Close

    • SpeeDriven SL65 AMG M275 V12 turbocharger upgrade dyno results - 798 wheel horsepower

      Well, nice to finally see some numbers for the SpeeDriven M275 V12 turbocharger upgrade. The motor is an M275 6.0 liter V12 used in the R230 SL65 AMG and the turbochargers are twin GT30 units. This is not an aggressive tune yet as the turbos were tested at 21 psi on a mix of pump and race gas. Horsepower in STD correction on a Dynojet registered at 798 and the torque figure is an earth moving 909.89 pound-feet at the wheels.

      SpeeDriven expects to raise the boost to the 25-26 psi range and BenzBoost looks forward to seeing the numbers with the boost cranked up and race gas.

      A graph with RPM versus miles per hour would be much more useful but it's easy to see that the torque is dropping off pretty hard from the 900 pound-foot peak early in the powerband. This is definitely a stump puller of a motor.

      Congrats to SpeedDriven on the upgrade and for the data. It will be nice to see where this platform ends up now that a bigger turbo option is a reality.





      This article was originally published in forum thread: SpeeDriven SL65 AMG M275 V12 turbocharger upgrade dyno results - 798 wheel horsepower started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 38 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        WOW. ~800 at the wheels. I belive this is currently the biggest whp numbers we have seen so far for an SL.
        I'm trying to think of something larger and I can't.
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm trying to think of something larger and I can't.
        The last large numbers I have seen personally for an SL was my brother's @Jacob502 670rwhp SL63. Its pulling like bullet. I wonder how this one runs, most likely it will be much faster
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Attachment 34015
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        DAMN! Same boost or higher boost?
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        DAMN! Same boost or higher boost?
        I am not sure, I was doing some digging and I found this dyno posted in feb. 2012. It is from a CL65 so different car than the OP
      1. onisyndicate's Avatar
        onisyndicate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Where you getting 800 pounds?
        Got my years mixed up. Those things are around 5k. I clicked on the 2005 SL! oops, Click here to enlarge!

        Also that CL600 is only 4700 lbs with almost same motor right? The CL is where it would be at!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
        Got my years mixed up. Those things are around 5k. I clicked on the 2005 SL! oops, Click here to enlarge!

        Also that CL600 is only 4700 lbs with almost same motor right? The CL is where it would be at!
        The CL is a sweet ride but it is looking dated now. I like it a lot though and it is a solid design:

        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


        Click here to enlarge


      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        WOW. I would love to drive this car and try it out
      1. AWD75's Avatar
        AWD75 -
        Stock motor?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWD75 Click here to enlarge
        Stock motor?
        Very good question. Have not heard anything indicating otherwise.
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Very good question. Have not heard anything indicating otherwise.
        I hope they are not stock internals, because the stock ones just SUCK
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        I hope they are not stock internals, because the stock ones just SUCK
        Well I mean if they are supporting this much torque they aren't that terrible. Definitely a good idea to upgrade if going for massive power though.
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well I mean if they are supporting this much torque they aren't that terrible. Definitely a good idea to upgrade if going for massive power though.
        Your right very true!

        I have a friend who had a 2009 SL65. It was tuned. The car only had 50,000k on it and twot of the pistons gave up. If i rememebr correctly, they were in cylinder 5, 2. It was not a problem with the fuel or the tuning, because the Mercedes Dealer here said it was a common problem on even stock engines and he was fortunate enough to fix his engine through warranty!
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        Your right very true!

        I have a friend who had a 2009 SL65. It was tuned. The car only had 50,000k on it and twot of the pistons gave up. If i rememebr correctly, they were in cylinder 5, 2. It was not a problem with the fuel or the tuning, because the Mercedes Dealer here said it was a common problem on even stock engines and he was fortunate enough to fix his engine through warranty!
        The more I learn about this engine the more I realize its shortcomings. It seems to be under engineered for the caliber of car it is in.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        The more I learn about this engine the more I realize its shortcomings. It seems to be under engineered for the caliber of car it is in.
        Well it's based on fairly old design. They just threw turbos on it.
      1. 65AMG's Avatar
        65AMG -
        I'm sorry, but I have never heard of any failures in that way. And I know quite a lot of SL65 owners and also MB-Dealers.

        Even the tuned cars I know are bulletproof motorwise.

        The weakest point for tuned 65s is the transmission, because of the massive torque. This needs to be adressed when you tune more than just ECU/TCU.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Considering the R230 is using the 5-speed it isn't too too difficult to beef it up.
      1. 65AMG's Avatar
        65AMG -
        Yes, when the motor is out of the car, you can beef up some parts of the tranny at the same time.