Close

  • Pushing the K04 to the limit - GIAC sets K04 2.0 TSI 1/4 mile world record with 11.6@117 MKV GTI run

    Congratulations to GIAC who set a new 2.0 TSI K04 1/4 mile record in a MKV Volkswagen GTI. This GTI features the GIAC 'Extreme' K04 turbocharger map which clearly is a strong tune. It pushes the K04 turbo to the limit as GIAC has shown 27.5 psi of boost with the Extreme map. The aggressive tuning provided an 11.602 @ 117.26 mile per hour 1/4 mile run which is good for a new K04 record on the 2.0 TSI engine platform.

    Austin@GIAC was driving the GTI which also was on race fuel. The GTI also is a DSG (dual clutch) transmission model. Nice work and congratulations to GIAC:


    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pushing the K04 to the limit - GIAC sets K04 2.0 TSI 1/4 mile world record with 11.6@117 MKV GTI run started by Sticky View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. bigdnno98's Avatar
      bigdnno98 -
      Damn that's fast on that turbo.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Transmission is playing a role but I think they've pushed that turbo as far as it will go.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      Transmission is playing a role but I think they've pushed that turbo as far as it will go.
      Poor turbo is out of it efficiency range. A couple more pulls like that, it won't last long.
    1. Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
      Thomas@GIAC -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Poor turbo is out of it efficiency range. A couple more pulls like that, it won't last long.
      1. We have in excess of 50 passes and even more dyno runs at these boost pressures and higher.

      2. This is the production Extreme file, running lower boost than we ran in testing.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
      1. We have in excess of 50 passes and even more dyno runs at these boost pressures and higher.

      2. This is the production Extreme file, running lower boost than we ran in testing.
      Thanks for the additional info Thomas.

      So the K04 isn't out of its efficiency range? It seems like this thing is being stressed pretty hard.

      The turbo in testing lasted?
    1. Thomas@GIAC's Avatar
      Thomas@GIAC -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      Thanks for the additional info Thomas.

      So the K04 isn't out of its efficiency range? It seems like this thing is being stressed pretty hard.

      The turbo in testing lasted?
      On paper it might be out of it's efficiency range. But at the same time we beat the K04 record by nearly 3 tenths of a second, despite being in a much higher density altitude. Keep in mind that this is an OEM turbo, and as such is subjected to a higher build quality. As I stated previously, very few (if any) have tested files as thoroughly as we have with this Extreme file.

      We have made over 50 quarter mile passes (launching on Hoosier slicks from 4,000 RPM), numerous dyno pulls, WOT logs as well as made an appearance at No Fly Zone to run the car WOT to 140+. The turbo is still alive and well, as this record pass was made just 4 days ago with the car being driven home 2 hours from the track afterward.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
      On paper it might be out of it's efficiency range. But at the same time we beat the K04 record by nearly 3 tenths of a second, despite being in a much higher density altitude. Keep in mind that this is an OEM turbo, and as such is subjected to a higher build quality. As I stated previously, very few (if any) have tested files as thoroughly as we have with this Extreme file.

      We have made over 50 quarter mile passes (launching on Hoosier slicks from 4,000 RPM), numerous dyno pulls, WOT logs as well as made an appearance at No Fly Zone to run the car WOT to 140+. The turbo is still alive and well, as this record pass was made just 4 days ago with the car being driven home 2 hours from the track afterward.
      The supplemental info is appreciated. Thank you and congrats on the record.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
      1. We have in excess of 50 passes and even more dyno runs at these boost pressures and higher.

      2. This is the production Extreme file, running lower boost than we ran in testing.
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC Click here to enlarge
      On paper it might be out of it's efficiency range. But at the same time we beat the K04 record by nearly 3 tenths of a second, despite being in a much higher density altitude. Keep in mind that this is an OEM turbo, and as such is subjected to a higher build quality. As I stated previously, very few (if any) have tested files as thoroughly as we have with this Extreme file.

      We have made over 50 quarter mile passes (launching on Hoosier slicks from 4,000 RPM), numerous dyno pulls, WOT logs as well as made an appearance at No Fly Zone to run the car WOT to 140+. The turbo is still alive and well, as this record pass was made just 4 days ago with the car being driven home 2 hours from the track afterward.

