Close

    • Trouble in paradise? Vishnu/FFtec N54 335ii Single Turbo kits experiencing issues as a BimmerBoost member runs 12.5@121 with misfires and having to short shift

      BimmerBoost would like to thank member GeorgiaTech335Coupe for his openness and honesty regarding his Vishnu/FFTEC single turbo setup. Recently, this member took his single turbo upgraded 6-speed manual 335i to the PBIR (Palm Beach International Raceway) dragstrip in Florida to do some testing. His best run was a 12.50@121.6 alongside a 12.8@117. Yes, these times are quite a ways away from the 10.8@131 glory pass from Vishnu demonstrating the kits capability.


      This is in no way the fault of GeorgiaTech335Coupe who experienced misfires on his car and had to short shift at 6300 rpm in order to avoid them. Now, Vishnu has basically portrayed this kit as perfect and ready for sale with nobody having any issues. The reason BimmerBoost is bringing this issue to the attention of the community is for potential buyers to understand what they are getting into.


      There is absolutely nothing wrong with having issues when modifying a car to this level and BimmerBoost is confident Vishnu will resolve them. There is something wrong with pretending nothing is wrong. A few cars with the single turbo kits have gone up for sale and apparently a total of three people, that are willing to open their mouths, are having misfire issues with these kits.

      These issues will no doubt get resolved but potential buyers and current customers needs to be aware of the process, effort, and that progress is being made. Pretending nothing is wrong and collecting money simply is the wrong way to go about this and once again (it's becoming a trend) BimmerBoost is the only site bringing these issues to the attention of the community.

      For the record, a member by the name of @tmo335tt says he has a hardware solution for the misfires that he will likely share with Vishnu (hopefully not for free). Interesting that it isn't Vishnu but the community solving this.

      Thanks again to @GeorgiaTech335Coupe for sharing his details, good or bad, as we all learn thanks to honesty and openness. There is more to tuning than just collecting money.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Vishnu Single Turbo at PBIR - 12.50@121.6 having to shift all gears at 6300rpm started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 1090 Comments
      1. GetSomeE92's Avatar
        GetSomeE92 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        awesome, so when do we some some customer driven 10 second n54's/ 6.x 60-130's?
        I doubt we'll see a 10 second pass out of a customer car unless it is fully prepped for the 1/4 mile track (slicks, skinnys, suspension, weight reduction, etc.) just as Shiv's was. Trap speed could be interesting, though.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
        I doubt we'll see a 10 second pass out of a customer car unless it is fully prepped for the 1/4 mile track (slicks, skinnys, suspension, weight reduction, etc.) just as Shiv's was. Trap speed could be interesting, though.
        i disagree, with 490rwhp (peak, tapering to about 440 at redline), 2nd gear launch, drag radials, and yes seats out, i and now others have been right on the cusp. add 200hp and there's no reason not to with sticky tires
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        i disagree, with 490rwhp (peak, tapering to about 440 at redline), 2nd gear launch, drag radials, and yes seats out, i and now others have been right on the cusp. add 200hp and there's no reason not to with sticky tires
        I think he was referring solely to a MT. I'm envious of the launching abilities of the AT. Saw my friend cut a 1.7 60ft on RFTs. I'd be happy with that on my DRs!
      1. GetSomeE92's Avatar
        GetSomeE92 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        i disagree, with 490rwhp (peak, tapering to about 440 at redline), 2nd gear launch, drag radials, and yes seats out, i and now others have been right on the cusp. add 200hp and there's no reason not to with sticky tires
        Define what it means to be "right on the cusp." 11.1/11.2?

        Also, are these manual transmissions or automatic transmissions? With the ability to pre-load the drivetrain on the autos I could see it being easier to accomplish, but it is my understanding that the autos are still having some issues with the power and can't really hold it. With the manual transmissions, I would say that someone is going to really have to know how to drive if they are on an otherwise stock suspension (even with sticky tires). I haven't driven this car in a manual configuration, but it seems that people seem to have a hard time getting the launch right on this car. With the amount of power the single turbos are capable of, launching hard will likely result in nothing but wheel spin if launched with the RPM at a sufficient level where there is power for a strong launch. Launching too softly will result in a severe bog as the single turbo doesn't make much power below 3,750 rpm from the graphs I have seen.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
        Define what it means to be "right on the cusp." 11.1/11.2?

