Would you would want one? Would you still consider it a BMW? Did it lose its heart and its soul in this swap? Debate, discuss, drool, or condemn.
Since this is going to be a race car, we were able to make life easier on ourselves in this process, by deleting/permanently removing what wasn't absolutely necessary. After all, race cars aren't meant to be comfortable, but they definitely need to be light. We also needed to make firewall and trans tunnel modifications with our good friend - the Hammer, as we planned to move the motor further back then for better weight distribution.
After doing plenty of research on various LS swaps, and seeing that we wanted to put this motor into multiple chassis in the future, we invested in a nice replica foam block engine. For the price you really can't beat this option IMO. The engine weighs less than 20 lbs, and has threaded nut-serts to be able to bolt up literally everything that a real LS would have! We also went ahead and started ordering materials for the engine mounts, and the headers.
Anyway Chris and Jose got to work and came up with these engine mount arms. These were made to work with the AKG solid aluminum engine mounts that were on their way.
The rear suspension was addressed next - AKG solid aluminum rear subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings and diff bushings were installed, along with their weld-in reinforcement kit.
Here are some pictures of how the motor sits with the mounts in place. The stock rubber M3 mounts were used as place holders for the solid AKG mounts that were on back-order.
The biggest issue, as with the E36 kit that are offered, was going to be the driver's side header. Since we're using 1 7/8" primaries, this was going to be tricky, especially since we moved the firewall in about 3 inches to sit the
Since we're working within a deadline, we had to get moving on the headers. Oh hey, I wonder what's in that box?
Since the passenger side was going to be easier, Chris and Jose tackled that side first
More work on the passenger side header:
The passenger side floor was cut for the DTM style, side exit exhaust. Way more work then I thought! :shock:
A mock up of the muffler with dual 4" tips
The new floor plate made, and was welded in
Transmission brace completed
Custom dual 3" X-pipe!
DTM style exhaust - 80% complete
O2 bungs added to the X-pipe
Exhaust complete, with the tips slash cut to be parallel with the side skirt. Side skirt was cut nicely for a clean look
Harness redone, wrapped, and ready to be installed
Oh, and the REAL motor was finally installed
Mmm, CNC ported heads by West Coast Cylinder Heads!
Close up of the Dailey Engineering Stage 3 dry sump pump
Close up of the custom ATI Super Damper
The KW Club Sport coil-overs were also installed!
***The 2x4 pictured holding up the hood, was unfortunately our only option after Kalon lost the aluminum rod we had put in the truck when he left the shop***