• Is 480 horsepower stock out of the 4.0 liter M177 turbo V8 enough for the 2015 W205 C63 AMG?

      480 horsepower is certainly a good amount of power and that is what Autoweek is reporting the upcoming 2015 W205 C63 AMG will put out from its twin turbo 4.0 liter M177 V8 motor. That is more power than the previous generation W204 C63 AMG had stock at 451 but about equal to its 481 horsepower with the optional P31 Performance Package. Let's say the new C63 matches the P31 W204 and has 481 horsepower. Is that enough?


      To hold off the upcoming F80 M3 and F82 M4's 425 horsepower S55B30 motor it is likely just enough. Keep in mind the W204 C63 was rated at 37 horsepower more than the E92 M3 and had a larger motor but due to the M3 being lighter and having an optional dual clutch transmission it was a driver's race with similar acceleration figures.

      It looks like history is set to repeat itself as the W205 C63 AMG will not have a dual clutch transmission option and is likely to be heavier than the 3306 pound M3/M4. The W205 C-Class is lighter than the W204 but we will have to see how much weight Mercedes is really able to cut from the C63 AMG. Even getting into the 3600 pound range sounds optimistic.

      This next generation battle is shaping up similarly to the previous generation with the C63 having the bigger motor and being heavier whereas the M3 is lighter and relies on efficiency technology such as its dual clutch transmission. The wildcard is another performance package from Mercedes which BenzBoost already confirmed. BMW this time around with a turbo motor though will be able to respond with a performance package of their own as the do on the M5/M6 models.

      Brute force versus efficiency? Something in the middle? We shall have to wait and see.

      Source
      This article was originally published in forum thread: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG may pack 480 hp Twin-turbo 4.0-liter sedan to debut at Paris Motor Show; no 4Matic option for now started by TT C6 View original post
      Comments 98 Comments
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The 911 is rear engine due to the tradition of the 911. Nothing wrong with the 911 being what it is supposed to be.
        Why stop there? Why not keep carbs and drum brakes too if tradition trumps technology and improved design?
        This is such a stupid and pathetic concept and why Porsche is a joke.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bozo954 Click here to enlarge
        OK............after I get up off yo' momma. Frickin skank.
        I would expect nothing less from South Florida.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Why stop there? Why not keep carbs and drum brakes too if tradition trumps technology and improved design?
        Because they aren't stuck in the past? You know you can apply new technology to a traditional engine layout right? You know these are two different things right?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        This is such a stupid and pathetic concept and why Porsche is a joke.
        Yeah we all think Porsche is a joke here. Their 911 winning best driver's car competitions clearly proves that.

        Nobody is taking your points seriously because they are so absurd.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because they aren't stuck in the past? You know you can apply new technology to a traditional engine layout right? You know these are two different things right?
        No.
        You're wrong.
        Rear engine is an inferior and archaic design.
        This is not MY opinion. This is a FACT that is accepted by EVERY educated auto expert.
        How many articles and experts have asked "Why would anyone buy a 911 if the Cayman got he same drivetrain because the Cayman is a better car."
        To argue against the inferiority of the rear engine design makes you either uneducated.......or a blatant troll.

        If you can't admit to one of those, ask yourself the question:
        If rear engine was so great, why are BOTH the Cayman AND the 918 mid engine ??????
      1. E90Company's Avatar
        E90Company -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        No.
        You're wrong.
        Rear engine is an inferior and archaic design.
        This is not MY opinion. This is a FACT that is accepted by EVERY educated auto expert.
        How many articles and experts have asked "Why would anyone buy a 911 if the Cayman got he same drivetrain because the Cayman is a better car."
        To argue against the inferiority of the rear engine design makes you either uneducated.......or a blatant troll.

        If you can't admit to one of those, ask yourself the question:
        If rear engine was so great, why are BOTH the Cayman AND the 918 mid engine ??????
        Attachment 35938
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        No.
        You're wrong.
        Rear engine is an inferior and archaic design.
        This is not MY opinion. This is a FACT that is accepted by EVERY educated auto expert.
        How many articles and experts have asked "Why would anyone buy a 911 if the Cayman got he same drivetrain because the Cayman is a better car."
        To argue against the inferiority of the rear engine design makes you either uneducated.......or a blatant troll.

        If you can't admit to one of those, ask yourself the question:
        If rear engine was so great, why are BOTH the Cayman AND the 918 mid engine ??????
        It's your opinion.

        We all know the Cayman would beat the 911 providing it had the same output. So? That means the 911 should not be rear engine? The 911 is what it is supposed to be. If you want a mid-engine sports car don't buy a 911.

        I'm not saying rear engine is the best layout. I'm saying a 911 should be rear engine and there is nothing wrong with Porsche producing it. It's kind of a boring and unrealistic world you live in where everything is supposed to be all wheel drive, 9.0 liters, turbocharged, dual clutch, and cost $30k.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        I knew exactly what he meant.
        I stand by my statement.
        The C7 ZO6 will SMOKE the GT3.
        The competition you are referring to is "Best Driver's Car". It isn't a traditional comparo test. Hence why they included the fwd Focus ST in the last competition.

