Close

    • BMS (Burger Tuning) hits new N54 stock turbo Dynojet dyno record with 461 rear wheel horsepower pull

      With all the discussions as of late regarding upgraded turbo options for N54 inline-6 twin turbo based vehicles the stock N54 turbos have not been getting a lot of love. Well, in comes BMS to remind us just how much power the stock turbos can make these days. The N54 has come a long way and BMS was able to squeeze out 461 rear wheel horsepower on a dynojet in STD correction. Also 510 pound-feet of rear wheel torque.


      Mod list for the car is as follows:

      B4 G5 ISO
      BMS back end flash -- "race" file
      BMS downpipes
      CPE intercooler
      CPE chargepipe w/ tial valve
      BMS DCI
      BMS OCC
      Spec clutch w/ steel single mass flywheel
      BMS 2.2g meth kit w/ 80% ethanol / 20% water, CM12 nozzle
      E40 fuel (40% E98, 60% pump 91 octane)
      "Option2" inline booster pump

      At the 20.5 PSI of boost on the turbos necessary to hit these peak figures it is doubtful the turbos would last long. This would likely need to be dialed back for any extended use as the turbos are simply being pushed past their limit. Still, nice to see just how much can be extracted from the N54 stock turbos.

      Nice work by BMS, graphs below.






      This article was originally published in forum thread: New stock turbo dyno record, 4/25/13 started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 82 Comments
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
        what AFR are you targetting midrange and high end?
        Here is the lambda targets from the flash map. Load is around 110 across the board.
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
        Terry, nice numbers. Looks like I need to post my numbers to put out the fire. LOL BTW, what did you eat after Shift S3ctor? Put on a few pounds. :-)~


        (For all those who made the assumption that could be Terry in the dyno picture, well it's not. He's not that good looking. LOL )
        Hey I still have a few gallons of FTWE85 to throw in when someone passes us up. Click here to enlarge

        Photo is Jon @ BMS. We both took sabbaticals from our male underwear modeling careers to start BMS. Click here to enlarge
      1. WedgePerformance's Avatar
        WedgePerformance -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Hey I still have a few gallons of FTWE85 to throw in when someone passes us up. Click here to enlarge

        Photo is Jon @ BMS. We both took sabbaticals from our male underwear modeling careers to start BMS. Click here to enlarge
        haha... FTW baby... I'm afraid to put that stuff back in my car... I still have what I pumped out of my tank on Sunday at SS... Hopefully I'll have all the bugs worked out of my car next week. Already had one dealership kick me out the door and told me never to bring my car back to them because they found a few things. Didn't pull my Alpina flash and they flagged it in diag along with a few other things. Lucky for me the SA was a friend of a friend and they didn't send anything up to BMW. So I'm going on Monday to have my normal dealership replace my injectors and fix anything else they find wrong. Probably should have taken it to them anyway, but it was a dry run to see what they would find. So she's back to 100% stock now and hopefully they don't have any issue doing the certification for turbo replacement. Hopefully my car won't smoke anymore. LOL If not, I'll have to find a dealership that will. Road trip... Click here to enlarge
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Bah, get some bigger turbos on it anyway, and call it a day. Click here to enlarge

        (I'm a bit spooked on the FTW myself... We put some in the N55 and it seemed fine but a day or two later it's misfiring randomly. Coincidence? Not sure... But I won't be running the stuff anymore unless absolutely necessary. e.g. if the car does 11.001 or something)
      1. WedgePerformance's Avatar
        WedgePerformance -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Bah, get some bigger turbos on it anyway, and call it a day. Click here to enlarge

