Close

    • MotorTrend tests out of the facelifted Panamera 4S with the twin turbo V6, says V6's are not exciting

      V6's are not exciting? What the hell kind of nonsense is that? Why is it 'difficult' to make a V6 exciting exactly? What kind of statement is that? Dear MotorTrend, have you ever heard of an Acura NSX? How about a Nissan GTR? Maybe a Buick GNX? Lotus Exige? Ferrari Dino? Nissan 370Z? Audi S4? Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG? Jaguar XJ220? GMC Syclone? Jaguar F-Type? Not a single one of these cars is exciting because for some reason V6's are difficult to make exciting? Whatever you say guys.


      So with that nonsense out of the way let's get to what they said about the facelifted Panamera S/4S. The new turbo 3.0 V6 has 20 more horsepower than the outgoing 4.8 liter naturally aspirated V8 and an additional 15 pound-feet of torque.

      This provides acceleration capable of 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and a 1/4 mile sprint of 13.0@104.6. These are not exactly quick numbers compared to the outgoing V8 which has broken into the high 12 range in the 1/4 mile with trap speeds in the ~105 range. The new turbo motor should be faster but for whatever reason in this test it did not show much of an advantage although MotorTrend states it is faster than any S they have tested.

      MotorTrend says there is a bit of turbo lag. The motor will not match the response of the V8, that is a given. They say the engine does not have much of an emotional component to it. That is likely accurate.

      What the new motor offers though is a tuning bargain compared to the Panamera Turbo. The V6 with a tune on it will destroy the outgoing S/4S and even the Panamera GTS. With the V8 tuning it did not make much sense with a Panamera Turbo available in the lineup especially considering getting large gains out of the naturally aspirated V8 would be costly and difficult. Also it would be beaten by a stock Panamera Turbo let alone one with just a tune.

      So, from a tuning standpoint, the new motor is a large improvement. From a driving emotion standpoint, it is not as exciting or responsive. If you are looking for tuning you know which motor to get and if you are looking for driving emotion you know which motor to get. Personally, I think the new motor with some modifications may make it quite a bit more exciting and well worth it if one runs into the older V8 model if you catch my drift.

      Video below.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: MotorTrend tests out of the facelifted Panamera 4S with the twin turbo V6, says V6's are not exciting started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        I wonder how much of his missing excitement is due to driving a 4S this time, and comparing it to the feel of the GTS last time. A RWD V8 car is always going to feel more exciting than an AWD V6 version of the same car, as much because of the driveline as the engine.

        I have heard from someone with a lot of track time with the pre-facelift versions of the Panamera that the outgoing RWD non-S was a better handling car than the RWD S. Due to the reduced mass and shorter block of the V6 compared to the V8, the V6 was almost a front-mid engine setup, with a good deal less mass being carried over the front axle. I wonder if Carlos had been driving a RWD Panamera if it would have compared more favorably to the GTS he seems to like better.

        Saying a V6 lacks excitement is just silly. You give a great list of examples of compelling V6-powered cars. I wonder if he were to see that same list if he would reconsider his statement.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        I wonder how much of his missing excitement is due to driving a 4S this time, and comparing it to the feel of the GTS last time.
        That's part of it but he seems to complain more about the lag, response, and sound.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        Saying a V6 lacks excitement is just silly. You give a great list of examples of compelling V6-powered cars. I wonder if he were to see that same list if he would reconsider his statement.
        MotorTrend has been doing a lot of stupid things lately. It makes me wonder how these guys are considered professionals and why they have their jobs.
      1. leveraged sellout's Avatar
        leveraged sellout -
        In other news, the amount of weight I attach to anything Motor Trend says/does is now slipping behind that of the guys standing by manufacturer booths at car shows.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I've lost respect for them as of late.

        Then again, mags are dying out anyway but their web content considering their budget and resources should be killer. And it isn't...
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Another thing that bugs me about this vid is that he says this twice:

        "You wouldn't take the Panamera to the track... but you could."

        0-60 in 4.4 secs
        60-0 in 99 ft
        1.03g in the skid pad.

        The 1/4 mile time of 13 secs flat is pretty good for a car of this size, even if the trap speed isn't so impressive. But given the rest of the stats, which compare favorably to many sports cars, why the hell would he make the statement about not going to the track? If you owned this and a diesel truck to haul stuff from the home improvement store, why wouldn't you take the Panamera to the track a couple times a year?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Guy is simply wrong.
      1. onisyndicate's Avatar
        onisyndicate -
        The only reason why I started watching/subscribing to the MT channel on youtube was because they did a review on the Alpha AMS 12 and showed a 1/4 mile that would be very attainable on the street of 10.1. As much as I enjoy going to the drag strip. If I build a car i'd like to stop light smash someone!

        Seriously Motor Trend doesn't have any competition on youtube. Car and Drivers channel videos are GoPro junk. With no reviews and a whole bunch of under carriage $#@!.

        MT honestly don't have a clue about 1/4 mile times. They just state time and leave out trap speed. BLAH BLAH BLAH this is BLAH BLAH BLAH .01 Slower than BLAH BLAH BLAH. They are pretty much biased towards a RWD car and do not like the AWD platforms. Plus they completely ignore the fan base comments. One segment its about Performance figures and not price(SLS AMG VS Viper GTS, But magically couldn't get a viper TA). Next segment its all about cars within the same price range. ( Cadallac CTS Vsport vs lexus GS 350 F sport) when CTS should have ran againts a 550i or MB variant.