        Also, are these manual transmissions or automatic transmissions? With the ability to pre-load the drivetrain on the autos I could see it being easier to accomplish, but it is my understanding that the autos are still having some issues with the power and can't really hold it. With the manual transmissions, I would say that someone is going to really have to know how to drive if they are on an otherwise stock suspension (even with sticky tires). I haven't driven this car in a manual configuration, but it seems that people seem to have a hard time getting the launch right on this car. With the amount of power the single turbos are capable of, launching hard will likely result in nothing but wheel spin if launched with the RPM at a sufficient level where there is power for a strong launch. Launching too softly will result in a severe bog as the single turbo doesn't make much power below 3,750 rpm from the graphs I have seen.
        yes, right on the cusp, with 1.7 60's ET is all about traction and 60'. I think most bmw guys rely on the excuse of AT is faster, when in reality, its no different, especially with NLS. is it "easier" maybe, but in every other platform manual is the prefered and really only acceptable transmission. So everytime i hear someone blame bad ET on MT, well, its really the driver.

        You can argue preload, but again, when any other car can do it, it comes down to driver. This is COMPLETELY disregarding the added 200 hp.
        im curious what suspension anyone has specific for drag racing on their cars. as i know, noone does, would it help, sure, is it required? no, i was on eibach springs.

        To claim "too much power" to launch correctly is just absurd. prepped track, sticky tires, low tire psi...hell take a look at any street racing video. guys with MT, DR's and more power lay it down on the street, so its just excuses.
        again, bmw guys think there is some magical mystery in launching their cars..
        600+hp and cant crack 10's and 130+ to me, would be laughable.

        AAAAND.. this is actually lowering my expectations down from 135+mph traps _I_ would expect with 650rwhp in a 3700lb car..
      1. GeorgiaTech335Coupe's Avatar
        GeorgiaTech335Coupe -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        yes, right on the cusp, with 1.7 60's ET is all about traction and 60'. I think most bmw guys rely on the excuse of AT is faster, when in reality, its no different, especially with NLS. is it "easier" maybe, but in every other platform manual is the prefered and really only acceptable transmission. So everytime i hear someone blame bad ET on MT, well, its really the driver.

        You can argue preload, but again, when any other car can do it, it comes down to driver. This is COMPLETELY disregarding the added 200 hp.
        im curious what suspension anyone has specific for drag racing on their cars. as i know, noone does, would it help, sure, is it required? no, i was on eibach springs.

        To claim "too much power" to launch correctly is just absurd. prepped track, sticky tires, low tire psi...hell take a look at any street racing video. guys with MT, DR's and more power lay it down on the street, so its just excuses.
        again, bmw guys think there is some magical mystery in launching their cars..
        600+hp and cant crack 10's and 130+ to me, would be laughable.

        AAAAND.. this is actually lowering my expectations down from 135+mph traps _I_ would expect with 650rwhp in a 3700lb car..
        I'm going to have to disagree. Have you tried launching an MT 335 with a lot of power? It is very difficult. Especially without LSD. And this car loves to wheel hop. I've seen with my own eyes an AT pull a 1.7 60' on RFTs. I've seen a man who said it was his first time at the strip pull a 1.8 60' the very first try in an AT. I've seen dozens of MTs, and I've never seen anyone pull better than a 1.9, other than me (which is very few and far in between). Also, don't discount the final drive. MTs are crossing the finish line barely into 4th gear, ATs are well into 4th gear.

        Also, I'm pretty sure I am not putting down 650whp at the boost I'm running. I'd say more around 600whp. We will know soon enough as I plan on dynoing the car as well.
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Im a AT FBO and i run 2.0 60's.. Life sucks man.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Recipe for 6mt launches:

        1) eliminate wheel hop (rear suspension mods and defiv's hop nuke kit)
        2) SOLID burn out (line lock, and no one dare tell me you dont need one LOL trust me, you DO need one for a nice controlled burnout)
        3) 2-step
        4) DRs or slicks, period, don't even bother running street tires..without the right rubber you wont get great results and you're just killing your drivetrain and wasting your time
        5) launch where the 2-step and your tires allow you to leave without bogging..set 2-step rpm low and work your way up in 2-300rpm increments until the car just squats and takes off without bogging
        6) DR tire pressure down to ~18psi
        7) if using DRs stick with the Hoosier DOT..otherwise run a slick with skinnies in front..
        8) if you have adjustable coils set the rear to full hard damper and front to full soft to allow for proper weight transfer at launch..leaving the rear soft will promote instability with independent rear suspension.
        9) front tires inflated to 50psi (max safe pressure)

