• Stock BMW F10 M5 versus Hennessey HPE650 CTS-V from a stop

      Great run here from a modified Cadillac CTS-V with the Hennessey HPE650 package versus a Stock F10 M5 that does not have the Competition Package option. Hennessey claims 566 rear wheel horsepower for the HPE650 package which consists of a pulley upgrade, intake, heat exchanger upgrade, and new tune. That is more wheel horsepower than the F10 M5 has stock but the F10 M5 has the advantage of a DCT transmission.


      Hennessey claims a 124 1/4 mile trap speed for the package although this package on the CTS-V wagon has only done 121. That said, the lighter sedan (approximately 200 pounds less depending on manual or automatic option) should be close to that trap speed. That also should be enough to take a stock F10 M5.

      In the video what we see is that the F10 M5 takes the CTS-V out of the hole getting maybe a slight jump on it. The CTS-V comes back fairly strong showing it does have the HP advantage it should but it can not gain any further ground going neck and neck to 124 miles per hour. The M5 holds it off and gains back a little bit of ground lost but then the CTS-V lets off.

      A very close run that goes back and forth. The CTS-V shows an advantage in the lower gears but up top can not overcome the BMW turbos and redline. The DCT also certainly helps. If this was a Competition Package M5, it would likely win against the modified CTS-V. An impressive showing for the M5.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Stock BMW F10 M5 versus Hennessey HPE650 CTS-V from a stop started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Something doesn't ass up. How can it have almost 100 more hp and not manage to walk away? Yeah yeah yeah dct super quick shifts. There's no way it can make up for a hp deficit that big, but if so I'm retrofitting this to my m3 tomorrow
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        Something doesn't ass up. How can it have almost 100 more hp and not manage to walk away? Yeah yeah yeah dct super quick shifts. There's no way it can make up for a hp deficit that big, but if so I'm retrofitting this to my m3 tomorrow
        It's not 100 more hp. Also, the Caddy does pull just once they reach higher speeds it can't seem to pull any more. I think the S63TU just does better up top with the turbos.
      1. rawad1017's Avatar
        rawad1017 -
        doesn't Hennessy charge a $#@!load of money for the HPE650? $#@!ing waste, for the amount of money it costs you can upgrade a stock v to the point where it assrapes the M5
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
        doesn't Hennessy charge a $#@!load of money for the HPE650? $#@!ing waste, for the amount of money it costs you can upgrade a stock v to the point where it assrapes the M5
        I don't know what he charges but no doubt there are better options out there.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        This article appears on caddyboost.com btw. Yay, things are working Click here to enlarge
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's not 100 more hp. Also, the Caddy does pull just once they reach higher speeds it can't seem to pull any more. I think the S63TU just does better up top with the turbos.
        It's a 90hp difference you would think it would close the gap a little faster than that... Also I meant add in my last comment damn autocorrect
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        It's a 90hp difference you would think it would close the gap a little faster than that... Also I meant add in my last comment damn autocorrect
        You didn't click on the dyno numbers I linked to did you?

        I was going to ask you if you meant ass but I thought you were being funny.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You didn't click on the dyno numbers I linked to did you?

        I was going to ask you if you meant ass but I thought you were being funny.
        No... But I did actually read the thread this time lol


        on a side note I think the fact that my phone autocorrected add to ass says a lot.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        on a side note I think the fact that my phone autocorrected add to ass says a lot.
        That your phone is funnier than you are? I kid.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        No... But I did actually read the thread this time lol
        The difference is roughly ~40 whp. So, that's the reason it is close.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Lol yeah I guess I set my self up for that one. Any way yeah I looked at the dyno numbers and it makes more sense now
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        Lol yeah I guess I set my self up for that one. Any way yeah I looked at the dyno numbers and it makes more sense now
        Yeah the DCT helps it hang in there but what is interesting to me is how up top it can't pull.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        A well-broken in M5 will make at the wheels close to what BMW claims at the crank - I've seen some pretty crazy stock dyno numbers from a few. Definitely helps in this case. DCT is also huge. And yeah the S63 just continues to build power towards redline...not sure how the curves on the CTS look. Damn impressive for the M5.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        A well-broken in M5 will make at the wheels close to what BMW claims at the crank - I've seen some pretty crazy stock dyno numbers from a few. Definitely helps in this case. DCT is also huge. And yeah the S63 just continues to build power towards redline...not sure how the curves on the CTS look. Damn impressive for the M5.
        Yep, pretty much. The F10 M5, at least when it comes to a single straightline pull, is strong.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Yep, pretty much. The F10 M5, at least when it comes to a single straightline pull, is strong.
        Very much so. Still continue to be impressed by the almost irrational performance these things are capable of.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        Very much so. Still continue to be impressed by the almost irrational performance these things are capable of.
        It really isn't irrational. It's what it should be and it could be even better if the stupid things didn't weigh so much.

        Now take everything you see, add more HP, and subtract almost 1000 pounds. What you get is a built motor DCT M3 with a blower.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It really isn't irrational. It's what it should be and it could be even better if the stupid things didn't weigh so much.

        Now take everything you see, add more HP, and subtract almost 1000 pounds. What you get is a built motor DCT M3 with a blower.
        Well, yeah. I mean given the factory quoted numbers you would never expect this. Especially since the E60 and E90 weren't too far off from factory specs as given.

        I really really really want an S/C M3 at some point - mostly because it would be fast as sh*t and still handle like an over-sized go-kart with some coilovers.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
        I really really really want an S/C M3 at some point - mostly because it would be fast as sh*t and still handle like an over-sized go-kart with some coilovers.
        Turbo M3. Even better because you aren't sacrificing the throttle response.
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        i will say this....there is evidence that a hennessey kit like that only makes ~525whp IF that. I swear someone needs to put them out so people can see the con artists they are....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        i will say this....there is evidence that a hennessey kit like that only makes ~525whp IF that. I swear someone needs to put them out so people can see the con artists they are....
        It's making the power. It does pull and make up ground.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        i will say this....there is evidence that a hennessey kit like that only makes ~525whp IF that. I swear someone needs to put them out so people can see the con artists they are....

        Maybe... my old man used to talk about (manufactured) Monday cars versus drunken Friday afternoon cars.... one was a beast, the other a pig.... like wine there is a LOT of VARIABILITY in identical cars