4 Coupe and M3 Sedan. The 2015 BMW M4 Convertible is powered by the same BMW M TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter inline-six as its siblings. That engine produces 425 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque and can be mated to either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed M-DCT transmission. The new BMW M4 Convertible makes its world debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show.

      The new inline-6 M engine: High-revving, turbocharged unit combines the best of both worlds. Like the new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe, the new M4 Convertible sees a return to an inline-six engine, as used on the second and third generations of this iconic open sports car. The new turbocharged engine combines the best of both worlds reaching a maximum 7,600 rpm, it is unusually high-revving for a turbocharged engine, resulting in linear power delivery over a wide engine speed range and a soulful engine note, while M TwinPower Turbo technology ensures that peak torque is on tap over a broad rpm range. A further hallmark of this engine is its outstanding efficiency.

      The new engine sees a power upgrade over the previous V-8 to 425 hp, which is delivered between 5,500 and 7,300 rpm. Peak torque has been increased by roughly 40 percent to 406 lb-ft, and is maintained over a very wide rev band (1,8505,500 rpm). The sprint from zero to 60 mph takes the new BMW M4 Convertible just 4.4 seconds with the 6-speed manual. Equipped with the 7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission, this number falls to 4.2 seconds. Top speed is 155 mph (electronically limited). The BMW M TwinPower Turbo engine hits maximum revs of 7,600 rpm, in keeping with the typically high-revving character of M engines.

      The M TwinPower Turbo technology comprises two fast-responding mono-scroll turbochargers, High Precision Direct Injection, Valvetronic variable valve timing and Double- VANOS continuously variable camshaft timing. Valvetronic and Double-VANOS work in tandem to seamlessly control intake valve lift. The result is smooth and efficient power delivery, very sharp response and reduced fuel consumption and emissions.

      The six-cylinder engine features a closed-deck crankcase design which is very rigid and allows cylinder pressures to be increased for improved power output. And instead of liners, the cylinder bores feature a twin-wire arc-sprayed coating, which results in a significant reduction in engine weight.

      Engine weight is further reduced by the forged, torsionally rigid crankshaft which, as well as saving weight, also provides increased torque-carrying capacity. This significantly reduces rotating masses, resulting in improved throttle response and acceleration.

      Innovative technologies delivering top-level performance.
      Power transfer in the BMW M4 Convertible is via a standard six-speed manual gearbox. Available as an option is the seven-speed Double Clutch Transmission M-DCT, which allows the driver to change gears not only using the selector lever in the center console but also via the shift paddles on the steering wheel. This transmission effectively combines two gearboxes, each with its own clutch. This means gear changes are executed with no interruption in the flow of power and the shift processes are therefore shorter. Drivelogic allows the driver to select from different shift modes, which see the M4 Convertible adopting a particularly comfort-oriented, economy-focused or ultra-sporty approach to gear changes when in automatic mode. The Launch Control function also integrated into M-DCT enables optimum acceleration off the line.

      The standard Active M Differential optimizes traction at the rear axle. The electromechanical steering system, meanwhile, represents a new development from BMW M GmbH and is the critical component in the link between driver and car. It offers the gifts of direct steering feel and precise feedback. The integrated Servotronic function electronically adjusts the level of steering assistance according to the car's speed, providing optimum steering characteristics at all speeds. Three steering settings (COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+) can be selected at the touch of a button to adjust the level of steering assistance to the situation at hand and to the driver's personal tastes.

      The optional Adaptive M suspension likewise comes with COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+ modes. The BMW M4 Convertible is equipped as standard with M compound brakes, but customers can also order their car with even lighter and more effective M carbon ceramic brakes, which boast the additional visual highlight of gold-painted calipers.

      Lightweight design across the board: Shedding weight in all the right places.
      As well as outstanding dynamic qualities, intelligent lightweight design also allows the BMW M4 Convertible to claim exemplary efficiency. Its extensive weight-saving measures produce a curb weight of just 4,055 lbs around 90 pounds less than its predecessor.

