Close

    • F80 M3 / F82 M4 testing at the ring shows off the new S55 turbo inline-6 exhaust note - New M3/M4 sounds average? Comparison to E92 M3 S65 V8

      It is no secret the switch to turbo motors for the BMW M division has brought along with it some issues that upset M purists. A recent comparison between the classic naturally aspirated M exhaust note in the E60 M5 versus the new turbo exhaust note in the F10 M5 highlighted a glaring difference in sound quality. Do not forget, the F10 M5 is receiving a revised exhaust system so BMW themselves recognizes the exhaust note in their latest M cars has not exactly been up to the standards they set themselves.


      Let's be honest, the new M5 even fakes its exhaust sound with synthetic noise piped into the cabin so things have gone a bit off the rails at M. BMW recognizes its latest M missteps so this should bode well for the exhaust note of the new F80 M3 and F82 M4. The video below is the clearest sound yet of the upcoming new M cars.

      Take a listen:


      How do you feel? It seems to be a bit more uncorked than the F10 M5 factory note was but still has a low pitched drone sound quality to it. Spectacular? No. Passable? Sure.

      Now take a listen to a compilation of the E92 M3 S65 V8 exhaust note:


      Is it even a contest? If fuel economy and cost saving matters more than emotion at M these days, so be it. But something has been lost in translation.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: F80 M3 / F82 M4 testing at the ring shows off the new S55 turbo inline-6 exhaust note - New M3/M4 sounds average? Comparison to E92 M3 S65 V8 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 161 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        Where did I mention the N54?? So if the STOCK S65 exhaust is SO great, then show me just ONE enthusiast who didn't put an aftermarket exhaust on his M3. Just ONE.
        You can't think of a possible reason why even, um, let's say guys with Gallardos, F430's, Carrera GT's, etc., get aftermarket systems? This boggles your mind? Really?

        And if you put an aftermarket system on a crap it's still crap. Once again, no exhaust is going to turn a four cylinder into a V8 and vice versa.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        Yes it can sound great with an Akrapovic or other exhaust, but what's the point of comparing that to a stock/development stage F82 exhaust?
        It sounds great with an exhaust available from the factory. The point is showing how the new engine design simply won't hold a candle in a certain aspect to the past engine designs. There are pluses and negative. You can blindly praise M if you want.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        +1, no enthusiast with a m3 keeps the stock exhaust
        Because BMW isn't going to remove cats in an X-pipe or give you a muffler that sets off car alarms. This is your point? Really?
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because BMW isn't going to remove cats in an X-pipe or give you a muffler that sets off car alarms. This is your point? Really?
        Not my point but your the one that posted a car with a aftermarket exhaust so ....really, it's your point
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        Not my point but your the one that posted a car with a aftermarket exhaust so ....really, it's your point
        Um no I posted a compilation video and it isn't my fault one doesn't exist for the upcoming M3 since it isn't on the market. Go ahead, post one and balance it out.

        Secondly, another video is posted of the M3 with the optional factory exhaust system. Let me guess, you're going to reach now and say the F80 would sound just as good if it got an optional system? How far you going to reach before it clicks nothing can be done, nothing, to change the design of the motor and the associated sound quality and potential due to the design?
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        I'm just going to wait for a finished product before I start throwing stones....that's my point
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        I'm just going to wait for a finished product before I start throwing stones....that's my point
        So you see it testing, you hear it testing, you heard a comparison video between the F10 M5 and the E60 M5 both with aftermarket exhausts, and you're sitting there essentially hoping for a miracle?

        You really believe it will be anywhere near as good despite all evidence right in front of you pointing to the opposite?

        Look, the car will be faster blah blah blah but there are some things it won't be better at. There will be pluses and minuses. What is so hard to accept?
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Well the sound doesn't really matter all that much to me so I don't really care, if it sounds decent and is a lot faster than the e9x, I'm happy. Right now, without a supercharger, the m isn't fast enough for me, this new car will take care of that problem. If it sounds worse, so be it, that's a trade off of a tt 6 cylinder I'm willing to accept.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        Well the sound doesn't really matter all that much to me so I don't really care, if it sounds decent and is a lot faster than the e9x, I'm happy. Right now, without a supercharger, the m isn't fast enough for me, this new car will take care of that problem. If it sounds worse, so be it, that's a trade off of a tt 6 cylinder I'm willing to accept.
        So what's the struggle in admitting it won't sound as good? Not even nearly as good?

        How fast do you expect the new M to be exactly? The F10 M5 isn't fast enough for me and it will be faster than the new M3. So I mean, what is fast enough for you? And the M3 with bolt ons is plenty fast. Is your current car 'fast' enough?

