• The new F22 M235i coupe spotted undisguised and without camo - Hot or not? Pictures

      So the "successor" to the E82 1-Series in the USA will be the F22 2-Series. Yes, the new 1-Series hatback will not be coming over to the USA so the 2-Series coupe will fill that void as the spiritual successor. This car will compete with the Mercedes-Benz CLA as well as the Audi A3 sedan. The M235i version you see here will likely share the exact same drivetrain as the F10 M135i which means a 320 horsepower N55 3.0 liter turbocharged and direct injected inline-6.

      The styling of the car looks to be a bit of a blend of F30 3-Series and F32 4-Series although smaller. The headlights takes F30 inspiration but do not go all the way to the grille giving an edgy look to the corners that is aggressive. This will be a pretty good looking car and a great entry level BMW especially if the weight is kept fairly low. It may end up being the most fun car to drive in the BMW lineup.

      Photos below.





















      This article was originally published in forum thread: The new F22 M235i coupe spotted undisguised and without camo - Hot or not? Pictures started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 56 Comments
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        I think it looks awesome! An M2 with some wider fender flares and a detuned M4 engine please! I've already hinted to my wife that she needs to trade in her 535 for an M2. Need a brother to the 1M (super fake M car)...Plus I hate her 5 series...it huge and boring...is comfy on long trips though.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        So the "successor" to the E82 1-Series in the USA will be the F22 2-Series. Yes, the new 1-Series hatback will not be coming over to the USA so the 2-Series coupe will fill that void as the spiritual successor. This car will compete with the Mercedes-Benz CLA as well as the Audi A3 sedan. The M235i version you see here will likely share the exact same drivetrain as the F10 M135i which means a 320 horsepower N55 3.0 liter turbocharged and direct injected inline-6.

        The styling of the car looks to be a bit of a blend of F30 3-Series and F32 4-Series although smaller. The headlights takes F30 inspiration but do not go all the way to the grille giving an edgy look to the corners that is aggressive. This will be a pretty good looking car and a great entry level BMW especially if the weight is kept fairly low. It may end up being the most fun car to drive in the BMW lineup.

        Photos below.

        I think the new m135 is lighter than the outgoing model so there is hope for this to be lighter. Hopefully the M2 gets a CF roof this time.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
        OMG BMW can still do it! I was about to lose hope!
        If we are going by looks....I think the 5 and 6 are damn good looking cars....$#@!ing huge ass boats...but good looking cars. Hopefully the electric steering doesn't $#@! it in the ass.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        I think it looks awesome! An M2 with some wider fender flares and a detuned M4 engine please! I've already hinted to my wife that she needs to trade in her 535 for an M2. Need a brother to the 1M (super fake M car)...Plus I hate her 5 series...it huge and boring...is comfy on long trips though.
        Detuned M4 engine would just make this step all over the M4 and BMW carefully positioned the M3 to not step on the M6. So... if an M version comes I think a tuned N20 makes all the more sense especially when positioned against the CLA45 AMG and the Audi S3.

        Maybe BMW will get their balls back as an engine builder and try to show what they can do with a four cylinder as AMG set the bar absurdly high with theirs.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Detuned M4 engine would just make this step all over the M4 and BMW carefully positioned the M3 to not step on the M6. So... if an M version comes I think a tuned N20 makes all the more sense especially when positioned against the CLA45 AMG and the Audi S3.

        Maybe BMW will get their balls back as an engine builder and try to show what they can do with a four cylinder as AMG set the bar absurdly high with theirs.
        You're right...all the rumors have it as a 4 cil but I would rather have a 6.

        Doesn't bmw have a 3 cil that makes over 300 hp stock? I saw a vid of that 3 cilynder engine and it actually sounded better that the n54...about the same as an n55. I will see if I can find it.
      1. bigup's Avatar
        bigup -
        Overall, it looks OK, if a little mundane. Also, I'm not a fan of the awkward hood line found on current BMWs.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Doesn't bmw have a 3 cil that makes over 300 hp stock? I saw a vid of that 3 cilynder engine and it actually sounded better that the n54...about the same as an n55. I will see if I can find it.
        It doesn't make over 300. Something around 220.