      Among the key contributors here are the aluminium front fenders and hood, with lightweight aluminium construction also a feature of the chassis. Extensive use is also made of a material that is both lightweight and extremely stiff, and therefore durable: carbon-fiber- reinforced plastic (CFRP). The new BMW M4 Convertible also features a CFRP drive shaft. The high rigidity and low weight of the CFRP tube mean that the drive shaft can be produced as a single-piece component, without a center bearing. This achieves weight savings of 40 percent over the previous model and a reduction in rotating masses, which in turn results in more dynamic powertrain response.

      The CFRP strut brace in the engine compartment is a further example of how all weight- saving measures on these vehicles have also been tailored to the improvement of driving dynamics. Weighing only 3.3 lbs, the strut brace offers superior rigidity to a comparable aluminum component and at the same time plays a key part in the excellent steering response and precision of both vehicles.

      The use of carbon is a reminder that BMW is a global leader in high-strength, lightweight CFRP construction, and that it was BMW who brought out the first mass-production vehicle with a body consisting entirely of this material the innovative BMW i3.

      Design: the powerfully expressive face of BMW M.
      Viewed from the front, the BMW M4 Convertible stands out most prominently with its powerful contours and a strongly defined three-dimensionality, which lends it a powerfully expressive face. Characteristic design elements leave no doubt that this car is the work of BMW M. There is the modern take on the twin headlight arrangement (with optional LED technology), for example, not to mention the distinctive twin-bar kidney grille with black painted grille bars which reflect the design of the characteristic BMW M double-spoke wheels and bear the M logo and the powerfully designed front apron with its trio of large intakes supplying cooling air to the high-performance engine and brakes. Among the other hallmark BMW M design features on display is the characteristic power dome on the hood, which hints at the potential of the brawny M TwinPower Turbo engine and creates space for the intercooler. And the striking exterior mirrors, with their suggested twin-stalk mounts, optimize the aerodynamics of the new BMW M4 Convertible.

      The flanks: low-slung silhouette and dynamic lines.
      The profile of the M4 Convertible extends the dynamic impression created by its front end. The hallmark BMW proportions of a long hood, long wheelbase, set-back glasshouse and short front overhang are lent further emphasis by familiar M design elements.

      Those dynamics-accentuating details include likewise newly designed M gills, which perform both a stylistic and a functional role. Integrated into them are Air Breathers, which team up with the Air Curtains in the front apron to help optimize the airflow around the wheel arches and therefore improve aerodynamics.

      The interior design: flawless ergonomics in a sporting ambience.
      Climbing into the BMW M4 Convertible, drivers will be greeted by an interior architecture complete with unimpeachable ergonomics and clear driver focus. In keeping with its character, however, the interior fulfils an even more sharply defined sporting brief. To this end, the host of traditional BMW M equipment details includes M door sill finishers, an M driver's footrest, M gearshift lever, M-design circular instruments with white graphics, M leather steering wheel with chrome trim, color contrast stitching and electroplated-look shift paddles (if the M-DCT gearbox is specified).

      The front seats also represent an evocative expression of BMW M's motor sport genes. Taking visual inspiration from the bucket seats fitted in racing cars, the seats feature a full- size single-piece back panel. This means the construction of the seats is very flat, while the high, width-adjustable side bolsters and low-set seat surface allow an ideal seating position and provide excellent support. Despite their undeniably sporty design, the BMW M sports seats are equipped with comfort-enhancing features including electric adjustment and heating. On the seat surface, the stitching, upholstery segmentation and perforation lend the seats a slim-fitting feel. Illuminated for the first time, the BMW M logo on the seat backrests adds a new and exclusive highlight.

      Interior with exquisite materials and motor sport ambience.
      The BMW M4 Convertible stands out with an interior that is exclusive and functional in equal measure. For example, the M Sport leather multifunction steering wheel is standard, as are bucket-style M sports seats. New to this generation of Convertible are the available three-temperature neck warmers that allow for comfortable open-air driving at high speeds and low temperatures.