      1- Thanks for verifying that it is out of the efficiency range.
      2- How long exactly has that turbo been on the car? Is it a daily driven car? How many miles have been put on it?
      3- I bet the reason why you turned the boost down was because you saw no gain after 25+ psi and lots of timing and high octane.
      4- There is only so much a turbo can flow and turning up the boost isn't the way to do it.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      1- Thanks for verifying that it is out of the efficiency range.
      2- How long exactly has that turbo been on the car? Is it a daily driven car? How many miles have been put on it?
      3- I bet the reason why you turned the boost down was because you saw no gain after 25+ psi and lots of timing and high octane.
      4- There is only so much a turbo can flow and turning up the boost isn't the way to do it.
      What's with the interrogation?
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      What's with the interrogation?
      You're asking questions just like I am... All those little questions make a difference, don't they?

      If this was ESS you and I know you would do the same $#@!.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      You're asking questions just like I am... All those little questions make a difference, don't they?

      If this was ESS you and I know you would do the same $#@!.
      I meant more how you were going about the questions. He's answering everything and participating.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      I meant more how you were going about the questions. He's answering everything and participating.
      Just playing the same game he is man.

      Ask @RyanMills he was one of the first K04 on a 09 GTI just like mine. Claimed over 300whp, he dyno'd multiple times and barely hit 260 LOL. I believe he switched over to APR in the end...

      Then there was Tico as well, with the audi TT. Same $#@! happened to him. He got apr stage 3 kit and never looked back.


      This was back in 08 and I know they've made lots and lots of revisions after that. Esp with that video of APR tune vs GIAC tune. That one sucked back in the day. I just never trusted GIAC since then, so I want to ask more questions now.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Just playing the same game he is man.

      Ask @RyanMills he was one of the first K04 on a 09 GTI just like mine. Claimed over 300whp, he dyno'd multiple times and barely hit 260 LOL. I believe he switched over to APR in the end...

      Then there was Tico as well, with the audi TT. Same $#@! happened to him. He got apr stage 3 kit and never looked back.


      This was back in 08 and I know they've made lots and lots of revisions after that. Esp with that video of APR tune vs GIAC tune. That one sucked back in the day. I just never trusted GIAC since then, so I want to ask more questions now.
      Well clearly quite a bit of K04 development has happened since then.

      This is the record...
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Just playing the same game he is man.

      Ask @RyanMills he was one of the first K04 on a 09 GTI just like mine. Claimed over 300whp, he dyno'd multiple times and barely hit 260 LOL. I believe he switched over to APR in the end...

      Then there was Tico as well, with the audi TT. Same $#@! happened to him. He got apr stage 3 kit and never looked back.


      This was back in 08 and I know they've made lots and lots of revisions after that. Esp with that video of APR tune vs GIAC tune. That one sucked back in the day. I just never trusted GIAC since then, so I want to ask more questions now.
      And we all know that People have put up terrible numbers and have had a $#@! load of issues on APR ko4 tunes on the TSI.

      We deal with flash tuners and "one size fits all" on this platform. So there will always be low numbers and issues. Uni is trying to solve this with more "custom" tuning.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
      And we all know that People have put up terrible numbers and have had a $#@! load of issues on APR ko4 tunes on the TSI.
      Haven't really heard to many bad stories about APR and TSI. I think it was in the beginning too, then they did a revision I don't remember really.
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Haven't really heard to many bad stories about APR and TSI. I think it was in the beginning too, then they did a revision I don't remember really.
      Loads of fairly recent threads on golfmk6 about misfires, rev hangs, etc. even on the release that's been out for a while (I believe it's the most current)

      allset has a pretty well documented journey. Damn near replaced every component in his fuel/ignition set of tracking down the culprit of his problem. Turned out it was the APR production tune.


      Like I said, one size fits all. Some people will go 100k miles without an issue with a GIAC/Uni/Revo/APR tune, some will have loads of problems and headaches.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
      allset has a pretty well documented journey. Damn near replaced every component in his fuel/ignition set of tracking down the culprit of his problem. Turned out it was the APR production tune.
      I'd be a bit ticked off...
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      I'd be a bit ticked off...
      Don't want to stir up anything, I've never had any issues related to my APR Tune, but here is what happened to this guy (as you can see he was pretty loyal to them through this all):

      4/11/13

      As many of you may or may not know, I have had ongoing issues with my mk6 since going stage 2 about two years ago. I have been fairly vocal about the problems by starting a few general threads and working with my prior tuner to get them addressed via logging and part swaps, so much of this is old news.

