• 997.1 Turbo E85 tuned by Protomotive results - Over 600 alll wheel horsepower on stock turbos

      What you see below in the video is a 997.1 Porsche 911 Turbo tuned on E85 by Todd at Protomotive. Additional modifications to the car are a Europipe exhaust, 997.2 Turbo intercoolers, upgraded Sachs clutch (car is manual), upgraded fuel injectors, and BMC filters. The dyno used is a Mainline dyno from Australia which is considered a "heartbreaker" dyno. Todd Knighton estimates the Mainline reads roughly 15-17% lower than a Dynojet.


      The Mainline read out 578 to all four wheels. Let's conservatively estimate this at the mid 600 wheel range on a Dynojet. Until the car is run on a Dynojet we do not know for sure but it is safe to say this is over 600 horsepower at the wheels on the stock turbos when using E85 ethanol fuel.

      This is one of those times that it is important to understand how different dynos can read completely different numbers.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Porsche 997.1 turbo almost 600whp on stock turbos started by xbox_fan View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. xbox_fan's Avatar
        xbox_fan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What you see below in the video is a 997.1 Porsche 911 Turbo tuned on E85 by Todd at Protomotive. Additional modifications to the car are a Europipe exhaust, 997.2 Turbo intercoolers, upgraded Sachs clutch (car is manual), upgraded fuel injectors, and BMC filters. The dyno used is a Mainline dyno from Australia which is considered a "heartbreaker" dyno. Todd Knighton estimates the Mainline reads roughly 15-17% lower than a Dynojet.


        The Mainline read out 578 to all four wheels. Let's conservatively estimate this at the mid 600 wheel range on a Dynojet. Until the car is run on a Dynojet we do not know for sure but it is safe to say this is over 600 horsepower at the wheels on the stock turbos when using E85 ethanol fuel.

        This is one of those times that it is important to understand how different dynos can read completely different numbers.

        Think peak was 587 not 578 btw..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
        Think peak was 587 not 578 btw..
        I must be dyslexic. Thanks.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
        Think peak was 587 not 578 btw..
        Actually I'm just going to go with what the graph states as I don't see anything showing 587?
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Nice!
      1. xbox_fan's Avatar
        xbox_fan -
        Owner posted this over at 6speed "Peak boost was 22psi @ 3500rpm, which held pretty steady to 5000rpm where it was about 21.6. From there it falls pretty rapidly down to 19psi at 6000rpm, and 17psi by 7000rpm"
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Turbo Inlet Pipes & an Aftermarket Y-Pipe would easily set this car over 600, possible 625 WHP+. M3ntal illustrated how much of an impact these mods on his 996, picking up 50 WHP midrange with just the Y-Pipe
      1. Stucks's Avatar
        Stucks -
        awesome.
      1. Spool's Avatar
        Spool -
        Benzy89
        Any solid data on turbo inlet pipes and y-pipe gain on 997tt cars?
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Spool Click here to enlarge
        Benzy89
        Any solid data on turbo inlet pipes and y-pipe gain on 997tt cars?
        I would presume similar gains. The OEM Y-Pipe is 54mm in diameter, and most Y-Pipes you'll see are 2.5" (64mm) or 3" (76mm).

        Regarding turbo inlet piping, there's two "camps" -- The first is fender-well intakes located in front of the intercooler (like this, Protomotive uses this setup in their kits)
        Attachment 34017

        Camp 2 is retaining the stock airbox/filter location, which AMS supports. I'm in agreement with them, and support what Megion did (the blue 997 Turbo in all the DragTimes videos), just 3" welded piping with some K&N filters in the stock airbox location.

        Bottom line, regardless which setup you go with you'll need 3" piping if you're running anything beyond a stock VTG turbo.


        IF you're gonna find concrete data, I'd browse 6Speed's Forum since there's a strong Porsche Turbo presence there, between DIY owners & reputable vendors.
      1. Spool's Avatar
        Spool -
        The turbo inlets works good on 996tt cars for sure
        On 997tt vgts or modded vgts I could find any before and after tests

        The y-pipe alone gain 10bhp.

        It is funny coz evoms and champions has turbo inlets for while but no before and aftet tests yet.

        What im sure about out is that stock turbo inlet works good on 63.5mm vgts ( 65mm maybe )
      1. HelthInsXpert's Avatar
        HelthInsXpert -
        Posts like this make me wonder if I should stick with my 996T or just ditch it and bump up to the 997T? Anyone else have that itch?
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        This car is such a nasty little sob ... love it
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Turbo Inlet Pipes & an Aftermarket Y-Pipe would easily set this car over 600, possible 625 WHP+. M3ntal illustrated how much of an impact these mods on his 996, picking up 50 WHP midrange with just the Y-Pipe

        Y Pipe and E85 with the larger injectors etc... anything with e85 seems to gain much more whp than one would expect with a decent tuner
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        is this a record??
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HelthInsXpert Click here to enlarge
        Posts like this make me wonder if I should stick with my 996T or just ditch it and bump up to the 997T? Anyone else have that itch?
        If there isn't a cost issue the 997 is better in every way. It's more pleasant to look at, sit in, etc. Potential is equal between the two as far as power anyway if it's a 997.1.