Close

    • Mercedes AMG twin turbo V12 changes - How the new M279 Twin Turbo V12 differs from the previous M275

      You should all know by now that Mercedes is bringing back the twin turbo V12 with the new R231 SL65 AMG. We originally thought this was just the same old M275 V12 that had seen duty in the previous generation 600 and 65 AMG's but the motor has received some updates along with a new M279 engine designation. The 6.0 liter V12 to reach its new 630 horsepower rating received far more than just different ECU software.


      A multi-spark ignition with twelve double ignition coils is used that Mercedes states provides for a smoother motor and more effective combustion. This also is used in conjunction with a new engine management system.

      The cylinder heads were also revised in order to flow better for more power. The turbos have been changed featuring new wheels and are mated to new manifolds. The wastegate ducts have also been revised.

      Additionally, the exhaust system underwent some significant changes. The catalytic converter system was optimized both for emissions and power. The wall thickness of the exhaust was reduced and the system is now 7 pounds lighter than the previous generation.

      Other parts such as the intercooler, throttle body, and airbox remain the same. The M279 is a nice update to what already was a stout powerplant.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Mercedes AMG twin turbo V12 changes - How the new M279 Twin Turbo V12 differs from the previous M275 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 150 Comments
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, he's supporting his argument with facts. It seems you were incorrect.
        They are not facts. Well see what happens
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        They are not facts. Well see what happens
        When multiple sources all report the same thing its the closest thing to fact as you can get before the car is released. But what do you care ? You backed out of the bet.
      1. Jacob502's Avatar
        Jacob502 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        When multiple sources all report the same thing its the closest thing to fact as you can get before the car is released. But what do you care ? You backed out of the bet.
        Thats right. I don't.
      1. Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
        Benz-O-Rama -
        The Ban Hammer came down on Jacob? Damn....

        Oh wait, MBWorld too? Yikes.... dude is having a bad month.

        I don't feel like digging... What was the reason here? Was it because he lost the bet? That ended up being the stakes, right? Once we knew the money thing wasn't going to happen.....

        What was the reason for MBWorld?
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama Click here to enlarge
        The Ban Hammer came down on Jacob? Damn....

        Oh wait, MBWorld too? Yikes.... dude is having a bad month.

        I don't feel like digging... What was the reason here? Was it because he lost the bet? That ended up being the stakes, right? Once we knew the money thing wasn't going to happen.....

        What was the reason for MBWorld?
        MBW was allegedly for sending rude and offensive PMs.

        Here, he isn't banned, I don't think - just suspended for two weeks. It was for repeatedly attempting to login to LZH's account (Sticky caught it via IP, and Jacob502 didn't deny it).
      1. Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
        Benz-O-Rama -
        LOL...Thanks.

        The PMs are one thing....unless they were threatening, or just non-stop and completely over the top. But trying to hack an account? Yikes....not good, and only 2 weeks? Pretty lenient, that's perma-ban material, normally.

        Well, if nothing else, it'll probably settle him down a bit. Thanks for the update.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama Click here to enlarge
        LOL...Thanks.

        The PMs are one thing....unless they were threatening, or just non-stop and completely over the top. But trying to hack an account? Yikes....not good, and only 2 weeks? Pretty lenient, that's perma-ban material, normally.

        Well, if nothing else, it'll probably settle him down a bit. Thanks for the update.
        Here: http://www.benzboost.com/showthread....ighlight=jacob
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        MBW was allegedly for sending rude and offensive PMs.

        Here, he isn't banned, I don't think - just suspended for two weeks. It was for repeatedly attempting to login to LZH's account (Sticky caught it via IP, and Jacob502 didn't deny it).
        That message you are talking about which was sent to member "Guilty" was fabricated. If you look at the pic the words were not censored. How is that possible?
      1. c32AMG-DTM's Avatar
        c32AMG-DTM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        That message you are talking about which was sent to member "Guilty" was fabricated. If you look at the pic the words were not censored. How is that possible?
        Well, if it was fabricated as you allege, Jacob502 should have no trouble appealing and overturning the MBW ban.

        I'm not a mod or admin at MBW, and the PM wasn't sent from or to me, so I can't state with certainty that Jacob502 definitely sent it.

        However, I will say, it sure sounds exactly like one he would send. Did you read the PMs he sent to LZH? Additionally, when Jacob502 posted to Sticky that he'd fly him halfway around the world for 3,000 rep points, I jokingly posted "do you guys smell something? It smells like desperation." or something pretty close to that. Jacob502 didn't say anything in the thread... instead, he sent me this PM:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
        No it smells your mother's $#@!. Douchebag, what do you have against me?
        or what did I ever do to you?
        I didn't bother to reply... it would be fruitless. But, does that seem like a reasonable response to a joking post about someone being desperate for rep points?

        EDIT: SLS AMG - I just figured something out. When I received the PM from Jacob502 here - foul language isn't censored... the last word in the first sentence starts with a "c" and ends with a "t" - I'm sure you can figure it out. When I cut and pasted it into a post for the public forum, the vbulletin software automatically censored it. So, if MBW's software works the same, the screenshot of the PM with the words not censored, could easily be possible if public posts are censored but PMs aren't (just like here).
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
        Well, if it was fabricated as you allege, Jacob502 should have no trouble appealing and overturning the MBW ban.

        I'm not a mod or admin at MBW, and the PM wasn't sent from or to me, so I can't state with certainty that Jacob502 definitely sent it.

        However, I will say, it sure sounds exactly like one he would send. Did you read the PMs he sent to LZH? Additionally, when Jacob502 posted to Sticky that he'd fly him halfway around the world for 3,000 rep points, I jokingly posted "do you guys smell something? It smells like desperation." or something pretty close to that. Jacob502 didn't say anything in the thread... instead, he sent me this PM:



        I didn't bother to reply... it would be fruitless. But, does that seem like a reasonable response to a joking post about someone being desperate for rep points?

        EDIT: SLS AMG - I just figured something out. When I received the PM from Jacob502 here - foul language isn't censored... the last word in the first sentence starts with a "c" and ends with a "t" - I'm sure you can figure it out. When I cut and pasted it into a post for the public forum, the vbulletin software automatically censored it. So, if MBW's software works the same, the screenshot of the PM with the words not censored, could easily be possible if public posts are censored but PMs aren't (just like here).

        On MBWorld even words do get censored in private messages