• 637 wheel horsepower for a BMS JB3 Stage 1 piggyback tuned S63TU F10 M5 - Why even bother with the Switzer P700 tune?

      Great results here from an F10 M5 with bolt on modifications running a JB3 piggy back tune with an extra 2.5 psi boost increase. Modifications include catless downpipes, RPI scoops, K&N filters that delete the carbon element, and 93 octane pump gas with an unnamed octane booster. The car still has the stock intake system (just changed filters) and stock exhaust after the downpipes. On a Dynojet in STD correction the result is 637 horsepower to the wheels.

      It will be interesting to see how the flash and piggyback tunes come along for the F10 M5 and the result will likely be similar to how things stand in the N54 twin turbo scene which is each having their own strengths and weaknesses. The JB3 tune for the F10 M5 only costs around ~$300 (it is not listed on the BurgerTuning/BMS website yet) making it a great value.

      That begs the question, why does the Switzer piggyback tune that with similar bolt on modifications put down 633 wheel horsepower on a Dynojet cost $2000 more than the BMS tune? Why? Because M5 owners generally have disposable income and don't know any better, that's why.

      These two piggybacks are doing basically the exact same thing. BMS states their box is actually more advanced. They actually are even considering raising the price. It's crazy but what is even crazier is burning money for no reason. The dynographs below speak for themselves:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: 637 wheel horsepower for a BMS JB3 Stage 1 piggyback tuned F10 M5 - Why even bother with the Switzer P700 tune? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 60 Comments
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        No idea.. Maybe hybrid turbos? But I wonder with good E85 tuning if we can't make 700rw with the ones on there. Working with my dealer on an M5. Can't decide if the competition package is worth it though. Leaning no.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Can't decide if the competition package is worth it though. Leaning no.
        It is not.

        Although if they toss it in for free...
      1. alex@ABRhouston's Avatar
        alex@ABRhouston -
        Got a guy getting rid of a F10 M5, if your interested. Silver sedan, all the goodies with (another) full polished titanium exhaust (with the electric cutouts on the mufflers.... like 8K in exhaust!)
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is not.

        Although if they toss it in for free...
        I think it's 8k lol. I'm set on the blue color. Looked at a used 2013 base one but they want $81k @ 17k miles and won't budge. While a new 2014 with a few options is $96k and fully loaded w/ competition package around $108k. Although if I lease it which I'm leaning towards they are fairly close together in price.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
        Got a guy getting rid of a F10 M5, if your interested. Silver sedan, all the goodies with (another) full polished titanium exhaust (with the electric cutouts on the mufflers.... like 8K in exhaust!)
        Thanks but I really have my heart set on the blue. Plus I like the OEM exhaust. Stealthy FTW. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        I think it's 8k lol. I'm set on the blue color. Looked at a used 2013 base one but they want $81k @ 17k miles and won't budge. While a new 2014 with a few options is $96k and fully loaded w/ competition package around $108k. Although if I lease it which I'm leaning towards they are fairly close together in price.
        My Cayenne had $18k in options. I didn't even pay for half.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        My Cayenne had $18k in options. I didn't even pay for half.
        They are basically willing to go 8-10k off retail depending on the options. I'm friends with many of the guys at the dealership so I don't want to beat them up too hard but the businessman in me always wants to get a deal. I think I'll sleep on it and decide on the package tomorrow.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Thanks but I really have my heart set on the blue.
        The blue is beautiful, what interior?? Funny to see that m5 be faster than the 135 with just some e85!!
      1. gmd2003's Avatar
        gmd2003 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is not.

        Although if they toss it in for free...
        The question should be does it make it a significantly more fun car to drive. The answer to that is a resounding yes. Ive driven both the regular M6 and the competition M6 at high speeds on the german autobahn and my 2014CP obviously here in the states. I'll list the package parts in order of driving experience improvement.
        1.) Steering feel. Much shorter ratio , combined with stiffer bushings and a recalibrated hydraulic unit makes a huge difference in steering feel, you are much more connected to what the front tires are doing.
        2.) Power increase: I know it says 15 hp but i wouldn't be surprised if its quite a bit more than that. A local stock CP M5 with a 119 DA just ran 11.7 @124 here in SC, he posted it up on drag times , prob the first doc stock CP M5/ M6 quarter . My car with DP's is doing 11.4 @128.5 by GPS (got to get it to the strip soon!. But again thats not the important part, the engine makes all the extra power above 5500 rpm! The motor pulls much harder above 6k in the CP vs the regular (very noticeable in 4th gear pulls on the autobahn) to the point it IS FASTER shifting at 7k and a tuon more fun to ring it out.
        3.) Mdiff : The new programing is excellent , it lets you be a hooligan 30 degree slip but puts the power down like no rear wheel drive car I have ever driven. It intervenes often in 1st and 2nd but never kills the party and nails perfect wheel slip almost all the time Click here to enlarge.
        4.) Suspension: Really nice job on this as well , its equivalent in feel in sport mode to a KW V# coil over on moderate settings. Really reduces body roll substantially vs the standard car, extremely noticeable improvent in rear end feel at the limit, and on high speed lane changes.
        5.) Exhaust: Sounds much more aggressive than stock, too quiet with stock DP's , but comes alive with DP's. For once I'm not planning on changing my rear section on a car. Lots of burbles and pops on decel , and the black chrome looks great.
        6.) Free wheels : I opted for the forged 343 20 inches instead of the CP wheels , up to personal taste but the 20's are an option almost everyone gets that costs money.
        7.) Not part of the CP but I got the Carbon ceramics : Best stock brake system I've ever used , no fade under any situation and the near 50 pounds of unsprung weight saved on the car is noticeable. It is nice not having dirty wheels after 5 minutes too.
        You def can get good deals, I ordered my car custom and got invoice , so there are def deals to be had on in stock cars. I went Singapore grey with SO interior , epic colors!
        Just my two cents, being a track guy , this CP makes it a much much better car.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Just found a high mileage (~28k) used 2013 for $69k. Decisions, decisions!! Click here to enlarge
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Just found a high mileage (~28k) used 2013 for $69k. Decisions, decisions!! Click here to enlarge
        That's not too bad. Have you craigslisted?
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Just found a high mileage (~28k) used 2013 for $69k. Decisions, decisions!! Click here to enlarge
        Buy it !! Perfect DD .... Guy next door to my building owns a 997, f430, and the new m5 and he said he enjoys driving the m5 more than the others, i literally have no idea how that's possible but its what he said .... same guy bought and sold a gtr within 4 months so there has got to be something about that car that makes everyone love them so much
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        The blue is beautiful, what interior?? Funny to see that m5 be faster than the 135 with just some e85!!
        White or black is fine with me. White has grown on me.