      Drivers of the BMW M4 Convertible can look forward to piloting their car from behind a double-spoke M leather steering wheel. The M logo, chrome trim and color contrast stitching are central elements of the cabin's racing ambience. The M4 Convertible comes standard with a 6-speed manual gearbox, while the 7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission is available as an option. M-DCT allows the driver to change gears using either the selector lever on the center console or the shift paddles mounted on the steering wheel.

      Three-piece retractable hardtop. Form and function.
      The BMW M4 Convertible offers outstanding everyday driving qualities and a dynamic design, with the top up or down. These seemingly contradictory qualities were already combined in the BMW M3 Convertible, the predecessor that set standards for premium mid-size convertibles. The hardtop of the BMW M4 Convertible features a number of design improvements that reduce noise levels for a much quieter interior ambience. The sound-absorbing headliner also reduces wind noise by up to 2 dB in comparison to the predecessor model.

      When the top is up, the luggage compartment has a volume of 13.0 cu. ft. (370 liters) that is 0.7 cu. ft. (20 liters) more than available in the BMW M3 Convertible. All trunk volumes are based on ECE measures. Even bulky items can be transported with the BMW M4 Convertible. A flat and level storage area can be utilized when the backrest of the rear bench seat is folded down. The load-through feature, which is standard in the US, makes even more space available: Either a wide opening between the rear passenger compartment and the trunk, or a smaller opening, for skis for example, when four people are seated in the vehicle. All it takes is the push of a button to transform a dynamic coupe into an elegant, athletic convertible in a mere 20 seconds. The top can also be lowered when the vehicle is travelling at speeds of up to 18 km/h (approx. 11 mph).

      The redesigned windblock is standard in the US. The windblock is now smaller, lighter and easier to use, plus it is more effective than previous variants. When it is not needed, the windblock can be stored behind the rear seat to save space, which is also a new feature. The BMW M4 Convertible also has plenty of space in the trunk, even when the retractable hardtop is lowered. The new convertible offers wider access to the luggage compartment, and an electro-hydraulic loading assistance system raises and positions the folded hardtop in the trunk as needed to ensure maximum utilization of the 7.8 cu. ft. (220 liters) of storage space available.

      The loading assistance feature makes sure that there is always ample access to the trunk whether the top is up or down. Two storage compartments on the right and left of the main luggage area are also available for stowing small items when the retractable top is up.

      Optional equipment items provide comprehensive driver information.
      Needless to say, the BMW M4 Convertible is also available with the wide range of driver assistance systems and mobility services introduced under the BMW ConnectedDrive banner, some of which are already familiar from the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe. Among the highlights are the new generation of the Navigation System offering extra capability, sharper graphics and 3D elements for the map display, Active Driving Assistant, which warns the driver of a looming collision with a pedestrian or vehicle, the full LED headlights and the intelligent High Beam Assistant.

      The optional Head-Up Display comes with additional, M-specific functions such as a gear display, rev counter and Optimum Shift Indicator.

      Hall of Fame: Open-top performance for over a quarter century
      The new BMW M4 Convertible builds on 26 years of tradition. A Convertible has lined up alongside its two-door Coupe sibling as a firm fixture of the BMW M3 in all four generations.

      First generation: the racing car with the soft-top.
      The launch of the first BMW M3 in 1986 served primarily to satisfy the homologation requirements for what was then the German Touring Car Championship (DTM). In order to take its place on the grid for this prestigious race series, BMW had to come up with a series- produced version of the competition car and build 5,000 examples of it for sale within a year. The road-spec BMW M3 was created with the demands of motor sport very much at center stage and there were no plans initially for an open-top version. However, after around two years of resistance, BMW eventually gave in to significant customer demand, and the BMW M3 Convertible was unveiled in 1988. It was based on the four-seater BMW 3 Series Convertible and powered by a four-cylinder engine initially producing 193 hp. In 1990, output was increased to 215 hp, enabling the open-top M3 to accelerate to a top speed of 148 mph making it the world's fastest four-seater series-produced convertible at the time. The first generation BMW M3 Convertible was not offered in the US.