      Originally, the main problem at my prior tuner’s Stage 2 was a loss of power and fault code P0088 (fuel rail pressure too high) being thrown weekly. I would clear the code and the power would instantly return only to slowly fall off over the next 2-4 days becoming boggy and slow. I would clear the code again and it would instantly be crisp and pull hard. The only thing I could attribute this instant power return to was the resetting of fuel trims to 1 upon code clearing even though my STFT & LTFT were never more the 5% in either direction from 1. That is the only part of this that is conjecture on my part. The difference in power was extreme upon doing this and I could find no other mk6 locally that would do this after resetting the fuel trims.

      During this 2 year cycle of power loss and code clearing, my prior tuner did try to address this issue via logging with me back & forth. To try and identify possible hardware issues as the cause, I replaced the ECU once, the HPFP once, the in-tank fuel pump once, the G247 fuel pressure sensor twice, MAF sensor twice, fuel filter twice (6 bar & 6.4bar), all 4 coil packs 3 times, all 4 spark plugs 3 times, all 4 fuel injectors once, and the intake manifold once. The power loss continued unabated. I also had the car checked and logged by 3 different shops and my VW dealer during this time and none could find why it was acting this way.

      I finally went KO4 with my prior tuner in July 2012 and started getting misfires in neutral. The P0088 code stopped throwing weekly but did continue to do so occasionally. I still had the power loss and still needed to reset the fuel trims by clearing codes (even if there is no code, hitting “clear code (DTC)” button will reset the trims to 1). So, as I would raise the RPM’s to 3500-4000, I would get 35-45 misfires in less than 60 seconds mainly in cylinders 2 & 4. I could feel and hear the misfires as I watched the counter record them; it was loud, fast and unmistakable. I also was getting random misfires under load, timing pull, over-boosting request and boost oscillation. In short, the car ran horrible most of the time. Again, I sent logs to my prior tuner to figure out what was wrong. I was mostly concerned with the misfires and power loss.

      During this time, end of January 2013, I had a full teardown carbon cleaning done by KMD b/c I was at 58,000 miles and I was convinced the misfires had to be carbon/valve related. It kept misfiring even after the cleaning. I did find a hairline crack in my DP at the turbo flange so I sealed the crack with clay and high temp silicone just before I had the DP replaced to see if the misfires could be related to that as unlikely as it was. The crack was sealed very well but the neutral misfires continued. I also scoped the cat which was intact and fine.

      Being at the end of my rope and done throwing parts at the problems, I approached several other tuning companies and presented my issue history. Unitronic (John) was the only one who took the time to seriously listen to me, review my logs and give me feedback on the numbers, not immediately blame hardware. I was very happy to hear the suggested solutions did not include more hardware changes.

      the change in tune helped solve his issues. Again, not to take anything away from APR. Just in the VW scene you can't make assumptions on tuners based on a few bad experiences because all the tuners have had issues. Fortunately most offer "free trials" or "money back guarantees"
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
      Don't want to stir up anything, I've never had any issues related to my APR Tune, but here is what happened to this guy (as you can see he was pretty loyal to them through this all):




      the change in tune helped solve his issues. Again, not to take anything away from APR. Just in the VW scene you can't make assumptions on tuners based on a few bad experiences because all the tuners have had issues. Fortunately most offer "free trials" or "money back guarantees"
      Everybody has had problems and we all know APR's general quality level.

      Still nice to see good things from Unitronic there. Guess their tune resolved it?
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      Everybody has had problems and we all know APR's general quality level.

      Still nice to see good things from Unitronic there. Guess their tune resolved it?
      it did. Though he has since parted his GTI out and got an S5.

      Back in second quarter 2013 a handful of people migrated from APR to UNI. Uni is a bit more flexible with their tunes, as in you run logs and they'll see what they can do to squeeze more power out of them. Great for guys with Meth. Plus Uni also does DSG tunes.