        With a tune, downpipes, race gas, it should do around 650whp. But at 4500# it won't be faster than the 135i. Probably will trap in the 128mph range though which isn't bad for what it is.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        White or black is fine with me. White has grown on me.

        With a tune, downpipes, race gas, it should do around 650whp. But at 4500# it won't be faster than the 135i. Probably will trap in the 128mph range though which isn't bad for what it is.
        I just look on autotrader and found that blue one with white interior for 69k$. There is another one that has 8k miles for 78k$ might be worth the 10k$ to have -20k miles.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Yeah that higher mileage one is apparently already sold. Depreciation on these cars is awful. In a year it went from $109k retail with its options (maybe owner paid $95?) to $69k. BMW has their lease residual rates too high so a new one on a lease might make the most financial sense.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmd2003 Click here to enlarge
        The question should be does it make it a significantly more fun car to drive. The answer to that is a resounding yes. Ive driven both the regular M6 and the competition M6 at high speeds on the german autobahn and my 2014CP obviously here in the states. I'll list the package parts in order of driving experience improvement.
        1.) Steering feel. Much shorter ratio , combined with stiffer bushings and a recalibrated hydraulic unit makes a huge difference in steering feel, you are much more connected to what the front tires are doing.
        2.) Power increase: I know it says 15 hp but i wouldn't be surprised if its quite a bit more than that. A local stock CP M5 with a 119 DA just ran 11.7 @124 here in SC, he posted it up on drag times , prob the first doc stock CP M5/ M6 quarter . My car with DP's is doing 11.4 @128.5 by GPS (got to get it to the strip soon!. But again thats not the important part, the engine makes all the extra power above 5500 rpm! The motor pulls much harder above 6k in the CP vs the regular (very noticeable in 4th gear pulls on the autobahn) to the point it IS FASTER shifting at 7k and a tuon more fun to ring it out.
        3.) Mdiff : The new programing is excellent , it lets you be a hooligan 30 degree slip but puts the power down like no rear wheel drive car I have ever driven. It intervenes often in 1st and 2nd but never kills the party and nails perfect wheel slip almost all the time Click here to enlarge.
        4.) Suspension: Really nice job on this as well , its equivalent in feel in sport mode to a KW V# coil over on moderate settings. Really reduces body roll substantially vs the standard car, extremely noticeable improvent in rear end feel at the limit, and on high speed lane changes.
        5.) Exhaust: Sounds much more aggressive than stock, too quiet with stock DP's , but comes alive with DP's. For once I'm not planning on changing my rear section on a car. Lots of burbles and pops on decel , and the black chrome looks great.
        6.) Free wheels : I opted for the forged 343 20 inches instead of the CP wheels , up to personal taste but the 20's are an option almost everyone gets that costs money.
        7.) Not part of the CP but I got the Carbon ceramics : Best stock brake system I've ever used , no fade under any situation and the near 50 pounds of unsprung weight saved on the car is noticeable. It is nice not having dirty wheels after 5 minutes too.
        You def can get good deals, I ordered my car custom and got invoice , so there are def deals to be had on in stock cars. I went Singapore grey with SO interior , epic colors!
        Just my two cents, being a track guy , this CP makes it a much much better car.
        The steering feel is the only thing the aftermarket can't address or exceed.
      1. gmd2003's Avatar
        gmd2003 -
        I agree but steering is the most important to me, and the MDM programming is also impossible to get aftermarket as well . Also it's tough to get a set of wheels, a cat back exhaust , coilovers , sway bars , and a tune for under $7500 .
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmd2003 Click here to enlarge
        I agree but steering is the most important to me, and the MDM programming is also impossible to get aftermarket as well . Also it's tough to get a set of wheels, a cat back exhaust , coilovers , sway bars , and a tune for under $7500 .
        All true but you can get better parts than what BMW bundles.

        Like I said though if the package can be had for a discount grab it. If not, not a big loss.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Yeah that higher mileage one is apparently already sold. Depreciation on these cars is awful. In a year it went from $109k retail with its options (maybe owner paid $95?) to $69k. BMW has their lease residual rates too high so a new one on a lease might make the most financial sense.
        Yea, that's just too much. The lease isn't all that bad, investment at it's best. You enjoy a car and make money off it Click here to enlarge
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Decided on the new 2014 without the competition package. Let the fun begin! Click here to enlarge