      Second generation: new advances in safety technology.
      The powers that be in BMW's motor sport department now rechristened M GmbH had planned an additional Convertible version of the second-generation BMW M3 (launched in 1992 globally and in 1994 in the US) from the outset. Based on the second generation 3 Series Convertible, the BMW M3 Convertible was launched in 1994 with a raft of innovative safety technology on board. For example, the rollover bars of the standard rollover protection system positioned behind the rear seat head restraints would spring up in an instant if the car was in danger of turning over, teaming up with the ultra-rigid windscreen frame to protect the passenger compartment. In the US, the second-generation M3 Convertible was powered initially by a 240-hp 3.0-liter inline-six that was later enlarged to 3.2-liters.

      Third generation: shining an even brighter spotlight on the car's sporting character.
      In spring 2001, almost exactly a year after the starting gun had been fired on the third generation of the BMW M3, M GmbH unveiled the Convertible variant to join its Coupe stablemate in the line-up. It was identical to the M3 Coupe up to the A-pillar, but a striking beltline gave the open-top model an even broader, more powerful appearance. The BMW M3 Convertible therefore cut a more muscular, broader, more hunkered-down figure than any BMW M3 before it. And it had the bite to back up the bark; hallmark M attributes such as a 333 hp high-revving naturally-aspirated engine, beautifully tuned M suspension, a variable M differential lock and M high-performance brakes enshrined the
      BMW M3 Convertible as an elite athlete.

      Fourth generation: giving the sporting character an even sharper edge.
      Less than a year on from the debut of the fourth-generation BMW M3 Coupe and the four- door Sedan that followed a little later, BMW stirred the fires of anticipation among open-air driving enthusiasts with the launch of the BMW M3 Convertible in spring 2008. A 4.0-liter eight-cylinder engine generating 414 hp and sustaining around 85 percent of its 295 lb-ft peak torque across a rev range of 6,500 rpm gave drivers of the drop-top four-seater an impressive armoury with which to sate their appetite for sporty, dynamic corner-chasing and relaxed cruising alike.

      The new BMW M4 Convertible
      The new 2015 BMW M4 Convertible will arrive in US showrooms in summer 2014, in time to capture ideal top-down weather.

      BMW Group In America
      BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls- Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls- Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, a strategic design consultancy in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all X5 and X3 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sports Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 339 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 139 BMW motorcycle retailers, 119 MINI passenger car dealers, and 35 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

      Information about BMW Group products is available to consumers via the Internet at: www.bmwgroupna.com.
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Officially official - Here is your brand new and not so light 2015 F83 M4 convertible - 4055 pound curb weight started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 68 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
        I'm just upset over the name change to M4

        It should have stayed M3.
        I'm with you on that.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
        I'm just upset over the name change to M4

        It should have stayed M3.
        Tried to ^ rep but couldn't. I don't think I'll ever really call this car an M4. It's just wrong.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They do on the N63TU and S63TU so...
        Actually wrong again they dont, the bore and stroke are flipped so the pistons MUST be different and either the connecting rods or crank are too, the torque drop off is different too so please do a little research before assuming they just reuse parts.

        http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548345

        http://www.kneb.net/bmw/F01-02/N63TU%20Engine.pdf
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Actually wrong again they dont, the bore and stroke are flipped so the pistons MUST be different and either the connecting rods or crank are too, the torque drop off is different too so please do a little research before assuming they just reuse parts.

        http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548345

        http://www.kneb.net/bmw/F01-02/N63TU%20Engine.pdf
        Don't try to teach the jedi master son: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...and-big-turbos

