Close

    • No manual transmission option for next generation F30/F80 M3? DCT ONLY?

      A report back in June stated there would be no manual transmission option on the next generation M5 but that the option would still be there for M3 owners. The head of M Albert Biermann stated, "The M3 needs to have a stick shift. It will always have a stick shift." If the M3 needs to have a stick shift why is Autoweek reporting there will be no manual transmission for the next generation M3?

      This seems like a major change based on nothing more than Autoweek saying so. It should be treated as a rumor. The head of BMW's M Division literally just stated the M3 will still have a stick. People should not take this report seriously until it is confirmed by BMW. If it is confirmed, then it makes us wonder what in the world Biermann was talking about just a couple months ago and also why BMW seems to have filed patent documents for a 7-Speed manual.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: No manual transmission option for next generation F3/F80 M3? DCT ONLY? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 10 Comments
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Doubt this will happen. Getting rid of the Manual would suck very hard. There is still that market who don't wanna jump onto the automated manual wagon.
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        The manual will stay for this model/chassis. I have my fingers crossed for the next M3 variant.
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        It would be sad but to be honest, after living with an E90 M3 6MT for 9 months I can't say I'll miss the manual option too much, M cars always seem to have these notchy, awful shift throws that really take away from the enjoyment of rowing your own gears. Both my brother (who owned the M3) and I preferred shifting on my 135i (and other standard BMWs) and I know if I end up with an F80 M3, it will be my first car with paddle shifters.
        I've driven almost every M car there ever has been and most of them have suffered from this same notchy shifting and you see plenty of magazines complaining about it, too. Notable examples are the E46 M3 and E60 M5, the E39 M5 is the only one I can think of that actually had a smooth shifting action.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Did the car have the clutch delay valve? Even the M models have that crap I heard, at least the 1M does. You can also buy a SSK, and short throw clutch stop to make the shifting experience better.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        It would be sad but to be honest, after living with an E90 M3 6MT for 9 months I can't say I'll miss the manual option too much, M cars always seem to have these notchy, awful shift throws that really take away from the enjoyment of rowing your own gears. Both my brother (who owned the M3) and I preferred shifting on my 135i (and other standard BMWs) and I know if I end up with an F80 M3, it will be my first car with paddle shifters.
        I've driven almost every M car there ever has been and most of them have suffered from this same notchy shifting and you see plenty of magazines complaining about it, too. Notable examples are the E46 M3 and E60 M5, the E39 M5 is the only one I can think of that actually had a smooth shifting action.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        I always thought that was the M series worst part. Never liked the gearbox at All or the clutch Much at all
      1. flipm3's Avatar
        flipm3 -
        Although I do agree that the gearbox is not the best attribute of most M cars, I still really hope this rumor is false.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Autoweek has no idea what they are talking about. Pure Conjecture. It will have a manual, the DCT feels artifical to me and that the manuals days are close to being numbered. The M3 will rock a 7-speed manual an be all the better for it. DCT is great but why offer a manual in the F10 M5, F12 M6 Cabriolet and F13 M6 Coupe for MY2013 Production that started this past June and not offer it in a higher volume with a higher take rate of a manual?

        My client got to be first on the list here for an M3 at my urging last year. He is number one!
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
        Did the car have the clutch delay valve? Even the M models have that crap I heard, at least the 1M does. You can also buy a SSK, and short throw clutch stop to make the shifting experience better.
        No, but the clutch pedal was fine (even better than the clutch pedals in standard cars since you can feel more of what's going on) I'm talking about moving the actual gearstick lever between gears, in almost every M car it feels rough and notchy and just isn't pleasant to use during normal driving. When you really start to get on it and the transmission warms up then it gets pretty good but otherwise it sucks.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        Autoweek has no idea what they are talking about. Pure Conjecture. It will have a manual
        I feel the exact same way. The manual was essentially already confirmed so I have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        I dropped Autoweek long ago when they went from being weekly to biweekly without changing their subscription rate.

        I think with the new car being a turbo, the DCT will have a great advantage since the seamless shift will mitigate, if not eliminate, boost lag/loss in between shifts. It's quite noticeable in my current 335.