        (I'm a bit spooked on the FTW myself... We put some in the N55 and it seemed fine but a day or two later it's misfiring randomly. Coincidence? Not sure... But I won't be running the stuff anymore unless absolutely necessary. e.g. if the car does 11.001 or something)
        Yeah, I agree. I don't want to dump it. I'll give it to Marv. LOL
      1. Njz's Avatar
        Njz -
        With my upgraded HPFP/Fuel rail and meth Garth and I plan to put up some big numbers this coming week. The ethanol sensor he is putting in should make my numbers repeatable which is what we really want here.
      1. marv85's Avatar
        marv85 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, I agree. I don't want to dump it. I'll give it to Marv. LOL
        lol I'm not putting this crap into my car lol seems to screw up anything it goes into
      1. UsualSuspect's Avatar
        UsualSuspect -
        My car last year....473whp/542wtq on stock turbos
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...85-50-50-REMIX!
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
        My car last year....473whp/542wtq on stock turbos
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...85-50-50-REMIX!
        The numbers sound great, but without dynojet STD numbers, no real way to know how much power it's actually making. Throw it on a dynojet and just maybe you'll take the record! Click here to enlarge
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
        My car last year....473whp/542wtq on stock turbos
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...85-50-50-REMIX!
        What TV show is the clip in your sig from? It always cracks me up whenever I see it
      1. marv85's Avatar
        marv85 -
        @Terry@BMS, looking at your timing, why didn't you go more aggressive in the midrange and up top?

        btw, looking at the BMS chargepipe I saw the meth bung very close to the TB. did you see gains by having that close? as in better than the elbow placement?
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        I can go to the local mustang dyno and prob slaughter this record because their dyno reads retardedly high... It would mean nothing though... Dynojets stay consistant more so than any other dyno but still fluxuate a bunch.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        I can go to the local mustang dyno and prob slaughter this record because their dyno reads retardedly high... It would mean nothing though... Dynojets stay consistant more so than any other dyno but still fluxuate a bunch.
        No digs against BMS, but I personally agree that a stock baseline should be acknowledged (if not included in the dyno sheet) with all of these "Record Breaking HP" dyno graphs. Obviously if someone's churning out 450 WHP on a dyno that baselined at 300 WHP, it's not as impressive as a car that baselined at 270 WHP and spit out 440 WHP. Way too many people forget about the fact that it's all about the gains, especially (like you said) you can easily through the car on a high reading dyno/adjust the scaling and "magically" create the numbers you want.


        **PS -- Area Under the Graph > Peak HP/TQ Numbers
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        No digs against BMS, but I personally agree that a stock baseline should be acknowledged (if not included in the dyno sheet) with all of these "Record Breaking HP" dyno graphs. Obviously if someone's churning out 450 WHP on a dyno that baselined at 300 WHP, it's not as impressive as a car that baselined at 270 WHP and spit out 440 WHP. Way too many people forget about the fact that it's all about the gains, especially (like you said) you can easily through the car on a high reading dyno/adjust the scaling and "magically" create the numbers you want.


        **PS -- Area Under the Graph > Peak HP/TQ Numbers
        BMS always uses specialty Z, with baselines of 270/280 IIRC. Normally I would agree, but we have years of this dyno to compare with
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        BMS always uses specialty Z, with baselines of 270/280 IIRC. Normally I would agree, but we have years of this dyno to compare with
        Fair, that wasn't specific to BMS but just an aftermarket tuner/some1 pursuing an HP record should be providing that data. Just like we expect time slips if someone starts claiming they just smashed the 1/4 mile record / trap speed.
      1. UsualSuspect's Avatar
        UsualSuspect -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
        What TV show is the clip in your sig from? It always cracks me up whenever I see it
        I actually saw it years ago somewhere and don't really remember, sorry.
      1. UsualSuspect's Avatar
        UsualSuspect -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Fair, that wasn't specific to BMS but just an aftermarket tuner/some1 pursuing an HP record should be providing that data. Just like we expect time slips if someone starts claiming they just smashed the 1/4 mile record / trap speed.
        I'm going to go to another dyno just to prove the non-believers! When? Soon, within the next few weeks.
        benzy89, did you see what he said to me above?
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
        I'm going to go to another dyno just to prove the non-believers! When? Soon, within the next few weeks.
        benzy89, did you see what he said to me above?
        you ever go to the track? If you trapped 123-124 than the power you are claiming is believable.
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        you ever go to the track? If you trapped 123-124 than the power you are claiming is believable.
        This +10010110101
      1. UsualSuspect's Avatar
        UsualSuspect -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
        you ever go to the track? If you trapped 123-124 than the power you are claiming is believable.
        Yeah circuits, NHMS & Watkins Glen. Never 1/4 mile, it's not my thing. But anyone who knows my car, knows it's no joke! I don't care to run 1/4 mile really either. If I did, it honestly would be just for folks on the interwebs, but I think they'd find something else not to believe or poke at, ya know?