Close

  • 2012 Golf R test numbers from Insideline - 14.4@97.2

    The Golf R is definitely a cool little hatch that attempts to fill the void left by the absence of the R32. The car has a 2.0 liter turbocharged inline-4 with a horsepower boost to 256. It also gets all wheel drive and a 6-speed manual. The 3407 pound curb weight is not terrible and the all wheel drive is not a huge weight penalty adding roughly 100 pounds. 14.4@97.2 by Insideline for the manual version is certainly respectable but a DSG would be quicker. We wish VW would offer the trans in the USA with the Golf R already.

    Vehicle: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R

    Odometer: 3,816
    Date: 4/24/2012
    Driver: Mike Monticello
    Price: $34,760 (base price)

    Specifications:
    Drive Type: Front engine, all-wheel drive
    Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
    Engine Type: Turbocharged inline-4
    Displacement (cc/cu-in): 1,984/121
    Redline (rpm): 6,500
    Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 256 @ 6,000
    Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 243 @ 2,400
    Brake Type (front): 13.6-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
    Brake Type (rear): 12.2-inch solid discs with single-piston sliding calipers
    Suspension Type(front): Independent MacPherson struts, coil springs, stabilizer bar
    Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, coil springs, stabilizer bar
    Tire Size (front): 225/40R 18 (92H)
    Tire Size (rear): 225/40R 18 (92H)
    Tire Brand: Pirelli
    Tire Model: P Zero Nero All Season
    Tire Type: Asymmetrical all-season
    As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,407

    Test Results:

    Acceleration
    0-30 (sec): 2.2 (3.1 w/ TC on)
    0-45 (sec): 4.0 (5.2 w/ TC on)
    0-60 (sec): 6.2 (7.8 w/ TC on)
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.0 (7.4 w/ TC on)
    0-75 (sec): 8.7 (10.3 w/ TC on)
    1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 14.4 @ 97.2 (15.5 @ 95.2 w/ TC on)


    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2012 Golf R test numbers from Insideline - 14.4@97.2 started by Sticky View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
      Puerto Rican 335d -
      NOT going to happen in giving the request of the transmission you want
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
      NOT going to happen in giving the request of the transmission you want
      I can dream...

      Why wouldn't they offer it though? Makes no sense.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Trying to make it exclusive for people in america. We're lucky to get this car they stated 2-3 years ago it will never be here.

      Not too impressed with this car though. Very old outdated motor in a brand new car. Reminds me of the n54 going into the 1M.
    1. fundahl's Avatar
      fundahl -
      Would of been sick with the 2.5l turbo 5cylinder. But still a very modifiable car!
    1. b00st's Avatar
      b00st -
      Seems a little underwhelming for the price. Not sure if it's correct or not, but isn't there no way to completely defeat traction control on this car?
    1. fundahl's Avatar
      fundahl -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by b00st Click here to enlarge
      Seems a little underwhelming for the price. Not sure if it's correct or not, but isn't there no way to completely defeat traction control on this car?
      If that is true, there's got to be someone out there that can code it out.
    1. b00st's Avatar
      b00st -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
      If that is true, there's got to be someone out there that can code it out.
      I'm sure someone will defeat it, but I remember watching a Golf R vs. Evo X comparison video not too long ago and the reviewer said the fact that the traction control wouldn't turn off was totally killing the car's performance during the track comparison. Not sure if he was right, or if it's just difficult to turn it all the way off though.
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Cant turn off traction in the states. I'm sure with a tune or vag com you can fully disable it or someshittt.
    1. Remonster's Avatar
      Remonster -
      I first read about this car when I was in the market for a new car and wanted it, but when I found out the US would have to wait so long to get it, I looked elsewhere and ended up with my 135i...now that I'm seeing these performance numbers, I can definitely say I made the right choice.

      Also, I saw a Golf R at the VW dealership selling for $38,000 or so which is more than I paid for my 135i, it's a very sweet car but there is no way I would pay the same for a VW hatch as I would for the sexiest of BMWs.
    1. jspirate's Avatar
      jspirate -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      Not too impressed with this car though. Very old outdated motor in a brand new car. Reminds me of the n54 going into the 1M.
      ^This. Also, the price is terrible.

      The 2.0TSI has a long history of being easily modified and for some decent numbers also. So, VW goes with the craptastic engine instead. It boggles my mind that VW did this.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      The tsi is this much better than the fsi?
    1. fastgti69's Avatar
      fastgti69 -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
      I first read about this car when I was in the market for a new car and wanted it, but when I found out the US would have to wait so long to get it, I looked elsewhere and ended up with my 135i...now that I'm seeing these performance numbers, I can definitely say I made the right choice.

      Also, I saw a Golf R at the VW dealership selling for $38,000 or so which is more than I paid for my 135i, it's a very sweet car but there is no way I would pay the same for a VW hatch as I would for the sexiest of BMWs.
      Exactly, price is too high for what you don't get.

      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
      ^This. Also, the price is terrible.

      The 2.0TSI has a long history of being easily modified and for some decent numbers also. So, VW goes with the craptastic engine instead. It boggles my mind that VW did this.
      Pretty much, it saves them lots and lots of money. LOTS.

      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
      The tsi is this much better than the fsi?
      $#@! yes. Don't make me pull out that tech sheet again why the TSI is better than FSI.
    1. DBFIU's Avatar
      DBFIU -
      14.4 at 97 for 34 grand is kind of a bummer though
    1. jspirate's Avatar
      jspirate -
      I like the tunability of the TSI. You can get a little more out of it...
    1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
      Puerto Rican 335d -
      guys guys remeber we are the AMERICAN market which outsells most of the other markets and YET they withhold the goodies for those other guys, HELLO smell the Roses cause they have spines on them. As long as the aholes above us at CONGRESS and the GURUs from BMW VWoA and so on believe we cannot have these cookies we will NEVER see them on our shores, so stop beating on dead horse and lets all write to these Fs and tell them what we want!!!!
    1. DBFIU's Avatar
      DBFIU -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
      guys guys remeber we are the AMERICAN market which outsells most of the other markets and YET they withhold the goodies for those other guys, HELLO smell the Roses cause they have spines on them. As long as the aholes above us at CONGRESS and the GURUs from BMW VWoA and so on believe we cannot have these cookies we will NEVER see them on our shores, so stop beating on dead horse and lets all write to these Fs and tell them what we want!!!!
      I want a cocaine dispenser in my car but I'm not sure they would incorporate that for me.
    1. Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
      Puerto Rican 335d -
      LOL @DFIU Click here to enlarge
    1. SSO95's Avatar
      SSO95 -
      It's funny how people were complaining how the MK5 R32 didn't come with an MT, and now its the opposite.
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
      $#@! yes. Don't make me pull out that tech sheet again why the TSI is better than FSI.
      I wanted you to put that in its own thread...
    1. Sticky's Avatar
      Sticky -
      Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwtek Click here to enlarge
      It's funny how people were complaining how the MK5 R32 didn't come with an MT, and now its the opposite.
      Good point. We really should just have the option.