        In the end, practice and trust me without ALL these you'll be getting mediocre results in a 6mt as its NOT easy

        Once you get that 60' sorted use NLS!
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
        Im a AT FBO and i run 2.0 60's.. Life sucks man.
        I get 2.1s but on RFTs lol.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
        Recipe for 6mt launches:

        1) eliminate wheel hop (rear suspension mods and defiv's hop nuke kit)
        2) SOLID burn out (line lock, and no one dare tell me you dont need one LOL trust me, you DO need one for a nice controlled burnout)
        3) 2-step
        4) DRs or slicks, period, don't even bother running street tires..without the right rubber you wont get great results and you're just killing your drivetrain and wasting your time
        5) launch where the 2-step and your tires allow you to leave without bogging..set 2-step rpm low and work your way up in 2-300rpm increments until the car just squats and takes off without bogging
        6) DR tire pressure down to ~18psi
        7) if using DRs stick with the Hoosier DOT..otherwise run a slick with skinnies in front..
        8) if you have adjustable coils set the rear to full hard damper and front to full soft to allow for proper weight transfer at launch..leaving the rear soft will promote instability with independent rear suspension.
        9) front tires inflated to 50psi (max safe pressure)

        In the end, practice and trust me without ALL these you'll be getting mediocre results in a 6mt as its NOT easy

        Once you get that 60' sorted use NLS!
        Quoted for future reference. This is just adding to all the items I need to purchase ._.
      1. GetSomeE92's Avatar
        GetSomeE92 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        yes, right on the cusp, with 1.7 60's ET is all about traction and 60'. I think most bmw guys rely on the excuse of AT is faster, when in reality, its no different, especially with NLS. is it "easier" maybe, but in every other platform manual is the prefered and really only acceptable transmission. So everytime i hear someone blame bad ET on MT, well, its really the driver.You can argue preload, but again, when any other car can do it, it comes down to driver. This is COMPLETELY disregarding the added 200 hp.im curious what suspension anyone has specific for drag racing on their cars. as i know, noone does, would it help, sure, is it required? no, i was on eibach springs.To claim "too much power" to launch correctly is just absurd. prepped track, sticky tires, low tire psi...hell take a look at any street racing video. guys with MT, DR's and more power lay it down on the street, so its just excuses. again, bmw guys think there is some magical mystery in launching their cars.. 600+hp and cant crack 10's and 130+ to me, would be laughable. AAAAND.. this is actually lowering my expectations down from 135+mph traps _I_ would expect with 650rwhp in a 3700lb car..
        On any other platform, a manual transmission is typically the way to go for a street car. This is especially so in Mustangs (older models at least) Camaros and the like. However, their auto transmissions were slush boxes. The auto in the BMW shifts pretty quickly for stock and is easy to be consistent with. When cars get faster and more dedicated to a 1/4 mile track, you'll typically see some sort of automatic transmission go into the car to help keep it consistent, and that is going to be paired with a higher stall torque converted to allow the engine to get into the power band before wanting to move forward on you at the line. That option doesn't exist for the 335 as of yet. And I'm not saying "too much power to launch correctly." I'm saying that in the 335i, with a manual transmission, no stock LSD, relatively narrow tires for a 600+ whp street car, stock (or lowered) suspension and a prepped track there is a high chance of wheel hop and the resulting destruction. I just don't think it will be as easy to accomplish in the BMW as it is in an American muscle car. Impossible? No. But it is going to take right driver with the car set up properly. As you said, ET is all about traction and that first 60'. However, I agree that the trap speed should still be a good indication of what the car is capable of and what kind of power it is putting down, even if it is unable to put it down in the beginning of the run to allow for the expected ET.I'm enjoying the discussion. Wish I could talk racing all day.
      1. rader1's Avatar
        rader1 -
        Easy solution: TH400 + Ford 9" + 4 link= WIN Click here to enlarge

        J/K
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        like i said, BMW guys and excuses..
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        lol I pulled a few 1.85 in my 135 manual with no LSD..went 12.0@118 and 12.1@117 that day...

        than went back in a better DA but track prep was $#@! and i was 120mph but only 12.2 and couldn’t do better than a 2.0 60...

