• The M156/M159 loves octane - E85 ethanol versus 93 octane M156 W204 C63 AMG dyno tuning results

      These results are courtesy of BrenTuning. There are two lines on the dynograph below, the dotted one for 93 octane and the solid line shows the same car on E85 ethanol. Both fuels were dyno tuned on a Dynapack hub dyno (attaches to the wheels). What is important to pay attention to here is not the peak figures but the delta. E85 is clearly allowing more timing throughout the entire rev range making substantial gains through the whole curve.

      It would be interesting to see how the E85 results compare to say MS109 which is an unleaded race fuel. The M156/M159 being port-injected and naturally aspirated likely will not see quite the same gains with ethanol as a direct injected motor (due to the cooling effect of direct injection) but it goes to show that Ethanol works well with the M156 AMG motors.

      Now if only someone would give E85 a shot with a supercharged setup...

      This article was originally published in forum thread: The M156/M159 loves octane - E85 ethanol versus 93 octane M156 W204 C63 AMG dyno tuning results started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 39 Comments
      1. johnnyblaze's Avatar
        johnnyblaze -
        Interesting... Makes good power across the band. I wonder what it would do with my mods.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johnnyblaze Click here to enlarge
        Interesting... Makes good power across the band. I wonder what it would do with my mods.
        What are your mods?
      1. johnnyblaze's Avatar
        johnnyblaze -
        Long Tubes, Catless mids/x-pipe, ROW Airboxes, aFe drop in filters, OETuning custom tune. Pretty much FBO...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johnnyblaze Click here to enlarge
        Long Tubes, Catless mids/x-pipe, ROW Airboxes, aFe drop in filters, OETuning custom tune. Pretty much FBO...
        You would likely only gain due to timing advances but that should get you another ~30 whp through the curve on ethanol versus pump gas. It's like a race gas tune.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

        Now if only someone would give E85 a shot with a supercharged setup...

        ...lol
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        ...lol
        No one in their right mind would do that...
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Joe, better off testing against sme she'll URT if you can find any....or better yet, wait until the new gulf fuel is out next year.

        fyi I tried to edit post 7 above as i was not finished but for whatever reason the systm would not allow.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        No one in their right mind would do that...
        Why is that?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Joe, better off testing against sme she'll URT if you can find any....or better yet, wait until the new gulf fuel is out next year.

        fyi I tried to edit post 7 above as i was not finished but for whatever reason the systm would not allow.
        I'm really not interested in URT but thanks.

        What error did you receive on the edit?
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Joe, I was writing post 7 on my ipad. I inadvertently touched the send area. When I tried to edit the system would open the edit screen but it was grey and I could not edit (was immediately after I posted).
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        No one in their right mind would do that...
        E85 is so 4 months ago
      1. ecampbell's Avatar
        ecampbell -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        E85 is so 4 months ago
        So true buddy....so true.

        I have the space reserved for the 1/2 mile event in Georgia the middle of Sept. Fingers crossed the updates are done on the car for the event. The car will likely go back out west for the shift sector event (might get Luke involved as I won't be available).
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
        Joe, I was writing post 7 on my ipad. I inadvertently touched the send area. When I tried to edit the system would open the edit screen but it was grey and I could not edit (was immediately after I posted).
        Safari browser? You have to refresh. The forum doesn't play super well with the Ipad but when it gets grayed out like that a refresh should fix it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        E85 is so 4 months ago
        L O L
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        L O L
        I have been running E85 in the CLK since early May, had you not had me on a neg rep vacation you would have known that.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Broke a record too but since the tires smoked the entire run I figured why even post it when I left so much on the table.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I have been running E85 in the CLK since early May, had you not had me on a neg rep vacation you would have known that.
        I'm not sure why you think what fuel you are running is something I desperately needed to know but I'm glad someone is running E85 in a boosted M156 application as I believe I suggested at the No Fly Zone event. Also glad you are learning about the pluses and minuses of various fuels with forced induction.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Broke a record too but since the tires smoked the entire run I figured why even post it when I left so much on the table.
        Probably a good idea, show it at its best.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Probably a good idea, show it at its best.
        Is your car getting close? Doing Shift Sector?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Is your car getting close? Doing Shift Sector?
        Yes, close. No, I don't support Shift Sector. I will be doing my own events.