Close

    • Fftec Motorsports N54 twin scroll top mount turbo manifold kit, $4950 - Too pricey?

      The N54 inline-6 turbo upgrade era is really now blossoming from stock housing options to a variety of aftermarket manifold and turbo solutions. Fftech originally worked on a bottom mount turbo manifold but it seems they have abandoned that setup in favor of a top mount turbo manifold now. This 'kit' includes everything you need to install an aftermarket turbo setup at $4950 but does not include an upgraded turbo making for a pricey manifold option.

      Fftec deserves whatever the market is willing to pay and there are not exactly a plethora of top mount off the shelf manifold options in the N54 world at this time. Will it sell? Absolutely.

      Why a top mount? Speculation by BimmerBoost members is that the bottom mount manifold required too much modification to the frame of the vehicle to fit. As a reminder, BimmerBoost vendors do have working bottom mount solutions for those not interested in a top mount for whatever reason (sleeper, heat in the engine bay, etc.).

      Picture and pricing info below.




      Included in this Kit:

      FFTEC Twin Scroll Top Mount Exhaust Manifold
      FFTEC Top Mount Downpipe
      FFTEC Lower Intercooler Pipe
      FFTEC CNC Coolant Pipe
      FFTEC Oil Feed and Drain Lines
      FFTEC Swirl Pot
      FFTEC Boost Control Solenoid
      FFTEC Valve Cover Heat Shield

      This article was originally published in forum thread: FFTEC Top mount twin scroll kit started by bmw335iguy View original post
      Comments 265 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
        well, if it cost you more than $65k including the car to get to 700+who, why would I want to?
        Because you can't get to where I'm at with your car?
      1. lfelunden's Avatar
        lfelunden -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        Stage 3 VTT VTR Full Twin Turbo Upgrade: A complete turbo system to replace your stock turbochargers. Including Garrett GT series Ball Bearing Turbochargers, downpipes, oil and water lines, charge pipe, intake pipes, and all gaskets and mounting hardware. Can choose between 4 different GT models to best suit your HP goals. Also available in these configurations VTR25R, VTR28R, VTR28RS, & VT2871R. May be subject to price change. (Please specify vehicle model when ordering) Core charge is completely refundable once we receive your core. (Price is for both turbos) 3.0% "Tax" added to cover Paypal fees
        $7857

        You forgot the vargas fuel rail upgrade Click here to enlarge

        FMIC: AA Sport $699
        Tune: JB4 G5 $479 + BT single VIN for BB Flash $179
        BMS 2.3 GAL Meth Kit: $529

        Total: $9743
        You forgot the Vargas fuelrail upgrade Click here to enlarge
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        "More than you can afford, Junior"
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lfelunden Click here to enlarge
        You forgot the Vargas fuelrail upgrade Click here to enlarge
        Dammit. Sure did. Thanks!
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        So do we have totals from the other cars?

        Maybe we should just split this into a new thread as it is so OT?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        So do we have totals from the other cars?

        Maybe we should just split this into a new thread as it is so OT?
        Maybe, maybe not. We'll see where it goes.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        What is a VISHNU ?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        What is a VISHNU ?
        Google showed me this. Looks like some kind of weird Karma Sutra stuff:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Looks like some kind of weird Karma Sutra stuff
        Oh wait, now I get that. That explains why Shiv's customers are always getting $#@!ed.

        I crack myself up.
      1. Torgus's Avatar
        Torgus -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That explains why Shiv's customers are always getting $#@!ed.
        Click here to enlarge
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because you can't get to where I'm at with your car?
        have you run any times faster than Shiv or captaininsano?
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
        So do we have totals from the other cars?

        Maybe we should just split this into a new thread as it is so OT?
        Total for what -- Cost Comparison to mod to a WHP number?? S54 vs. N54 vs. S65??
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because you can't get to where I'm at with your car?
        Your car still isn't running 100%.... Any ETA on when we can expect to make some 60-130 or 1/4 mile passes?
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        E46 BMW M3 (2005 model) expected cost to SAFELY support and get to 700 whp

