• BMS E82 135i FFTEC N54 Single Turbo Kit Dyno Testing - 585 wheel horsepower

      Been racking up miles on the 135i and fixing little things. And finally had a chance to get to the dyno today for some baseline testing. As I've mentioned I've been VERY pleased with the FFTEC twin scroll top mount 5862 turbocharger kit. On road performance and spool is much better than any other combinations I've driven.


      Testing details:


      2008 135i Steptronic (original trans, for now)
      JB4 single turbo firmware & supporting flash
      FFTEC 5862 top mount single turbo
      BigTom intercooler, BMS OCC, BMS stat, etc
      Walbro 255 inline fuel pump mod
      Factory exhaust system (did not bother to open cutout)
      ~E30 mix for for 17psi runs. For 20psi+ runs enabled meth kit for fueling using a single CM10 nozzle.


      Notes:
      1) Was not going after any power records so left the tuning very conservative all around. At the same boost levels there is easily another 15hp in this setup with more advance. And no reason this turbo can't be cranked up to 28psi when the trans is ready.
      2) It made a lot more power than I was expecting. It's basically on pace with the 6466 at these lower boost levels only with much better spool.
      3) If the trans would shift this car would be seriously quick. I'll get to work on that ASAP.
















      Video of one of the 23psi runs:


      This article was originally published in forum thread: 135i BMS FFTEC Single Turbo Dyno Testing started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 289 Comments
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        In my experience it's just a function of fuel and air/fuel ratio. I'm running ~11.8:1 on E30 and started to see fuel pressure dipping around 500rw. If I was running race gas and 12.5:1 no reason it can't support 600rw or more. Frankly it would be nice to dump the meth kit and run just straight E50 and hit 600rw. But with todays fueling hardware it's just not possible with the air/fuel ratios and steady fuel pressure I'd need to be comfortable with it. Maybe with tomorrows hardware it can be done.
        With a safe AFR fuel runs out at 600rwhp. Which sucks Click here to enlarge
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
        With a safe AFR fuel runs out at 600rwhp. Which sucks Click here to enlarge
        The fueling generally is a holdup. I still have a Vargas drilled fuel rail I can throw on. But we need a stronger high pressure pump. Or to take the plunge and go to supplementary injectors. But it is what it is. For now ~620rw gives this car the power it needs to run in the 6s 60-130 and mid 10s at the track which will keep me happy for awhile. And even using map 2 (17psi) on 93 octane it's plenty fun around town. On par with the RBs IMHO.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Wow that sounds amazing! The hp/tq graph looks great, I can't wait to see it with more tuning tweaks
      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        @Terry@BMS when u will start build the trans, which company u will go for, level10??
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Beautiful curve, that dyno looks amazing. Nice spool and great power that does not drop off.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
        @Terry@BMS when u will start build the trans, which company u will go for, level10??
        Looking at options now. May be forced to try them first.
      1. rdeterman's Avatar
        rdeterman -
        Love the sound of that turbo. @Terry@BMS how do you think this turbo would do on a manual transmission car?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
        Love the sound of that turbo. @Terry@BMS how do you think this turbo would do on a manual transmission car?
        It would probably be great. Going to downgrade our E92 to this turbo or maybe just a 5858 depending on the costs involved.
      1. rdeterman's Avatar
        rdeterman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        It would probably be great. Going to downgrade our E92 to this turbo or maybe just a 5858 depending on the costs involved.
        I like the quick spool. I think it would be very hard to go from the stockers that spool so quick to a somewhat laggy (compared to stock) 6466 or likewise. And 600rw is plenty to have fun with!
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        It would probably be great. Going to downgrade our E92 to this turbo or maybe just a 5858 depending on the costs involved.
        You should try comp turbo. I can get you any turbo for 1200$ my cost. Triple ball bearing and billet wheel.
        Bring like 800$ off cost from Precision for the same thing pretty much.

        http://compturbo.com/products/turbos...illet/ct3-6062
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        You should try comp turbo. I can get you any turbo for 1200$ my cost. Triple ball bearing and billet wheel.
        Bring like 800$ off cost from Precision for the same thing pretty much.

        http://compturbo.com/products/turbos...illet/ct3-6062
        Prevision has a proprietary vband flange it appears so that limits the options unless I decide to move the entire kit over to a top mount kit. Which is tempting. But honestly at the moment I'm thinking we'll throw the built motor in the 135i, put the 135i motor in the E92, and then just downgrade the E92 to a 5858, and call it a day.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Prevision has a proprietary vband flange it appears so that limits the options unless I decide to move the entire kit over to a top mount kit. Which is tempting. But honestly at the moment I'm thinking we'll throw the built motor in the 135i, put the 135i motor in the E92, and then just downgrade the E92 to a 5858, and call it a day.
        You are correct, when I was shopping around one of my stipulations was V-band, and that narrows selection immensely, plus Precision's V-band sizes are slightly different than "standard" biggest V-band turbos out there are Forced Performance and Precision, Garret you can get the GTX3582r, I think that's biggest they offer with v-band in an out. Just not sure what it would take to get a another brand turbo to bolt up.
      1. rdeterman's Avatar
        rdeterman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Prevision has a proprietary vband flange it appears so that limits the options unless I decide to move the entire kit over to a top mount kit. Which is tempting. But honestly at the moment I'm thinking we'll throw the built motor in the 135i, put the 135i motor in the E92, and then just downgrade the E92 to a 5858, and call it a day.
        Seems like a lot of jackin around. Heck since both motors are out build them both and call it a day!
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Prevision has a proprietary vband flange it appears so that limits the options unless I decide to move the entire kit over to a top mount kit. Which is tempting. But honestly at the moment I'm thinking we'll throw the built motor in the 135i, put the 135i motor in the E92, and then just downgrade the E92 to a 5858, and call it a day.
        Ohh yea, I forget PRecision does that weird $#@! on their vbads. I mean I can do anything. I got a totaly custom made turbo for m needs. They can make you what ever you want. It takes two weeks to custom make it.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Awesome results T. Spool is very nice. Gonna be monster at the track if you can get the trans to hold.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        You could push that turbo to 35psi if you wanted to Click here to enlarge
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
        Seems like a lot of jackin around. Heck since both motors are out build them both and call it a day!
        We may. Or at least throw some forged pistons in the E92 motor keeping the rest of it OEM. A budget rebuild.
      1. rdeterman's Avatar
        rdeterman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        We may. Or at least throw some forged pistons in the E92 motor keeping the rest of it OEM. A budget rebuild.
        That's a pretty good idea. Are you planning on any head work on either setup?
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Yes, the engine we ordered from FFTEC includes a ported head.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        You could push that turbo to 35psi if you wanted to Click here to enlarge
        lol, turbo might hold, but who knows if it would actually yield much more power on this motor, hell pushing to 28-29 psi may not yield much more on that same turbo.