        I don’t think a lot of guys have been on a properly prepped track like we can get regularly at atco at our rentals (shoes stick like glue). That’s really all you need coupled with the right tire/driver. I agree that manuals are not inferior.. my red 135 6m whooped every AT tranny e92 car's ass I raced from a roll or dig around my area. Now my buddy Donny’s 6m 135i puts hurtings on every other e92 he runs too AT or MT because he can drive.. I really need to run him in my AT now that its tuned to the balls to see if I take him from a roll despite being the heavier car (and "superior AT) ... but i doubt it. He’s just g5 iso with a competent driver. If he ever went to the track I’m sure he would pull 1.8 60 or better.. He’s been racing his entire life and knows what to do... I do pretty much agree that there is a misconceptionand a lot of inexperienced 6m guys out there...

        Dzennos list was spot on but you really don't need all the things listed, but certainly could use them all.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        @ChuckD05 yes you can pull off 1.8 even 1.6 60' with just sticky tires and good track prep but that's exactly what i was saying that i'm tired of hearing tbh..there's ZERO consistency there and you're always worrying about the launch and 8/10 times you wont launch right and 9/10 you'll wheel hop...also 1.8 60' is bogus..we need 1.5-1.6 60' and consistency there to even start talking abouut serious drag racing imho
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        yes, right on the cusp, with 1.7 60's ET is all about traction and 60'. I think most bmw guys rely on the excuse of AT is faster, when in reality, its no different, especially with NLS. is it "easier" maybe, but in every other platform manual is the prefered and really only acceptable transmission. So everytime i hear someone blame bad ET on MT, well, its really the driver.

        You can argue preload, but again, when any other car can do it, it comes down to driver. This is COMPLETELY disregarding the added 200 hp.
        im curious what suspension anyone has specific for drag racing on their cars. as i know, noone does, would it help, sure, is it required? no, i was on eibach springs.

        To claim "too much power" to launch correctly is just absurd. prepped track, sticky tires, low tire psi...hell take a look at any street racing video. guys with MT, DR's and more power lay it down on the street, so its just excuses.
        again, bmw guys think there is some magical mystery in launching their cars..
        600+hp and cant crack 10's and 130+ to me, would be laughable.

        AAAAND.. this is actually lowering my expectations down from 135+mph traps _I_ would expect with 650rwhp in a 3700lb car..
        What is your best ET on manual 335i? I mean do you speak of experience or is this just a theory?
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        for me...

        12.0 was best in 135i 6m
        11.9 was best 335i AT (heavier too though and just 1 trip within 2 weeks of ownership... will def do WAY better now that flatline and im more used to the car)

        I believe LM went 11.1? at 127 ? but his car was AT too

        so yea... i was quicker in the AT , lol... 1.73 60 foot first pass ever on bald nt05r's....

        but I think in perfect conditions a MT can match... so yea im contradicting myself a bit but its not THAT much harder in the MT... but if i went with a prepped track the day i trapped 120 and matched my 1.85 60 foot i woulld of went 11.8 or so in 6m with FBO which is pretty good for 410 hp... add 180-220 hp 10.9 should be do-able , But dZen is right... our 1.8 even 1.7's are a bit lame , lol...

        1.5's would get us like the old schoolers going 11.9@110
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        If anyone thinks 1.8 60' is good I have nothing else to say Click here to enlarge

        And yes i've had a number of 1.7s too on DRs and i've done 12.0 on street tires all with stock turbos and i've pulled off 122mph traps as well stock turbos..it "can" be done for sure but that's besides the point
      1. ChuckD05's Avatar
        ChuckD05 -
        no , no way i think 1.8 is good.. but unforetunatly for our car its often not accomplished with 6m
      1. Carl Morris's Avatar
        Carl Morris -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
        On any other platform, a manual transmission is typically the way to go for a street car.
        Also on any platform where AWD is available, that is also typically the way to go for a street car.