Close

    • Official - The 2014 BMW F82 BMW M4 design revealed early, pictures/photos

      Many saw a leaked image make the rounds on the internet yesterday of a yellow M4. The image was not a fake and here it is, your 2014 F82 M4 revealed before its official public debut at the Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance this weekend. So how does the car look? In a word, great. Nothing over the top here BMW is playing it safe. The hood has the power dome that became a staple of the M3's design with the E46 M3 and has the carbon roof from the E92 although is seen here with M color stripes for a nice touch.

      The sideskirts follow the E92 design. The front bumper takes inspiration from the 1M and is immediately recognizable as M. This brings us to the rear of the car where the taillights ditch the amber of the F32 4-Series (thankfully) and the car retains the quad exhaust setup the E46 M3 and E92 M3's brought us. Most importantly, the controversial 'bimmerrang' side vent received a redesign for the M version that looks much more like the E9X M setup. It just looks better.

      The car is a solid design and looks great. Now the question becomes what the official specifications would be. A 450 horsepower S55 turbocharged inlnie-6 mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission is expected. If BMW can drop the weight significantly, that may be enough. We will have to wait and see.

      Enjoy the pictures.


























      This article was originally published in forum thread: Official - The 2014 BMW F82 BMW M4 design revealed early, pictures/photos started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 120 Comments
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        mehhh dont really like it..looks like a c coupe and the front and fenders remind me of the 1m
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcvtec Click here to enlarge
        Hopefully we can tune this up to 600hp
        then it will be a great car

        Click here to enlarge
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge

        LOL! It sounds like a f*cking lawnmower.
      1. Brey335i's Avatar
        Brey335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        M stands for what?
        ///Marketing
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        Great vid! I like how they have the normal M's on one side and the track editions on he other side. I can't wait to see a csl/gts/gtr version of this. The exhaust sound pretty good to me, like a throater s54
        Yeah, because we always get those versions in the US.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, because we always get those versions in the US.
        We got the lime rock lol but yeah I highly doubt we'll see it. It doesn't mean it won't be nice to watch on top gear thoughClick here to enlarge
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        I understand that and it's likely true that the majority don't track their m series. However the M in M3 and M4 stands for Motorsport - not "sporty sedan". Just like the GT3 stands for "you can take your car from the factory and go directly to a racetrack and be competitive", that's what the M inM3 used to mean. That's all people mean I think when they argue about it. Not sure if that makes sense.

        Regardless, racetrack or not, "the Motorsport" trickles down into overall performance. On a secluded mountain road or a real racetrack - it carries over. things that apply on the racetrack apply here not just straight line speed and handling. The characteristics of the engine are very important; that's why we see so many awesome naturally aspirated engines in most good racing series today.
        +1

        People get so offended when you try to explain this.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        We got the lime rock lol but yeah I highly doubt we'll see it. It doesn't mean it won't be nice to watch on top gear thoughClick here to enlarge
        Lime Rock was lame.

        Only one worth anything we got was E36 Lightweight M3.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        GT3 with extras = $140,000

        M4 with extras = $70,000 approx

        Why in eff are we comparing them.... imagine if BMW went for the real UP market lower volume, lower profit margin approach... we could do a 600 hp V8 BMW M4 with twin turbos for that $140,000... now that would be a joy... kind of a tiny performance version of that M6 coupe tank....

        What I would like to see is a REAL LIGHTWEIGHT BMW M sports car again.. you know those days of 3200 lbs..... I am hearing this will be closer to 3600-3700 lbs... how in hell is that considered LIGHT... oh yes because the M5 and M6 are 4400 ish and the GT550 is night on 5000 lbs... the Mercs are all built like brick sheethouses and weigh way up there...
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Lime Rock was lame.

        Only one worth anything we got was E36 Lightweight M3.
        Haha no argument there
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        LOL! It sounds like a f*cking lawnmower.
        Usually I agree with you, but seriously? I hate that expression, this is what a lawnmower sounds like
        .

        This isn't the best note in the world, but compared to the other crap M has been putting out it sounds pretty damn good.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        From what I read, people are in for some sticker shock. Especially one with options like in the pictures.

        For the price range the M4 will reach, it has some serious competition to deal with. Now it is not about being better than the E9x M3, but better than the cars in its new price range.