        Supercharger route - Active Autowerke with some upgrades

        Exhaust and headers - $3500 installed
        Stage 2 supercharger kit - $13,500 installed to get to 600 crank hp
        HKS GTS8550 Supercharger
        Active Autowerke New Gen. 7 Intake Manifold w/ Dual By Pass Valve
        Active Autowerke RAM AIR intake through foglight
        Active Autowerke air filter heat shield
        Large Stage 2 Front Mount Air to Air Intercooler
        Turbo like speed with linear power delivery
        Active Autowerke Methanol Injection System
        Large Fuel Injectors
        Upgraded Fuel System with LARGER fuel Lines for increase flow rate, CNC machined Fuel Rail, Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator with liquid filled gauge, HI-Volume Walbro inline fuel pump, etc.
        Supercharger Oil Cooler
        Colder Heat Range Iridium Spark Plugs
        High Performance AA Spec Green Filter
        Active Autowerke High Performance Software
        Software cable included for DIY remote software uploading
        All Mounting Hardware, plumbing, hoses and clamps
        Increases to 750-780 crank hp (700whp) at 15-17 psi, pulleys, redo bearings, performance thermostat, upgrade clutch approx $3000 - $5000

        Missing a few things but we are looking at $20,000 minimum retail approx
        It's gonna take a lot more than 15-17 psi on that blower to hit 700 WHP... Especially if it's achieving ~605 BHP at 11-12 psi (approximately 25 BHP per PSI boost) on the stock motor. To stay stock S54 motor & hit 700 WHP, you're gonna have to go turbo + race gas (like the Maximum PSI kit). The S65 will have to get built to get over mid-600 WHP safely (block flex issues), while the N54 has proven to hit ~730 WHP with the FFTEC VFF900/6466 ST kit.... Reliably though?


        I've got this feeling that a lot of N54 VFF900 customer's have no interest or piece of mind to crack open their N54 to see how the internals are handling nearly tripling the stock WHP.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
        have you run any times faster than Shiv or captaininsano?
        Isn't the E9X record held by an SC M3 on stock internals running quicker times with less power? Food for thought.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Your car still isn't running 100%.... Any ETA on when we can expect to make some 60-130 or 1/4 mile passes?
        Who cares if it is or isn't it still has more headroom and always will.

        The ETA is as soon as it is possible.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        It's gonna take a lot more than 15-17 psi on that blower to hit 700 WHP... Especially if it's achieving ~605 BHP at 11-12 psi (approximately 25 BHP per PSI boost) on the stock motor. To stay stock S54 motor & hit 700 WHP, you're gonna have to go turbo + race gas (like the Maximum PSI kit). The S65 will have to get built to get over mid-600 WHP safely (block flex issues), while the N54 has proven to hit ~730 WHP with the FFTEC VFF900/6466 ST kit.... Reliably though?
        I know of an S65 that did 14 psi on the stock internals and was tracked. I'd be more concerned with the rod bearings really but any of these motors is going to be built when reliably going for big HP.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I know of an S65 that did 14 psi on the stock internals and was tracked. I'd be more concerned with the rod bearings really but any of these motors is going to be built when reliably going for big HP.
        It's pointless to say XX psi on a stock S65 unless we're blower specific... 14 psi with a Vortech YSI is very different than a V3 at 14 psi. I mean, I'm pretty sure that @evolve said they tested their stock motor kit with the Rotrex up to 10-12 psi on the S65, but even they said it's not a setup they'd want in customer's hands.

        And even with a built S65 motor, it's important to acknowledge your CR, sleeves & block reinforcement. Pretty sure it's not an accident that we haven't heard from the East Coast VT3 all summer
      1. mycoupe's Avatar
        mycoupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Who cares if it is or isn't it still has more headroom and always will.

        The ETA is as soon as it is possible.
        well, I'm gonna make 1500 whp out of mine as soon as it's possible. So, then what are you gonna do? I can play the unsubstantiated claim game too.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        It's pointless to say XX psi on a stock S65 unless we're blower specific... 14 psi with a Vortech YSI is very different than a V3 at 14 psi. I mean, I'm pretty sure that @evolve said they tested their stock motor kit with the Rotrex up to 10-12 psi on the S65, but even they said it's not a setup they'd want in customer's hands.

        And even with a built S65 motor, it's important to acknowledge your CR, sleeves & block reinforcement. Pretty sure it's not an accident that we haven't heard from the East Coast VT3 all summer
        Obviously since we haven't seen a YSI on the stock internals, only built motors, that should probably tell you since you know it's Gintani I'm referring to that it's a T-Trim unless you want to continue to play stupid to try bring up some outside point of knowledge as if it is some stunning revelation you are teaching me.

        Nobody would want that much boost on the stock internals in a customers hands as if its let's go then you get all the posts about oh they blew a motor oh noes blah blah blah idiots.

        Just sit there at 420 whp and watch what others are doing. Easy to type, isn't it?