Close

    • Fftec Motorsports N54 twin scroll top mount turbo manifold kit, $4950 - Too pricey?

      The N54 inline-6 turbo upgrade era is really now blossoming from stock housing options to a variety of aftermarket manifold and turbo solutions. Fftech originally worked on a bottom mount turbo manifold but it seems they have abandoned that setup in favor of a top mount turbo manifold now. This 'kit' includes everything you need to install an aftermarket turbo setup at $4950 but does not include an upgraded turbo making for a pricey manifold option.

      Fftec deserves whatever the market is willing to pay and there are not exactly a plethora of top mount off the shelf manifold options in the N54 world at this time. Will it sell? Absolutely.

      Why a top mount? Speculation by BimmerBoost members is that the bottom mount manifold required too much modification to the frame of the vehicle to fit. As a reminder, BimmerBoost vendors do have working bottom mount solutions for those not interested in a top mount for whatever reason (sleeper, heat in the engine bay, etc.).

      Picture and pricing info below.




      Included in this Kit:

      FFTEC Twin Scroll Top Mount Exhaust Manifold
      FFTEC Top Mount Downpipe
      FFTEC Lower Intercooler Pipe
      FFTEC CNC Coolant Pipe
      FFTEC Oil Feed and Drain Lines
      FFTEC Swirl Pot
      FFTEC Boost Control Solenoid
      FFTEC Valve Cover Heat Shield

      This article was originally published in forum thread: FFTEC Top mount twin scroll kit started by bmw335iguy View original post
      Comments 265 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        EHhhhhh..... the 335 & E46 M3 are close with each other (so long as both are 6MTs), and you can nitpick back and forth, but the E9x M3 is still the most expensive to mod vs. the performance achieved. A 335 is going to need LOTS of non-engine mods (Coilovers/LSD/Brakes), but the ideal turbo E46 M3 kit would involve a standalone like the ProEFI and an E85 fuel system.
        The S54 is at over a thousand wheel. There is no close.

        The E9X M3 holds the HP and 1/4 mile records for the E9X platform so if you awnt max performance you get what you pay for. With a better base.

        Kindly keep things in perspective thanks so much.
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        60-130 is a better example of a car's capabilities. There is too much driver influence in 1/4 mile. I think most will agree with that.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The S54 is at over a thousand wheel. There is no close.
        The conversation was what it takes to achieve 700 WHP on an S54, N54 & S65. The 1st two can do it with stock motors, the last one can't.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
        60-130 is a better example of a car's capabilities. There is too much driver influence in 1/4 mile. I think most will agree with that.
        No. They all paint a picture. 60-130 is a better example of a car's top end pull.

        The driver influence in the 1/4 mile with an automatic 335 is what exactly? How nice your shoes are when putting your foot on the brake and gas at the same time?

        And a timeslip shows you exactly what happened anyway with the ET being far more driver dependent than anything else.

        The more you type...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        The conversation was what it takes to achieve 700 WHP on an S54, N54 & S65. The 1st two can do it with stock motors, the last one can't.
        Oh is that what the conversation is. I don't know it seems to move based on what you're saying at that point so I'm just trying to keep up with where you take it.

        Which motor has the highest naturally aspirated horsepower out of the three and the highest compression ratio?

        Is stock internal power indicative of maximum power potential? Rather pointless arbitrary figure you've chosen there.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Is stock internal power indicative of maximum power potential? Rather pointless arbitrary figure you've chosen there.
        It's not, but since you want to talk about maximum power potential, once again we're back at the E46 M3 being the best option. And IMO that's such a worthless evaluation because almost ANY motor can be built to put out stupid amounts of power (forged internals + turbos + solid tuning), it just comes down to $$$$$$$
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        It's not, but since you want to talk about maximum power potential, once again we're back at the E46 M3 being the best option. And IMO that's such a worthless evaluation because almost ANY motor can be built to put out stupid amounts of power (forged internals + turbos + solid tuning), it just comes down to $$$$$$$
        Yep S54's are over 1000 like I said. We'll have to see where the S65 gets but it's the only other motor short of an S38 that has the setup to do it. Or an S85 with a YSI.

        It's a worthless evaluation to discuss architecture and potential? Oh you live in a world where all motors are created equal with butterflies and rainbows flying out the exhaust pipes? How adorable.

        I find it odd if any motor can be built for stupid amounts of power why everyone doesn't have stupid amounts of power. BRB going to go pick up the new BMW 1.5 liter 3-cylinder, it doesn't matter because it can be built for stupid amounts of power.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's a worthless evaluation to discuss architecture and potential? Oh you live in a world where all motors are created equal with butterflies and rainbows flying out the exhaust pipes? How adorable.
        S62 for 1000+. And it's a worthless evaluation because if we're going to talk about "maximum power potential", there's significantly better options then the 3 motors we listed.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        S62 for 1000+. And it's a worthless evaluation because if we're going to talk about "maximum power potential", there's significantly better options then the 3 motors we listed.
        Wow S62 namedrop watch out.

        Care to show me that S62 1000+ dyno?

        What are the best motors then for BMW's?