        If the GT3 is in the competition...it will win. Unless maybe they get their hands on a 458 Speciale. I have a feeling GM won't make the C7 Z06 available any ways.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Frankly, all things considered, it's a joke that the C7 didn't beat out the C4s.
        Probably because GM wouldn't give them a C7 for the competition. It helps to know what you are talking about.

        Also this statement contradicts your entire thread rant. How could the C7 beat the C4S because of your superior awd?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        How could the C7 beat the C4S because of your superior awd?
        Don't use logic it's confusing.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        We all know the Cayman would beat the 911 providing it had the same output. So? That means the 911 should not be rear engine? The 911 is what it is supposed to be.
        The is the most idiotic "logic" I have ever read.
        Dumbest post I have read in a long time.
        Congrats.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Probably because GM wouldn't give them a C7 for the competition. It helps to know what you are talking about.
        http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_aftermath/

        After you read that, let's see if you'll be a man and post a public apology to me.


        I WAS THE ONE WHO BROUGHT UP THE DRIVERS TEST, and the ONLY reason I did was to show how STUPID the post was from the guy who basically said "AWD ruins and car and the driving experience."

        C7 should have won the test based on track times, how easy it is to drive, fun factor, and cost.
        Sure, if I wasn't paying for it, for a track car or weekend toy, I would prefer the SLS Black, and for a daily driver I would prefer the V10 R8 with DCT.

        But I would, and have, spent MY money on the Corvette.
        At the same time, as a Corvette owner, I'll still be the first one to say the lack of a DCT option for the C7 is pathetic and inexcusable.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        The is the most idiotic "logic" I have ever read.
        Dumbest post I have read in a long time.
        Congrats.
        I'm clearly the dumb one I guess.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm clearly the dumb one I guess.
        Did I criticize YOU, or YOUR POST ????

        MANY people feel that the rear engine argument is idiotic and cannot be defended.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        MANY people feel that the rear engine argument is idiotic and cannot be defended.
        The Porsche 911 is rear engined. It always has been. It always will be. Some people need to come to terms with it I guess.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Frankly, all things considered, it's a joke that the C7 didn't beat out the C4s.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Probably because GM wouldn't give them a C7 for the competition. It helps to know what you are talking about.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_aftermath/

        After you read that, let's see if you'll be a man and post a public apology to me.
        So you are showing me evidence that my statement was correct? The C7 was not provided for the 2013 Best Driver's Car comparo. Therefore could not have won the Best Driver's Car comparo.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Here's my painfully honest confession.

        I really want a "Nissan GTR Sedan".
        I even tried to get AMS to build me a G37x sedan with a Alpha9 GTR drivetrain.
        AMS told me just to buy the E63, and that's why I'm on this forum and started looking at AMGs.
        I don't like the transmission, size and weight of the E63. I prefer the size, weight and look of the W205 C-Class.
        Then, I started hearing about the 2015 C63 with AWD, DCT, and a V8 TT.
        I was stoked to FINALLY get what I consider to be a "GTR Sedan" and what I thought would be the "one car solution for daily driving" that I was looking for.

        The more I hear about the possibility of the 2015 C63 not getting AWD and/or DCT, the more my hopes are crushed.


        I might be willing to accept a MCT.
        But, if the C63 doesn't get AWD, I am just going to keep my G37x sedan and add another new Corvette with a 7spd stick, Z51, MSRC, ECS supercharger, and headers.
        I really wanted ONE awesome year round daily driver and I didn't want to continue running a 2 car solution for my daily driving.
        But, it seems splitting daily driving duty between BOTH a AWD Infiniti sedan AND a Hi-Po Corvette seems to be the best choice for their specific performance in their separate and dedicated roles. The reliability, ease of maintenance, and cost of both makes the decision even easier.

        I'm just really bummed out if the NO DCT and NO AWD rumors are true for the W205 C63.
      1. Bozo954's Avatar
        Bozo954 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        I would expect nothing less from South Florida.
        Don't. 'Cause that's how we do it @ The Bottom.

        You just remember......somebody learned how to take it before he learned how to dish it out. So feel free to escalate as needed to soothe your fragile ego.

        Still won't cuss you out, at least not too bad; ain't takin the bait no matter what you say.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't even know what to say to this I'm just laughing.
        Well, Sticky, promise I won't go overboard with the knuckleheads..........as I do have respect the bosses here on our various Boost sites. Not to mention, not like I wanna get banned, with my stinky, foul mouth.

        But let me stop destroying this thread. Back to the car stuff!!

        My apologies to - pretty much - all of you. Just not much for the drama, so I had to clown a little bit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bozo954 Click here to enlarge
        Not to mention, not like I wanna get banned, with my stinky, foul mouth.
        Yeah I don't think you're going to need to worry about this too much.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bozo954 Click here to enlarge
        My apologies to - pretty much - all of you. Just not much for the drama, so I had to clown a little bit.
        I can't directly recall a time but maybe, just maybe, I said something worse once. Maybe.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Bozo-
        My PM is always available when people wanna take drama to private messages where it belongs, instead of taking a thread off topic.
        I don't go running to mods like some b#tches do online.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        There are no mods to run to.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Good.
        More sites should let adults talk like adults.
        Too much censorship and political correctness in forums.