• MKVI GTI with over 500 wheel horsepower? Yep, HSTuning takes the 2.0 Turbo in the MKVI GTI to 501 whp

    It's nice to see MKVI GTI's making some serious power. There are few however crossing the 500 wheel horsepower threshold. To put this power in context, the car dyno'd below with just a tune was at the 230 wheel mark. That means HSTuning took this motor from 230 to 501 wheel horsepower for a gain of 271 horsepower at the wheels. That is some serious power game coming with some serious turbo boost on the relatively small 2.0 liter four-cylinder.

    It would be nice to get more details and specs on what it took to reach this level as the fueling is no doubt a challenge. Unfortunately there have not been any updates from the tuner or owner for some months and all we really know is that it uses a "big turbo" which does not tell us much. Oh well, the motor is out getting built so this should be putting down even more power soon. Hopefully with some good documentation and a list of the specs to go with it. Dyno is below:




    Image credit to Raven Rotsaert
    This article was originally published in forum thread: MKVI GTI with over 500 wheel horsepower? Yep, HSTuning takes the 2.0 Turbo in the MKVI GTI to 501 whp started by Sticky View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Yep, Skully, aka David@HStuning owns this. Race gas @ 35 PSI. I don't know if this is regular APR stage 3+ race gas file. Other similar setups with racegas only put down about 400whp on a dynojet as seen with the other threads. Still wish I knew more about this, but that's all I can shed for now.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      I don't get why we don't have more details like the turbo used, etc.
    1. George Smooth's Avatar
      George Smooth -
      There are a few GT30 cars local to me that have shown figures like that.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      I don't get why we don't have more details like the turbo used, etc.
      It is a APR stage 3+ kit. The tuning is what i'm guessing is the only difference. GT3071 turbo

      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
      There are a few GT30 cars local to me that have shown figures like that.
      Probably, but not on a GTI though.
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      It is a APR stage 3+ kit. The tuning is what i'm guessing is the only difference. GT3071 turbo



      Probably, but not on a GTI though.
      certainly not on a TSI GTI.
      Patrick_GLI hit 470..if they can figure out a fueling solution these TSI's are going to turn into highway monsters.Click here to enlarge
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
      certainly not on a TSI GTI.
      Patrick_GLI hit 470..if they can figure out a fueling solution these TSI's are going to turn into highway monsters.Click here to enlarge
      Even the FSI! only APR has hit 500 whp with the FSI and that's with the 2871 on race fuel stage 4! All other gt30 are barely in the 400whp club lol.

      Gotta look into RAI motorsports with their kits. I wonder how their new injector testing is going on. I dont even know if Sammy is testing more of those LNF injectors either.

      PS, your sig is priceless.
    1. pattrick02's Avatar
      pattrick02 -
      Dave is running a billet wheel gt3071, on race fuel, and using a manual boost controller set at 35lbs of boost, that's why. Standard APR tune has boost at 24-25 max, which is why there is a huge power increase.

      I'm running same turbo, similar set-up and making 470ish whp, at 26-27 lbs of boost..I'm working on fueling upgrades as we speak, and still on stock head. 500whp should be easily attainable after I'm done, still at same boost levels. No need to raise boost.

      And FSI motors have hit well over 500whp.. USP has built a mk5 gti making over 600whp, and there are various guys on the golf mkv forum making 570-580+ whp..
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pattrick02 Click here to enlarge
      Dave is running a billet wheel gt3071, on race fuel, and using a manual boost controller set at 35lbs of boost, that's why. Standard APR tune has boost at 24-25 max, which is why there is a huge power increase.

      I'm running same turbo, similar set-up and making 470ish whp, at 26-27 lbs of boost..I'm working on fueling upgrades as we speak, and still on stock head. 500whp should be easily attainable after I'm done, still at same boost levels. No need to raise boost.

      And FSI motors have hit well over 500whp.. USP has built a mk5 gti making over 600whp, and there are various guys on the golf mkv forum making 570-580+ whp..
      Thank you for that last bit of information. I didn't think the standard aprstage3+ 100 octane file will max at 35 PSI lol.