        Yes, there are tradeoffs. Sound, heat, weight distribution, weight of the motor itself, reliability, there's all kinds of things. It goes both ways. I don't understand the resistance to accepting that.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sound quality of new M cars is a major point and not dumb at all.
        Sound Quality < Performance

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If they sounded 'good' BMW would not be revising the exhaust system and they would never have bothered with synthetic engine sounds.
        The "synthetic engine sounds" you're talking about are authentic S63 Tu engine tones/sounds, but because it's so quiet the pump the engine noise back into the cabin. If you got an aftermarket exhaust, it'd be much more louder, noticeable & acoustically pleasing..... Just like an E9x m3

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        There are turbo motors that sound good. The M838T sounds amazing, wonder if anyone can guess why?
        It's a flat-plane, race inspired V8.... That probably cost as much as an M3. And just like the V12-TT in the Huayra, McLaren probably spent a TON of time and money on finding out how they could keep road legal emissions & offer an acoustically pleasing exhaust note because their customers are paying somewhere between $225k (McLaren) and $1.3 Million (Pagani)
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -



        Go to 7:20 -- That's just how much work went into the exhaust; BMW will NEVER go to these lengths because they're not selling $1 million+ cars. The Koenigsegg Agera is another turbo'd car I'd say has a good sound exhaust note, but once again that's a $1 million+ car that's had some incredible, non-conventional technology being implemented in it.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        Well the sound doesn't really matter all that much to me so I don't really care, if it sounds decent and is a lot faster than the e9x, I'm happy. Right now, without a supercharger, the m isn't fast enough for me, this new car will take care of that problem. If it sounds worse, so be it, that's a trade off of a tt 6 cylinder I'm willing to accept.
        This is really the argument.. how much faster will it be, how much more backing will it have now from aftermarket. I still dont like any non V8+ bmw exhaust, or motor for that matter, but will the power achieved in 2014-2016 on the new M4 outweight what i have now.. I seriously doubt it as i dont even like the look of it yet. for me, it needs an easily achievable and reliable 600+ for me to swap at this point, there is nothing I dont love about my car as it sits now.. besides a few minor appearance personalizations
      1. Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
        Alpina_B3_Lux -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You enjoy your slow heavy car. If you wanted a faster and lighter plus higher revving car and enjoyed driving you would get the M3. Take a look at my sig. You were saying something about being slow? That would be what you currently drive. Which will never get close. Neither will a Maserati.
        Obviously I wasn't talking about an M3 with a blower on it like you have. I was talking about a stock M3 and they are slow. Just like the Maser, but the Maser sounds way better.

        Point is I wouldn't want a slow V8 car without torque like the M3. Nor a slow V8 car where someone slammed on a blower to make it faster and which will disintegrate once I drive it for 15 minutes on the Autobahn.

        Alpina_B3_Lux
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So what's the struggle in admitting it won't sound as good? Not even nearly as good?

        How fast do you expect the new M to be exactly? The F10 M5 isn't fast enough for me and it will be faster than the new M3. So I mean, what is fast enough for you? And the M3 with bolt ons is plenty fast. Is your current car 'fast' enough?

        Yes, there are tradeoffs. Sound, heat, weight distribution, weight of the motor itself, reliability, there's all kinds of things. It goes both ways. I don't understand the resistance to accepting that.
        It won't sound the same and maybe not as good, but I don't care.

        My car isn't fast enough for me ATM, it was but I grew bored so I ordered vtt's.

        I'm thinking the new m should be 3.9-4.0 0-60 and 11.9-12.2 1/4....stock, which IMO will be fast enough for BMW to compete.

        You mentioned a FBO m3, I'm talking stock. Throw a tune on the new m and watch out.

        I read a recent article where BMW said the new m2 will definitely be faster than the 1m, so naturally the new m3/m4 will be even quicker.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        This is really the argument.. how much faster will it be, how much more backing will it have now from aftermarket. I still dont like any non V8+ bmw exhaust, or motor for that matter, but will the power achieved in 2014-2016 on the new M4 outweight what i have now.. I seriously doubt it as i dont even like the look of it yet. for me, it needs an easily achievable and reliable 600+ for me to swap at this point, there is nothing I dont love about my car as it sits now.. besides a few minor appearance personalizations
        LM, I love your car,ill buy it from you when you move onto this Click here to enlarge
        Attachment 31870
      1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
        Puerto Rican 335d -
        Boy this is getting FUGLY!!!
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        It won't sound the same and maybe not as good, but I don't care.

        My car isn't fast enough for me ATM, it was but I grew bored so I ordered vtt's.

        I'm thinking the new m should be 3.9-4.0 0-60 and 11.9-12.2 1/4....stock, which IMO will be fast enough for BMW to compete.

        You mentioned a FBO m3, I'm talking stock. Throw a tune on the new m and watch out.

        I read a recent article where BMW said the new m2 will definitely be faster than the 1m, so naturally the new m3/m4 will be even quicker.
        That article said the M235 is going to be faster. The M2 (if made) is going to be badass and is going to be for BMW what the M3 used to be.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        And my next car if true^
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Attachment 31871
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        OK girls.

        (all stock comparisons)

        A V12 will sound better then a V10, a V10 will sound better than a V8 and a V8 will sound better than a I6. Its life.

        The N54 / N55 sound is average. Nothing great, nothing bad

        The E9x M3's have a great sound, but they're slow as dogs unless you dump crazy money into them.

        E46 M3 sounded like a bunch of metal hitting each other, its awful. Only people that own them, or really try to push the BMW brand like it.

        Stop bickering about your opinions. If you don't like the sound, don't buy the car.

        Also @Sticky

        This was a awful comparison. Wait until there is a proper sound capture and compare it stock for stock. If we want to use modded exhaust, a N54 with the HPF system sounds like a $#@!ing race car. But thats not stock

        (personally) I don't give a $#@! what the car sounds like, as long as it is a great car, drives well, has good power, I can change the sound later with other exhaust if i want.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        LM, I love your car,ill buy it from you when you move onto this Click here to enlarge
        Attachment 31870
        That is one sexy ass car. I have a feeling the motor is going to be special too. Can't wait!!!! I'm personally in line for an M2 unless they put a I4 in it, then it's M235i for me Click here to enlarge