• Porsche intends to go hybrid for their entire future model lineup, all Porsche models will be hybrids

      This is an interesting development and one that really makes one scratch their head. Porsche obviously has demonstrated hybrid technology can work and work extremely well in sports cars with their 918 Spyder hybrid supercar. A company spokesperson at the recent Panamera Hybrid technology workshop stated Porsche developed a new hybrid module that combines the electric motor and clutches in one unit is capable of fitting in all Porsche models including the 911.


      Does this mean the race bred GT3 will go hybrid? The GT2? Even the lightweight RS models? It's understandable Porsche wants to push for greater efficiency but the downside here is that it essentially means all future Porsche models will gain weight. The GT3 simply won't be as tossable with electric motors and batteries in it.

      It's great Porsche is pushing the technology but is it really necessary to put it in every car in the lineup? That just does not make sense for a sports car manufacturer trying to build the best drivers car possible where weight is one of the major enemies. Porsche even complained about the weight a dual clutch transmission would add to the GT3 so it seems odd they would now be willing to put heavy electric drivetrain components in it.

      Regardless, expect to see a lot more hybrid Porsches.

      Source
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Porsche intends to go hybrid for their entire future model lineup, all Porsche models will be hybrids started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 7 Comments
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        So does that mean the GT3 will less special in your eyes because it will share the same hybrid components as other models? Hahahahaha...I could only imagine the $#@! fit you would be throwing if BMW would have announced they were going all hybrid.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        So does that mean the GT3 will less special in your eyes because it will share the same hybrid components as other models? Hahahahaha...I could only imagine the $#@! fit you would be throwing if BMW would have announced they were going all hybrid.
        I don't think you need to do hybrid EVERYTHING.

        I mean some people would prefer a lighter car to a hybrid car... especially when it comes to a sports car.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        How much weight do you think the hybrid system adds? 2-600 lbs depending on how its done? I don't know how they could do it to the gt3. Leave that alone!
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        I think they mean there will be a hybrid version of every model, not that every single one will be a hybrid. So I would guess there will be a hybrid Panamera, 911, Cayenne, etc. but that doesn't mean the Turbo, GT3, etc. will also become hybrids.
      1. andrew20195's Avatar
        andrew20195 -
        According to Edmunds, Porsche says there will be a hybrid version of every major model, from Cayman to Cayenne. The GT3 and GT2 are specialty vehicles, I doubt they will be affected.

        http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/pors...jor-model.html
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
        According to Edmunds, Porsche says there will be a hybrid version of every major model, from Cayman to Cayenne. The GT3 and GT2 are specialty vehicles, I doubt they will be affected.

        http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/pors...jor-model.html
        This makes a lot more sense. I cant imagine how many customers they would lose if you HAD to buy a hybrid if you wanted a new Porsche, no exceptions.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I think they mean there will be a hybrid version of every model, not that every single one will be a hybrid. So I would guess there will be a hybrid Panamera, 911, Cayenne, etc. but that doesn't mean the Turbo, GT3, etc. will also become hybrids.
        Let's hope so.