        It's simple put some real tuners into together to do an actual youtube channel to do reviews and MT would have to clean their $#@! up. But since they have a political base with all the auto manufactures no one will come close!

        All in ALL MT on youtube is likea bag of McDoubles and some fries. It'll fill you up but it sure isn't Wendy's or Carl Jr's burger!
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        All in ALL MT on youtube is likea bag of McDoubles and some fries. It'll fill you up but it sure isn't Wendy's or Carl Jr's burger!
        Only thing I really enjoy watching on MT youtube channel is Roadkill. Other than that not a big fan of their car reviews.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        The MT videos are well produced and Carlos and Lieberman tend to get it right more often than not. The Head2Head videos with Pobst are valuable for the fact that they bring in a pro driver and do hot laps on the same day, same circuit. Think of all the other videos out there where it's a journalist driving without even a stopwatch being run. Or the crap like 5th Gear where they change drivers and use an iPhone from inside the car for the lap times.

        That being said, in the end the numbers are fact and the rest is opinion. The new Panamera S has more power, better efficiency and is faster than the outgoing one. If Carlos doesn't like the V6, that's up to him. I'll definitely take his future reviews with a grain of salt based on this one.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        The only reason why I started watching/subscribing to the MT channel on youtube was because they did a review on the Alpha AMS 12 and showed a 1/4 mile that would be very attainable on the street of 10.1. As much as I enjoy going to the drag strip. If I build a car i'd like to stop light smash someone!

        Seriously Motor Trend doesn't have any competition on youtube. Car and Drivers channel videos are GoPro junk. With no reviews and a whole bunch of under carriage $#@!.

        MT honestly don't have a clue about 1/4 mile times. They just state time and leave out trap speed. BLAH BLAH BLAH this is BLAH BLAH BLAH .01 Slower than BLAH BLAH BLAH. They are pretty much biased towards a RWD car and do not like the AWD platforms. Plus they completely ignore the fan base comments. One segment its about Performance figures and not price(SLS AMG VS Viper GTS, But magically couldn't get a viper TA). Next segment its all about cars within the same price range. ( Cadallac CTS Vsport vs lexus GS 350 F sport) when CTS should have ran againts a 550i or MB variant.

        It's simple put some real tuners into together to do an actual youtube channel to do reviews and MT would have to clean their $#@! up. But since they have a political base with all the auto manufactures no one will come close!

        All in ALL MT on youtube is likea bag of McDoubles and some fries. It'll fill you up but it sure isn't Wendy's or Carl Jr's burger!
        I'd be happy to start a youtube channel with an enthusiast emphasis but I don't have the resources to get cars like they do.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        The MT videos are well produced and Carlos and Lieberman tend to get it right more often than not. The Head2Head videos with Pobst are valuable for the fact that they bring in a pro driver and do hot laps on the same day, same circuit. Think of all the other videos out there where it's a journalist driving without even a stopwatch being run. Or the crap like 5th Gear where they change drivers and use an iPhone from inside the car for the lap times.

        That being said, in the end the numbers are fact and the rest is opinion. The new Panamera S has more power, better efficiency and is faster than the outgoing one. If Carlos doesn't like the V6, that's up to him. I'll definitely take his future reviews with a grain of salt based on this one.
        Not liking the V6 is one thing. Saying a V6 is difficult to make exciting is something else entirely...
      1. onisyndicate's Avatar
        onisyndicate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'd be happy to start a youtube channel with an enthusiast emphasis but I don't have the resources to get cars like they do.

        You get a premium youtube account that actually pays you for views. I bet a couple car companies will come around. Not saying it'd be easy but it could be done!

        Doesn't california have an exotic car club also? Where you pay a membership fee and you can "check out" high end cars?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        You get a premium youtube account that actually pays you for views. I bet a couple car companies will come around. Not saying it'd be easy but it could be done!

        Doesn't california have an exotic car club also? Where you pay a membership fee and you can "check out" high end cars?
        I know enough people that I can get access to nice cars but I'm talking more about getting somebody like Porsche to send a car for testing. Motortrend because of the magazine has an established relationship with the automakers and that is really their main advantage.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Here's another "boring V6" to add to the pile.

        Attachment 34878

        And... If you forgive the V part of his critique and just allow the argument that a 6 cylinder car isn't exciting, then he just dissed the 911 GT1, GT2, GT3 and turbo, the 959, the Cayman/Boxster, the E36 & E46 M3, the M1, R34 Skyline, the last gen Supra, etc, etc, etc. Just ridiculous.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        And... If you forgive the V part of his critique and just allow the argument that a 6 cylinder car isn't exciting, then he just dissed the 911 GT1, GT2, GT3 and turbo, the 959, the Cayman/Boxster, the E36 & E46 M3, the M1, R34 Skyline, the last gen Supra, etc, etc, etc. Just ridiculous.
        Exactly, it's F'ing stupid. I'd like to hear his reasoning for the comment which he never provides.