        Don't give them any ideas they may try to stick it in there.
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        The M235i will have an N55. How on earth would they put a 4 banger in the lineups M car? Not gonna happen. I say the new M3/M4 has a TT I6 with 450hp. The M2 has a turbo or TT I6 that makes about 380hp. This would put it 80hp over the 235i and 70hp less than the M3/4. I'm still not sure whether it'll be it's own motor or detuned M3/4 motor
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        The M235i will have an N55. How on earth would they put a 4 banger in the lineups M car? Not gonna happen
        You act like they have never put a four cylinder in a car they already offered with a 6.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        The M2 has a turbo or TT I6 that makes about 380hp.
        It's certainly possible and if this is so then it will crap all over the CLA45 AMG and the Audi S3.

        I would like to see BMW do something different than just take the 6 they already have and stick it in everything.
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        M2 CSL with N54 would be the tits!
      1. cisi's Avatar
        cisi -
        that would be just like the M235i (it doesnt make that difference any more).
        A real M2 CSL with a motorsport engine (dedicated engine) would be fun. High revving V8 or straight 6. (maybe a supercharger but no turbo at all).
      1. MrClean335i's Avatar
        MrClean335i -
        The M2 engine is going to be a massaged N55 putting out 370hp to 380hp. You can take that to the bank.
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
        that would be just like the M235i (it doesnt make that difference any more).
        A real M2 CSL with a motorsport engine (dedicated engine) would be fun. High revving V8 or straight 6. (maybe a supercharger but no turbo at all).
        Not gonna happen unfortunately. No way a V8 will be put into a 2-series. A IL6 would be possible, but with current emissions witch hunting a turbo engine is far more likely. Beefed-up N55 most likely. Although I would prefer the N54 for tunability.
      1. cstavaru's Avatar
        cstavaru -
        This is my new favorite contemporary design from BMW, short of the M6 and M6 Gran Coupe. It looks great, better than the F30 and I suspect better than the new 4-series coupe too (because that shares the front with the 3 sedan which is ugly to me).

        Finally BMW did not ruin a small car design in order to favor the bigger cars in sales (probably thanks to the Mercedes CLA and A-class competition ?). The hideous headlamps from the new 1-series are gone, and the new ones look so much better. The front bumper looks great too.

        This is a win. If it will be like 300lbs lighter than the 4-series coupe (ok, I'm dreaming), the M2 will be great. However I think that a good M2 should not have the N55 320hp engine because it really needs like 350hp to be very good, like the 1M has. I would hope it has a detuned (or better, not detuned) M4 S55 engine Click here to enlarge
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Yes...not detuned S55 should be it!!!!
      1. cisi's Avatar
        cisi -
        from what i have read around, chances are huge it will be a tuned N20 (4 cyl turbo) to compete with the CLA AMG and finally the golf R and RS3.
        But im still hoping for a detuned M3 engine.(new M3)
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        If this is true, I have a feeling sales aren't going to be as good as they would have been if it was just a tuned N55. It's just idiotic to put an I4T (not even a true individual M motor) in the segment's M car and an I6T in the less expensive car. Sure, stock for stock the M2 may have 350HP with the I4 and the M235i will have 300HP in the I6 but it doesn't take a genius to figure out which one has more potential, especially from an I6T that's been around for 3 years now. WTF

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
        from what i have read around, chances are huge it will be a tuned N20 (4 cyl turbo) to compete with the CLA AMG and finally the golf R and RS3.
        But im still hoping for a detuned M3 engine.(new M3)
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Did 3/4 of the brains of BMW die in the last 5 years?
      1. spool twice's Avatar
        spool twice -
        I like it....but its lost the puppy doh playful look of the 1series
      1. cisi's Avatar
        cisi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
        If this is true, I have a feeling sales aren't going to be as good as they would have been if it was just a tuned N55. It's just idiotic to put an I4T (not even a true individual M motor) in the segment's M car and an I6T in the less expensive car. Sure, stock for stock the M2 may have 350HP with the I4 and the M235i will have 300HP in the I6 but it doesn't take a genius to figure out which one has more potential, especially from an I6T that's been around for 3 years now. WTF
        the problem ist, bmw already figured out some years ago that the M Badge sells more than the M philosophy. It will sell because it is an M2 thats it.
        But im waiting for final confirmation, after that i will try to buy the M2 if it has a 6cyl or the M235i if the M2 has just 4 of them.