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...and-S63-motors
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yeah I realized that thread was quite a bit off, but i did find the official info, while a lot of the internals are the same, the main bearings on the crank are a different material and the cams are as well, we all know how tempermental bearings can be on bmw motors so this is quite a bit of an improvement, the vanos on the s63tu is more adjustable since it uses 4 planks instead of 5 on the n63tu, the s63tu also has a g rotor pump to add to the existing lubrication system which is another nice improvement. Not to mention they have completely different oil pans. The rod bearings are slightly different as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Yeah I realized that thread was quite a bit off, but i did find the official info, while a lot of the internals are the same, the main bearings on the crank are a different material and the cams are as well, we all know how tempermental bearings can be on bmw motors so this is quite a bit of an improvement, the vanos on the s63tu is more adjustable since it uses 4 planks instead of 5 on the n63tu, the s63tu also has a g rotor pump to add to the existing lubrication system which is another nice improvement. Not to mention they have completely different oil pans. The rod bearings are slightly different as well.
        Blah blah blah the point being don't tell me to do research when you haven't done your own. What you should be saying is 'sorry I was wrong' right?

        Of course the S63TU has changes but the reason the bore and stroker are the same is so they can re-use parts like the pistons just as I said. It helps them keep costs down just as I said.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Blah blah blah the point being don't tell me to do research when you haven't done your own. What you should be saying is 'sorry I was wrong' right?

        Of course the S63TU has changes but the reason the bore and stroker are the same is so they can re-use parts like the pistons just as I said. It helps them keep costs down just as I said.
        How so? You said they have the same internals, they dont. BMW already makes solid pistons, rods, crank shafts, its bearings that are the weak point and those are different, not to mention the crosshatched exhaust manifold and completely different cam timing. So im waiting for the "sorry i was wrong". Regardless, the initial argument was about the s55 and n55, while the s63/n63 share the same block material and design which is why they have the same pistons, rods, and crank. The s55 is not the same material as the n55 so they cant share the same internals such as pistons. Which you said they did making you incorrect so again I'm waiting for the 'sorry i was wrong'. I actually have a background in engineering, and specifically material science/manufacturing processes. So while you can go to town on forums reading about how stuff works, you are limited by your own understanding of why it works. Ive seen your posts before, all i am asking for is a little less bias and false assumptions on your end
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        How so? You said they have the same internals, they dont.
        I said they share internals. As I just posted they share internals. There is a picture showing they use the exact same pistons.

        You said the bore and stroke were flipped and then you had the audacity to tell me to go research when you don't know W T F you are talking about?

        Seriously?

        You were wrong. You just admitted as much. Swallow your pride and move on. Man up. There's a reason you read the site and I own it / write for it.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        you are limited by your own understanding of why it works
        Are you high? This is the difference between the S63 and N63: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...and-S63-motors

        Where's your article again?

        Someone sure is limited here but it isn't me.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        I actually have a background in engineering
        I hope you kept the receipt for that engineering education/background.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Yeah I realized that thread was quite a bit off, but i did find the official info, while a lot of the internals are the same
        Read this again and again and again and again and again.

        You were off. They do share internals.

        LOL, telling others to research when you don't know your own stuff you are preaching.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I said they share internals. As I just posted they share internals. There is a picture showing they use the exact same pistons.

        You said the bore and stroke were flipped and then you had the audacity to tell me to go research when you don't know W T F you are talking about?

        Seriously?

        You were wrong. You just admitted as much. Swallow your pride and move on. Man up. There's a reason you read the site and I own it / write for it.



        Are you high? This is the difference between the S63 and N63: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...and-S63-motors

        Where's your article again?