      You're at 470whp on 100 octane right? standard stage 3+ file?

      Yes FSI motors have hit well over 500whp. Not on a 3071 though. They're all using 3076 or bigger with custom tuning on ATP turbo kits lol.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pattrick02 Click here to enlarge
      Dave is running a billet wheel gt3071, on race fuel, and using a manual boost controller set at 35lbs of boost, that's why. Standard APR tune has boost at 24-25 max, which is why there is a huge power increase.

      I'm running same turbo, similar set-up and making 470ish whp, at 26-27 lbs of boost..I'm working on fueling upgrades as we speak, and still on stock head. 500whp should be easily attainable after I'm done, still at same boost levels. No need to raise boost.

      And FSI motors have hit well over 500whp.. USP has built a mk5 gti making over 600whp, and there are various guys on the golf mkv forum making 570-580+ whp..
      Well thanks for this, good post and info.

      Sounds like the FSI isn't a bad way to go if one wants to mod for bigger power as the fueling seems to be figured out.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      Well thanks for this, good post and info.

      Sounds like the FSI isn't a bad way to go if one wants to mod for bigger power as the fueling seems to be figured out.
      Yea, to go above 500whp the FSI is the way to go. Hitting 400whp is easier and cheaper on the TSI.
    1. pattrick02's Avatar
      pattrick02 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Thank you for that last bit of information. I didn't think the standard aprstage3+ 100 octane file will max at 35 PSI lol.

      You're at 470whp on 100 octane right? standard stage 3+ file?

      Yes FSI motors have hit well over 500whp. Not on a 3071 though. They're all using 3076 or bigger with custom tuning on ATP turbo kits lol.
      Sure thing buddy. Not at all..standard max psi on APR stage 3+ is 23-24 psi..

      yeah, 470 is on 100..not a standard file though.

      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      Well thanks for this, good post and info.

      Sounds like the FSI isn't a bad way to go if one wants to mod for bigger power as the fueling seems to be figured out.
      no problem. FSI is nice because there are more options available for it, but not for long. Just an FYI for you guys, I've got fueling figured out for the TSI Click here to enlarge my turbo is currently maxxed out, so I can't make any more power..but I did figure out fueling, so that's no longer an issue.
    1. chrisisnapping's Avatar
      chrisisnapping -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pattrick02 Click here to enlarge
      Sure thing buddy. Not at all..standard max psi on APR stage 3+ is 23-24 psi..

      yeah, 470 is on 100..not a standard file though.



      no problem. FSI is nice because there are more options available for it, but not for long. Just an FYI for you guys, I've got fueling figured out for the TSI Click here to enlarge my turbo is currently maxxed out, so I can't make any more power..but I did figure out fueling, so that's no longer an issue.

      whoa whoa whoa, do you have WHP for the max out on the turbo? what are you going to upgrade to next?

      That's awesome you figured out fueling, a lot of people are going to be very happy about that.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Nice find man, that TSI upgrade is going to be huge. Yea the 3071 maxes out around 500whp as he hit. Next up is a GTX35r Click here to enlarge
    1. pattrick02's Avatar
      pattrick02 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
      whoa whoa whoa, do you have WHP for the max out on the turbo? what are you going to upgrade to next?

      That's awesome you figured out fueling, a lot of people are going to be very happy about that.
      right now i am maxed out at 473whp on my gt3071r. Every set-up will vary a little bit.

      Next things are my head, which I've been waiting on forever now. After the head, a custom intake manifold, and then custom t3 exhaust manifold with a bigger turbo. And some other bits and ends that I'm still thinking about..
    1. George Smooth's Avatar
      George Smooth -
      Do the RS4 injectors provide more fuel?
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
      Do the RS4 injectors provide more fuel?
      Yes, but they're only compatible with the FSI engine not the TSI engine in the MK6 GTI.