        Crazy as it sounds, fully loaded this thing could push $90k. Especially when you consider carbon ceramic brakes on the M5/M6 are $9k.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        GT3 with extras = $140,000

        M4 with extras = $70,000 approx

        Why in eff are we comparing them.... imagine if BMW went for the real UP market lower volume, lower profit margin approach... we could do a 600 hp V8 BMW M4 with twin turbos for that $140,000... now that would be a joy... kind of a tiny performance version of that M6 coupe tank....

        What I would like to see is a REAL LIGHTWEIGHT BMW M sports car again.. you know those days of 3200 lbs..... I am hearing this will be closer to 3600-3700 lbs... how in hell is that considered LIGHT... oh yes because the M5 and M6 are 4400 ish and the GT550 is night on 5000 lbs... the Mercs are all built like brick sheethouses and weigh way up there...
        It's not a pricing issue...
      1. khyber's Avatar
        khyber -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I see you have a large misconception. The M5 was always the four door sports car:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV94TvChvTc



        Until it goes into limp mode. And the E92 M3 didn't $#@! all over the E46 M3 CSL around the track just like the new M4 will get spanked by the M3 GTS which will be lighter and just about match it in power. Plus... actually be able to do multiple laps.
        Only goes into limp mode in the summer, but with the E60 M5 I never got to trigger limp mode in 30 minute track sessions even in the summer. There is a guy who tracks his F10 M5 with us and he got a transmission limp, but thats about it. I do consider the E60 M5 / E9X M3s the GT3s of the M generation while the new generation of M cars are the 911 Turbo while the older generations are the GT3.

        Either way in four years time we all probably own a M4 or F30 M3 and be tracking them. Click here to enlarge or saving up for a 997/991 GT3.

        I would love to see a lightweight ///M car again as well.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
        ///Marketing
        Yeah...it started when comparing the S65 to F1 engines. I laught everytime I hear some butthurt M3 owner spout that off. Hahahahahahaa
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Why are you comparing race cars to stock street cars? lets go stock street to stock street. The F82 will smash an E92 on the track. watch and see. BMW isn't going to go backward in engineering. This new M4 will be better in all ways. period. Sticky you sound like the whining porsche guys when the new car came out. Now they're saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. It'll happen here too. You may have to complain about 500less RPM. That comes with the FI territory. I rev my EVO out to 8500 and guess what, it's useful maybe once every couple of months when i'm racing someone that can't rev that high. for a street car, it won't matter. when you start talking CSL or GTS then maybe it matters, but that's because those are purpose built race cars. stock M4s are not. you want a race car buy a GTS.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I see you have a large misconception. The M5 was always the four door sports car:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV94TvChvTc



        Until it goes into limp mode. And the E92 M3 didn't $#@! all over the E46 M3 CSL around the track just like the new M4 will get spanked by the M3 GTS which will be lighter and just about match it in power. Plus... actually be able to do multiple laps.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        From what I read, people are in for some sticker shock. Especially one with options like in the pictures.

        For the price range the M4 will reach, it has some serious competition to deal with. Now it is not about being better than the E9x M3, but better than the cars in its new price range.

        Crazy as it sounds, fully loaded this thing could push $90k. Especially when you consider carbon ceramic brakes on the M5/M6 are $9k.
        Exactly. And this is a BMW problem as a whole. New 435i prices will reach $60k probably. Well that's some pretty stiff competition too. I have a feeling we're going to see many more 235i than 435i solely due to pricing. that and 335i sedan will always be cheaper than the coupe so i imagine we'll see plenty of fast 4 doors LOL
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's not a pricing issue...

        Sticky - I understand the OP wasn't talking price but my point was why compare an expensive GT3 race car to what is a highly marketed "Daddy's" street car (M4)

        BTW anyone else feel peeved like me about
        the use of M... the new 235i will be M235i but it wont be an M.. cause there is an M2...
      1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
        Puerto Rican 335d -
        I6 twin turbo Diesel please!!!!!
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        The exhaust sound pretty good to me, like a throater s54
        Impossible! M is over, this car sucks, it sounds like $#@! Click here to enlarge

        FYI this car is going to crush the previous m3 and set the bar for the competition.....IMO at least