        Someone sure is limited here but it isn't me.
        Hmm lets see.. i said "The motor runs at 18.9psi, which is a lot more than the n55's 9-11psi. So do you really think bmw is going to reuse all those internals for that much of a pressure increase?" clearing referring to ALL internals to which you responded "They do on the N63TU and S63TU so..." to which in the context is also referring to all internals. Now if you don't consider different cams, bearings, and oil pump the "same" internals then you need to do a little more research my friend. I admit I was wrong about the bore and stroke but I was right about the s63 having similar but different internals. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that you were incorrect about the n55 sharing the same internals with the s55. I get this is your forum and all and I go on here since there is valuable information to be had, but i have been seeing a recurring theme of a large bias on your end. This whole thread was made to announce the new m4 convertible to which you had absolutely no positive thing to say about it, yet you are running a bmw forum. Im not trying to continue arguing but this is a great forum and all I'm asking for is less bias on your end and a little more facts and less speculation. You're telling me to "man up" yet you won't even take your own advice. I have nothing against you man I honestly think you have a lot of good info, but when I'm reading through a lot of your posts there is always such a negative bias that is based off of speculation in a lot of cases.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Hmm lets see.. i said "The motor runs at 18.9psi, which is a lot more than the n55's 9-11psi. So do you really think bmw is going to reuse all those internals for that much of a pressure increase?" clearing referring to ALL internals to which you responded "They do on the N63TU and S63TU so..." to which in the context is also referring to all internals. Now if you don't consider different cams, bearings, and oil pump the "same" internals then you need to do a little more research my friend. I admit I was wrong about the bore and stroke but I was right about the s63 having similar but different internals. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that you were incorrect about the n55 sharing the same internals with the s55. I get this is your forum and all and I go on here since there is valuable information to be had, but i have been seeing a recurring theme of a large bias on your end. This whole thread was made to announce the new m4 convertible to which you had absolutely no positive thing to say about it, yet you are running a bmw forum. Im not trying to continue arguing but this is a great forum and all I'm asking for is less bias on your end and a little more facts and less speculation. You're telling me to "man up" yet you won't even take your own advice. I have nothing against you man I honestly think you have a lot of good info, but when I'm reading through a lot of your posts there is always such a negative bias that is based off of speculation in a lot of cases.
        What I told you was that BMW shares the bore and stroke so they can share parts just like they do in the N63/S63. Once again you were wrong and you refused to admit it after your 'research' failed you. Good, glad you admit you were wrong now so you can run along as I don't have time for a BMW cost cutting tutoring session.

        You're right, I have nothing positive to say about a 4000+ pound M4 cab that barely shaves any weight off the E93. I have a big problem with BMW misleading us regarding the weight savings. That is not 'bias' at all it's a response to BMW's skewed marketing. What speculation is it based on? I'm basing everything I say on the facts as in this car is over 4000 pounds. Fact.

        If you want to do some more research feel free to read my articles about the motors and cars.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What I told you was that BMW shares the bore and stroke so they can share parts just like they do in the N63/S63. Once again you were wrong and you refused to admit it after your 'research' failed you. Good, glad you admit you were wrong now so you can run along as I don't have time for a BMW cost cutting tutoring session.

        You're right, I have nothing positive to say about a 4000+ pound M4 cab that barely shaves any weight off the E93. I have a big problem with BMW misleading us regarding the weight savings. That is not 'bias' at all it's a response to BMW's skewed marketing. What speculation is it based on? I'm basing everything I say on the facts as in this car is over 4000 pounds. Fact.

        If you want to do some more research feel free to read my articles about the motors and cars.
        You still failed to acknowledge you were wrong to assume the same parts on internals between the s55/n55, you didn't even acknowledge that in your previous comment again. If you were basing everything you say on facts then what facts do you have that the n55 and s55 share the same pistons, rods, crank, torque drop off? I get this is your forum but if you were a little more factual and less speculative a lot more people would use it. This seems more like a personal blog of what you thought about news on bmws. You can try to twist your words all you want to say that they "share" internals but when it comes down to it you're wrong about the s63 and n63 having the same internals and even more so the n55 and s55 having the same internals but i guess you won't admit that on your own forum.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        You still failed to acknowledge you were wrong to assume the same parts on internals between the s55/n55, you didn't even acknowledge that in your previous comment again.
        Where did I say all the internals were different? I specifically referenced the precedent set by the N63/S63 sharing the bore and stroke so they could share the pistons and rods among other things like probably the crank. BMW does that to cut cost.

