• IND-Distribution shows off the difference in engine notes between the E60 M5 S85 V10 and F10 M5 S63TU V8 plus the sound quality of the Eisenmann Race Exhaust

      Very well done sound quality comparison and high quality video from IND-Distribution demonstrating the difference between two M motors and really two different eras. One represents the classic M high revving naturally aspirated approach that being the S85 5.0 liter V10 in the E60 M5. The other is the brand new "Efficient Dynamics" era S63TU Twin Turbo direct injected 4.4 liter V8 in the brand new F10 M5. Both are equipped with Eisenmann exhaust systems. So which sounds better?


      It is no contest. The S85 V10 is arguably the best sounding production M motor of all time with simply an exotic engine note that is difficult to equate to anything that is not expensive and Italian. This is the only production V10 for street car use ever produced by M and they the bar very high. Literally, the only other place you could get something on this level would be in a much more expensive exotic from Italy. We will never see (or hear) something this good in a new M car ever again. The Eisenmann Race exhaust compliments and accentuates the engine note perfectly.

      Then there is new S63TU V8 alongside the E60 M5. The engine note has been described as weak and BMW even pipes in synthetic noise due to this. Is there anything else that needs to be said really? It will never sound as good as the S85 V10 at full song. Period. An aftermarket exhaust like the Eisenmann Race you hear here definitely will help it sound more like an M should but this comparison is no contest.

      If you want your M5 to sound like this, contact IND-Distribution: http://ind-distribution.com/main.php @Ilia@IND @Nate@IND


      F10 M5 Eisenmann Race with AMS downpipes:


      E60 M5 Eisenmann Race:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: e60 vs f10 started by G0TB00ST? View original post
      Comments 41 Comments
      1. cisi's Avatar
        cisi -
        the video is a little bit "lame" as the old M5 comes alive at certain rpm and under load even more.
        Listen to this one, formula 1 feeling/sound with an eisenmann race exhaust:
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
        that v10 is the best bmw exhaust note to date imho
        I personally think it's the best production car exhaust note across all manufacturers... Call me crazy for not going with an exotic, but for some reason, this hits home for me - it sounds about as close to an F1 car as you can get... I love this engine.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        If it had a flat-plane crank I'd agree. Nothing beats a Ferrari.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        first video:

        F10 sounds muffled

        E60 shreds it


        last 2:

        F10 sounds miles better, throaty and powerful, E60 sounds hollow and muffled

        all comes down to how they're trying to record it it seems... video 2, the F10 sounds 10000 times better than the first video

        >The S85 V10 is arguably the best sounding production M motor of all time with simply an exotic engine note that is difficult to equate to anything that is not expensive and Italian.

        here, used F10's are ~200k, new ~250k

        you can get a few year old ferrari (v8, V12, whatever) for that >_<
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        I personally think it's the best production car exhaust note across all manufacturers... Call me crazy for not going with an exotic, but for some reason, this hits home for me - it sounds about as close to an F1 car as you can get... I love this engine.
        i'd argue for V10's, the LF-A gives the engine/exhaust note contest a fair try lol.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        F10 sounds miles better, throaty and powerful, E60 sounds hollow and muffled

        all comes down to how they're trying to record it it seems... video 2, the F10 sounds 10000 times better than the first video
        Trust me it isn't how they are trying to record the F10 will be more muffled by design and an uncorked S85 plays the song angels sing as you approach the heavenly gates.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        i'd argue for V10's, the LF-A gives the engine/exhaust note contest a fair try lol.
        Name a poor sounding high revving naturally aspirated V10.
      1. G0TB00ST?'s Avatar
        G0TB00ST? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
        I personally think it's the best production car exhaust note across all manufacturers... Call me crazy for not going with an exotic, but for some reason, this hits home for me - it sounds about as close to an F1 car as you can get... I love this engine.
        I could agree with that. The only car that comes close for me is the Porsche carrera gt
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Name a poor sounding high revving naturally aspirated V10.

        I cant lol

        i dont think it exists :p

        Theres a local v10 dodge ram that sounds off its nut (rare RARE car here, being imported and $$$$$)
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Trust me it isn't how they are trying to record the F10 will be more muffled by design and an uncorked S85 plays the song angels sing as you approach the heavenly gates.

        Yes i know, turbos harmonically dampen a bit

        but opened up you can't say you wouldn't flick your neck around if you heard it :p
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        Yes i know, turbos harmonically dampen a bit

        but opened up you can't say you wouldn't flick your neck around if you heard it :p
        I've heard uncorked F10's and E60's in person. The F10 desperately NEEDS an exhaust and sounds much better with one but the S85 is on another level.
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Without doubt the V10 sounds much better BUT the F10 sounds pretty damn good with exhaust. I was pleasantly surprised.

        I kinda like the S65 note over the S85......I know I'm in the minority on that one.....
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I've heard uncorked F10's and E60's in person. The F10 desperately NEEDS an exhaust and sounds much better with one but the S85 is on another level.
        true

        but we're complaning about a 9.5/10 sound in comparison to an 11/10 sound

        it's a silly thing to complain about >_<
      1. mpower33's Avatar
        mpower33 -
        both cars sounds nice
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        true

        but we're complaning about a 9.5/10 sound in comparison to an 11/10 sound

        it's a silly thing to complain about >_<
        We complain about far more trivial things as car enthusiasts. The sound is important though.
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        We complain about far more trivial things as car enthusiasts. The sound is important though.
        true

        i just left a dyno day before the biggest guns came out because there were too freakin many S15's (s chassis in general)

        there's only so many 400-450whp SR20's you can see dyno'd before you've seen them all...

        ... that, and they couldn't get the CLA45 to put down numebrs without traction control killing it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        ... that, and they couldn't get the CLA45 to put down numebrs without traction control killing it.
        You have to put it in dyno mode...
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You have to put it in dyno mode...
        any idea how to do that?

        i'm sure the owner/shop owner/downshift people would LOVE to know!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
        any idea how to do that?

        i'm sure the owner/shop owner/downshift people would LOVE to know!!
        http://www.benzboost.com/showthread....ing-dyno-modes
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        that thread didn't have how to get in it - thanks though

        that one just said don't hit the kickdown

        problems were had with the A45 where it was cutting the rear wheels from spinning.. managed to find 'dyno mode' in a few button presses+key inserts via google, told the owner to give it a go, not sure if he has yet

        apparently they were having troubles with the E92 M3 that rocked up... it only put down 309whp (compared to kirsties 306 135i), they were having trouble getting it to hold a high gear apparently

        can you tell this was done at a JDM workshop? (most powerful RB GT-R in the country though lol)