        Then again, what does it matter? You just stated a few posts ago any motor can be built for ridiculous power. I have a tiny bit of experience following the BMW aftermarket and funny how the reality of it seems to disagree.

        Run along.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        I wasn't limiting the "maximum power potential" conversation to BMW motors; because if you wanted to dump a ton of cash into a high HP project, BMW is far from the 1st thing that comes to mind, instead I'd go with:

        • Variety of GM/Chevrolet Motors
        • 2JZ/1JZ
        • Porsche 996/997 Turbo
        • Lamborghini Gallardo/Aventador
        • Nissan GTR (R34/R35)




        IMO -- Peak power is worthless, I'd much rather sacrifice a couple hundred HP to have a quality curve, tons of area under the curve & an enjoyable driving experience. That's probably going to get you more W's anyhow since you'll have more than 1,500 RPMs of that x,xxx HP
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        I wasn't limiting the "maximum power potential" conversation to BMW motors; because if you wanted to dump a ton of cash into a high HP project, BMW is far from the 1st thing that comes to mind, instead I'd go with:

        • Variety of GM/Chevrolet Motors
        • 2JZ/1JZ
        • Porsche 996/997 Turbo
        • Lamborghini Gallardo/Aventador
        • Nissan GTR (R34/R35)


        IMO -- Peak power is worthless, I'd much rather sacrifice a couple hundred HP to have a quality curve, tons of area under the curve & an enjoyable driving experience. That's probably going to get you more W's anyhow since you'll have more than 1,500 RPMs of that x,xxx HP
        As much fun as I'm honestly having I don't know what I'm going to learn from you here. What, that there are other platforms out there? Ok, and?

        We're talking about BMW's. We're talking about a platform in relation to other BMW's that are even made on that same chassis. Seems to me it is much more logical and natural to use that context than bring up the ever popular 2JZ (oh goody) or GM, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. How do those apply to E9X horsepower, performance, or even E9X performance vlue?

        Suddenly peak power is worthless in the N54 forum. Ok, well then wouldn't you want a flat and broad torque curve? Isn't there a BMW motor that has that? Or even a few of them that do?

        With this manifold and depending on how big the turbo is or whatever you want to mate to it the curve is going to shift radically based on that choice. There will be give and take. So you can sacrifice a bit down low for a bit up top blah blah blah. How is that tons of area under the curve though? It's really being shifted for peak power as to make more peak power with this motor there is a necessary sacrifice partially due to its displacement and redline.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        And how is the S62 a better choice again than anything mentioned? Still waiting on an answer to that one.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How do those apply to E9X horsepower, performance, or even E9X performance value?
        E9x BMW's aren't everything.... I know it's devastating & might keep you up tonight, but there's a LOT of other cars that are better. Especially for someone who likes to brag about how much money they have.

        And I never said S62 was better, in fact I said the S54 is the best option from the BMW lineup. Just threw the S62 out as another high HP option besides the S54, S65, S85, S38 (last 3 you listed)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        E9x BMW's aren't everything.... I know it's devastating & might keep you up tonight, but there's a LOT of other cars that are better. Especially for someone who likes to brag about how much money they have.
        I know this may be devastating and a bit OT but have you looked at the browser address to see where this conversation is taking place?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        And I never said S62 was better, in fact I said the S54 is the best option from the BMW lineup. Just threw the S62 out as another high HP option besides the S54, S65, S85, S38 (last 3 you listed)
        Ok but out of those options only two have actually hit over 1000+ hp in a BMW street car. The highest hp from an SC'd version in a street car would go to the S65. The highest in a street car would go to the S38. The highest hp period would go to the S85.

        Now if the S85 has hit the highest hp out of all BMW street motors and the S65 is based on it why are we still talking? Isn't this discussion clear at this point?

        My distinction once again is that once you start adding parts such as is the topic of this thread the N54 loses its value status and modding ease status as well. Additionally, I pointed out what the highest hp platform is on the same chassis just to be clear. Yes, I know Gallardo's and others exist but last I checked those were not an E9X or brought up in conversation in comparison to say a 335.

        It's all pretty clear cut to me and once again nothing new I did not already know has been brought to my attention. Would you like to go back to positive repping anyone talking down on me because my bar raising build that they are not paying for and does not involve their own car is taking longer than they would like?
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
        if you won the lottery, you'd be selling everything off in less than a month BC you'd be broke in a week.
        and it would have been amazing! haha

        nah, i wouldn't know what to buy, invest most of it.. but you gotta have a little fun Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I feel like I pissed off the entire Internet today.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I feel like I pissed off the entire Internet today.
        i just had a read through it

        sweet jesus, wtf went on there

        way too much emotion, not enough fact...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Shut up you're wrong.

        Probably time for me to go to bed. Long day of arguing how awesome the m3 is to strangers on the internet tomorrow.
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        The M3 is awesome. There's no denying that. It's just not the less expensive or easier option to get to 700whp.
      1. Sered's Avatar
        Sered -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Shut up you're wrong.

        Probably time for me to go to bed. Long day of arguing how awesome the m3 is to strangers on the internet tomorrow.
        It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it, right?