        I didn't say this isn't an M motor. Where did I? If anything if you read my original article on the S55B30 I stated that with the changes like the S63 it is a true M motor. That said, BMW is sharing parts to keep costs down.

        I really don't get what you aren't understanding. I don't see what speculation is being made and what facts are being omitted. The only person to get any facts wrong in this thread thus far is you.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        You can try to twist your words all you want to say that they "share" internals but when it comes down to it you're wrong about the s63 and n63 having the same internals and even more so the n55 and s55 having the same internals
        Right:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        BMW's official stance seems to be that they are the same which is not good news (shared pistons, rods, torque drop off toward redline, high piston speeds, etc.).
        Where does it say they share all internals? Does it say pistons and rods? Yep, like the S63TU shares pistons:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Something interesting to note is that the top of the piston states N63/S63tu. The N63tu and S63tu both share the same compression ratio and with the markings on the piston it sure seems safe to come to the conclusion that the S63tu and N63tu pistons are the exact same thing to save BMW money
        Click here to enlarge

        WRONG:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Actually wrong again they dont, the bore and stroke are flipped so the pistons MUST be different and either the connecting rods or crank are too, the torque drop off is different too so please do a little research before assuming they just reuse parts.
        I highlighted WHAT YOU GOT WRONG since it doesn't seem to be clicking. Does it need to be written in a different language? Different color?
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Why would I want to read something from someone when I have to sort through whats bs and speculation and whats facts. Bmw has been adding weight on every new m3/m4 except the f80/82. So instead of acknowledging the fact that they shaved weight and did something positive, you chose to only talk down to it which is bias, i personally experience enough bias with the media and what not and would appreciate less or no bias when I'm reading about cars.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        How do you know they have the same pistons between the s55 and n55??? You can say that about he s63/n63 cause they have the same block, the n55/s55 have completely different blocks with the same dimensions. Anyone with a basic material understand would know that the same material piston wears differently on different metals, iron on the n55 and twin wire arc spray on the s55 so please tell me where you read they have the same pistons? other than magically deducing it from the dimensions.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        Why would I want to read something from someone when I have to sort through whats bs and speculation and whats facts. Bmw has been adding weight on every new m3/m4 except the f80/82. So instead of acknowledging the fact that they shaved weight and did something positive, you chose to only talk down to it which is bias, i personally experience enough bias with the media and what not and would appreciate less or no bias when I'm reading about cars.
        Excuse me, do you have anything specific regarding what I write that is supposedly BS? Because last I checked the OP contains a press release from BMW themselves. Is that the speculation you are referring to?

        I'm not acknowledging the fact they shaved weight? Um:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is true that the new 2015 F84 M4 convertible is lighter than the E93 M3 it replaces. It is also true that the difference in weight is less than 100 pounds. At 4055 pounds the car is 90 pounds lighter than the E93 M3.
        Is plain English some kind of problem?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        How do you know they have the same pistons between the s55 and n55??? You can say that about he s63/n63 cause they have the same block, the n55/s55 have completely different blocks with the same dimensions. Anyone with a basic material understand would know that the same material piston wears differently on different metals, iron on the n55 and twin wire arc spray on the s55 so please tell me where you read they have the same pistons? other than magically deducing it from the dimensions.
        I said based on precedent. I didn't say it was for sure I said BMW has kept the bore and stroke the same before in order to share parts as that is what they are doing now.

        They said they intend to do this themselves: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-in-production

        Maybe you need to do some more of that research?
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I said based on precedent. I didn't say it was for sure I said BMW has kept the bore and stroke the same before in order to share parts as that is what they are doing now.

        They said they intend to do this themselves: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-in-production

        Maybe you need to do some more of that research?
        Finally, we have it, based off of PRECEDENT. Next time state that before you speculate. I am saying they won't have the same pistons based off of materials and manufacturing engineering. You tell me which is more accurate.