Close

    • More test numbers for the 2014 Audi R8 V10 plus - 11.4@126 1/4 mile, 3689 pound curb weight

      Here are more test numbers for the facelifted Audi R8 V10 Plus model with the 550 horsepower 5.2 liter FSI V10 motor and 7-speed S-Tronic dual clutch transmission. Car and driver was able to get a healthy 11.4@126 out of the car in the 1/4 mile which lines up exactly with what German magazine AMS was able to hit. Edmunds got a slightly better elapsed time at 11.3 but their trap speed was lower at 123.8 miles per hour.

      Curb weight numbers all line up as Edmunds weighed the car at 3676 pounds and Car and Driver weighed it at 3689 pounds. So, not super light as the dual clutch trans is adding a little bit of weight.

      Definitely a very quick car in stock form and the dual clutch transmission is giving approximately three tenths of elapsed time versus the R-Tronic although the R-Tronic V10 had less horsepower so it is difficult to say definitively. Either way, this is the fastest R8 made for the street thus far.




      Source

      This article was originally published in forum thread: More test numbers for the 2014 Audi R8 V10 plus - 11.4@126 1/4 mile, 3689 pound curb weight started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        I test drove one of these today. It's absolutely incredible! I want one... I want one, bad!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        I test drove one of these today. It's absolutely incredible! I want one... I want one, bad!
        How did it feel?
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How did it feel?

        It took some getting used to the brakes, they really do feel sticky, this seemed to go away after driving for several minutes.


        As I've said before, JHB is 1700m - 1800m above sea level, so a NA car is getting a 16-18% hit in power, we also don't have 98 RON petrol (Which the handbook says the car should run) at our petrol stations so I imagine it was on 95. However, it felt great, 450hp - 460hp is still a bunch of fun.


        Steering was tight, and the car stuck to the road like it was on rail tracks.


        Acceleration is seriously impressive and the throttle is very very responsive. The responsive throttle coupled with sticky brakes makes you feel like a learner driver for the first couple minutes. I would have liked to try launch control with a vbox to get some real numbers, but I don't think the guy from Audi would have been happy. The R8 has a similar setup to other "performance" Audi vehicles in regards to sport mode - the car stays in between 3500rpm to 4500rpm, and there is a significant change in exhaust note. Driving through the city with that noise from the V10 reverberating off the buildings was amazing.


        The Plus edition, I believe, comes standard with bucket seats. The seats are fairly comfortable, they do make the ride a little bit hard, but they do give you a lot of side support when in the corners.


        The biggest plus for me, was being 6'3", I could easily fit into the car. Lots of leg room and about 5cm between my head and the roof. For comparison, I can't fit into a Gallardo.


        The only thing I wasn't too fond of, is the pedals are set to the left of the driver's seat, so you sit at an angle while driving, but you quickly got used to it.

        Um, I realise now after writing all of that, was all you asked was how did it feel. Tl;dr it felt fantastic.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        was all you asked was how did it feel. Tl;dr it felt fantastic.
        lol ya glad to hear. Considering one for the next ride.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        lol ya glad to hear. Considering one for the next ride.
        And the M3 becomes a track car?

        Have you driven an R8 yet?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        And the M3 becomes a track car?
        No, just becomes somebody else's.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        Have you driven an R8 yet?
        Nope.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, just becomes somebody else's.



        Nope.
        So when are you thinking of changing?

        Stop slacking, man! Also, I'd probably go with a standard with R8 V10, the plus is only 0.1s faster 0-100km/h.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        So when are you thinking of changing?

        Stop slacking, man! Also, I'd probably go with a standard with R8 V10, the plus is only 0.1s faster 0-100km/h.
        For my birthday this year in December.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        For my birthday this year in December.
        That sounds like an incredibly EPIC birthday present!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        That sounds like an incredibly EPIC birthday present!
        Well it's the big 30. Want to do something awesome. Just need to hurry up with my car, set some records, do some magazines, and then move on.
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Get a manual, or a DCT plus. I got the opportunity to drive a 4.2 spyder with the s-tronic. Had a great experience other than the stop and go stuff. Maybe its because I'm not used to cars with an automated clutch. If it was my money I would go for that beautiful aluminum gated shifter. Click here to enlarge

        Attachment 30829
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        Get a manual, or a DCT plus. I got the opportunity to drive a 4.2 spyder with the s-tronic. Had a great experience other than the stop and go stuff. Maybe its because I'm not used to cars with an automated clutch. If it was my money I would go for that beautiful aluminum gated shifter. Click here to enlarge

        Attachment 30829
        It would be R-Tronic likely if I did it. And spyder. And V10. And UGR turbos.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It would be R-Tronic likely if I did it. And spyder. And V10. And UGR turbos.
        Red spyder.

        And UGR turbos? Gahd. I'm jelly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        Red spyder.

        And UGR turbos? Gahd. I'm jelly.
        Don't be that's down the line and would need to sell the M3 first.
      1. m54b25's Avatar
        m54b25 -
        Well, the price of buying the car new R8 V10 or Lambo Gallardo + add around ~$140k for the X Twin turbo kit & X engine build upgrades.. drive it for less than 6k miles... not many Lambo/Audi dealer will give you the money near a used untouched stock car after this kind of mods, no warranty & it no longer pass SMOG/EPA.

        So the FUN you spend for this race TT conversions it's a matter of how long you want to keep a Audi/Lambo TT & the hit of resale value.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
        Well, the price of buying the car new R8 V10 or Lambo Gallardo + add around ~$140k for the X Twin turbo kit & X engine build upgrades.. drive it for less than 6k miles... not many Lambo/Audi dealer will give you the money near a used untouched stock car after this kind of mods, no warranty & it no longer pass SMOG/EPA.

        So the FUN you spend for this race TT conversions it's a matter of how long you want to keep a Audi/Lambo TT & the hit of resale value.
        It's a toy not an investment Click here to enlarge