Close

    • What happens when you line up a W212 E63 AMG S, M6 Gran Coupe, and Jaguar XFR-S for a drag rice? Watch and find out

      Here are three of the most powerful luxury sport sedans off the showroom floor one can purchase today. Now you may be asking, where is the Audi RS6/RS7 in this comparison? Oddly enough its omission makes sense as the E63 AMG S is only available for sale in the United Kingdom as a rear wheel drive car. This is in stark contrast to how the W212 E63 AMG is sold in the United States which is only in 4Matic all wheel drive form whether it be the standard E63 or the S model.

      Hey, you make sense of it. All the sedans in the video are rear wheel drive so it is somewhat of a fair game in a drag race. If you want to skip straight to the race go to the 12:55 mark in the video below.

      Here is how the cars stack up on paper:

      E6 AMG S: 585 horsepower 5.5 liter twin turbo M157 V8, MCT automatic, 4067 pound curb weight
      M6 Grand Coupe: 560 horsepower 4.4 liter twin turbo S63TU V8, DCT dual clutch, 4299 pound curb weight
      Jaguar XFR-S: 550 horsepower 5.0 liter supercharged V8, ZF automatic, 4380 pound curb weight

      So the Jaguar is the heaviest and the least powerful. The weight for the E63 AMG S is hard to believe as that is roughly a 400 pound difference between it and the 4Matic 63 AMG S models tested in the United States. We do not put too much faith in Drive's weight testing procedures as they are likely quoting given weights.

      Now Chris Harris takes these all out on the track but it's wet and provides no lap times so it amounts to nothing more than him babbling on and on about how they drift and feel. He actually even calls this almost irrelevant himself making for the most accurate piece of performance analysis he has ever done.

      The M6 just flat out pulls away from the others. It's the fastest car in the comparison and that is impressive considering the raw muscle of the E63 AMG S M157 is routed to the rear wheels and it isn't carrying the 4Matic weight. The Jaguar lags a bit behind the other two but is obviously quite quick itself.

      What were the times and trap speeds? Well, Drive did not provide them but at least provided some acceleration figures:


      This is a victory due to the M6's transmission and of course its use in combination with the excellent S63TU V8. If you are not a believer in the dual clutch performance advantage and think Mercedes AMG has BMW beat in performance simply due to more displacement, guess again.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: E63 AMG S vs M6 gran coupe vs Jag XFRS started by 5soko View original post
      Comments 54 Comments
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Loved the last M6, this one is no different. Not sure why they made a sedan though...why not just make an M7? And wouldn't the M5 be the competitor to the E-class? Still though, awesome car, and love the interior
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Because they needed a four-door coupe to compete with the A7 and CLS.
      1. 5soko's Avatar
        5soko -
        They do a second drag race at 14:33... This time the AMG S gets a jump and the M6 reels it in, really shows the power of the M6 in that drag race!

        http://youtu.be/7-yCupxxErM?t=14m32s

        Benz has to do something with there tranny choices, or upgrade there DCT to handle the tq and power of these engines. Hell, even a SMG tranny shifts faster then MCT and thats 8 yr old tech!
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because they needed a four-door coupe to compete with the A7 and CLS.
        Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
        Well the M7 would be based on the 7-Series if we follow BMW naming conventions and that means it has to be a sedan. Even numbers are coupes. So it has to be an M6.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
        Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well the M7 would be based on the 7-Series if we follow BMW naming conventions and that means it has to be a sedan. Even numbers are coupes. So it has to be an M6.
        Right, that's what I'm saying, leave the M6, then make an M version of the 7 series to compete with those sedans, a 4-door 6 series doesn't make sense.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Right, that's what I'm saying, leave the M6, then make an M version of the 7 series to compete with those sedans, a 4-door 6 series doesn't make sense.
        No because an M7 would compete with the S8 and S63 AMG. The M6 slots against the CLS63 AMG and RS7.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...
        Oh, gotcha, I skipped through, I'm sure this video could have been edited down to 5 minutes easily. That's usually my breaking point of whether or not I'll watch a video all the way through.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...
        I don't understand why they give him these cars to test.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No because an M7 would compete with the S8 and S63 AMG. The M6 slots against the CLS63 AMG and RS7.
        Ok, I hear ya, too many choices lol, I miss when BMW didn't feel the need to have a so many different "steps" in their lineup like MB. I mean besides styling what's the different in a CLS63 and an S63?
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't understand why they give him these cars to test.
        Because he's so popular now...even Ferrari sent him an F12 just for the purpose of him to drift around a track! And this is after they said he'd never be allowed to drive a Ferrari from their press fleet again after Chris accused them of using "optimized" press cars.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Ok, I hear ya, too many choices lol, I miss when BMW didn't feel the need to have a so many different "steps" in their lineup like MB. I mean besides styling what's the different in a CLS63 and an S63?
        Well the weight and suspension.

        BMW M got watered down. They decided to chase the dollar. That is also why I don't respect them as much any longer.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Because he's so popular now...even Ferrari sent him an F12 just for the purpose of him to drift around a track! And this is after they said he'd never be allowed to drive a Ferrari from their press fleet again after Chris accused them of using "optimized" press cars.
        Even after all that $#@! he talked on Ferrari?

        I don't understand why he's popular though. The first 10 minutes of the video are basically worthless. It's like listening to a girl talk about how she feels about cars. Why sit through that? Show me what they do.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Even after all that $#@! he talked on Ferrari?

        I don't understand why he's popular though. The first 10 minutes of the video are basically worthless. It's like listening to a girl talk about how she feels about cars. Why sit through that? Show me what they do.
        I agree with you totally but what I've noticed is that people like reviews of guys that can slide a car around and really push it to it's limits. I like his work but in reality there's only so many roads we can do that safely if we have the skill for it and track day's aren't as popular here as they are in Europe where you can go to places like Spa & the Nurburgring. Another plus for Chris is the fact he's the only guy over there besides Auto Motor Sport to provide hard numbers as opposed to purely subjective reviews like most Euro magazines.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        M6GC being quicker is combination of DCT and that power is underrated big time by BMW. Plus the E63 isn't as light as Chris says.

        Still not use to the Benz's being touted with the best steering and the BMW's being the fastest in a straight line.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        Another plus for Chris is the fact he's the only guy over there besides Auto Motor Sport to provide hard numbers as opposed to purely subjective reviews like most Euro magazines.
        For the most part he omits numbers and even when they are included they are kind of lame like this with 0-60 and 0-100 numbers instead of trap speed, 60-130, dyno, etc.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        M6GC being quicker is combination of DCT and that power is underrated big time by BMW. Plus the E63 isn't as light as Chris says.

        Still not use to the Benz's being touted with the best steering and the BMW's being the fastest in a straight line.
        It's true that the S63TU is underrated. It's a pretty damn good motor.

        I don't know where the hell he got those weight figures from but that's another reason I can't respect his reviews. Take the cars on scales, weigh them out, and show us. WTF.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        For the most part he omits numbers and even when they are included they are kind of lame like this with 0-60 and 0-100 numbers instead of trap speed, 60-130, dyno, etc.
        Lol, like I said...for European standards! I like his videos but I get more from Motor Trend as they provide more concrete numbers...even dyno tests!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        MotorTrend's numbers are better generally. I definitely prefer their data.