Close

    • M version of the E89 Z4 still under consideration by BMW - Head of M products states there was no business case earlier

      We aren't sure what there is to debate really, do it already. Albert Biermann (Head of M product development) told Insideline the following on the Z4 M, "There are days when it hurts not to have one, but there was no compelling business case at the time when the decision was taken." Uh, but there was a business case for the X5 M? The X6 M? The 550 GT? The X6 hybrid that was already canned? Yet the platform that has the potential to be the best drivers car in the BMW lineup that BMW Motorsport has already been racing doesn't make sense? Are you serious Biermann?

      Insideline actually gets this right when they state, "The absence of a Z4M is made more surprising by BMW's decision to develop a customer racecar based on the roadster." BMW is already racing an M version of the Z4. They produced an M version with the previous generation. They produced an M version with the Z3 that preceded it. Do M SUV's really make more sense than a dedicated sports car? For the BMW M division? The world has flipped upside down.

      If the folding hardtop were to be ditched to make a new M coupe not only would the car be significantly lighter than it is, we would have a modern BMW sports car offering far greater agility and rigidity than the Z8 could have ever dreamed of even at a much higher price point. This is the car BMW should already be making. The fact it is still being debated internally shows how far BMW M has gotten from their principles. Throw the 550 GT off a cliff (nobody will miss it) and bring us something like what is pictured below. Just give it a real M motor (4.4 liter S65 from the M3 GTS would be what the real M we used to know would do) and your first customer is right here.






      This article was originally published in forum thread: M version of the E89 Z4 still under consideration by BMW - Head of M products states there was no business case earlier started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 26 Comments
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Yes, his excuse makes no sense. Maybe he is trying to hide something.

        If it does come, lets hope is has the S65 in it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        If it does come, lets hope is has the S65 in it.
        It should, but it won't.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Yes, his excuse makes no sense. Maybe he is trying to hide something.

        If it does come, lets hope is has the S65 in it.
        I hope you are right! He stated past tense! There may have been a time when the board of directors said "Nien" to an M Roadster. If you recall 2 years ago when the E90, E92 and E93 "is' models came out, BM AG said it was a bridge to M cars as their horsepower was much more than the standard car and there would be no M Roadster. They have said there would be no M Roadster twice, and we all know there was the E36/7 M roadster, E36/7 M Roadster, E36/8 M Coupe, E85 M Roadster and E86 M Coupe. I think the car comes out post E89 LCI. We all know they have already done the preliminary work on the E89 Z4 race car pictured above with a trick S65 in the engine bay, which to me means they will build the M Roadster with the S65 V8 stuffed under the long hood.

        They could offer one car with three factory car options:

        Option 1: M Roadster for street use
        Option 2: M Roadster w/fixed Top Hardtop (non-retracting hardtop which would be a coupe) from the factory
        Option 3: M Roadster w/Race Package same as above but a stripped down E89 Z4 for track use (will never happen but damn cool idea)

        Last week I contacted my local BMW parts department about the availability of the E92 M3 GTS S65 engine. the good new is it is now available to purchase with a part #! The bad news....... my cost is $32,855 just for the engine. Bimmer Magazine in it's review of the E92 M3 GTS, it's engine is one of the best engines ever made. After a lot of thought I got the idea of the S65 engine conversion in an E89. I have been thinking a lot of doing an E89 conversion, but I would hate do it and then they make one. Or I could be crazy.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        The bad news....... my cost is $32,855 just for the engine.
        I won't even say what an LS3 costs as it will just make us all cry.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        Option 1: M Roadster for street use
        Option 2: M Roadster w/fixed Top Hardtop (non-retracting hardtop which would be a coupe) from the factory
        Option 3: M Roadster w/Race Package same as above but a stripped down E89 Z4 for track use (will never happen but damn cool idea)
        My bet is this, we'll get a tweaked version of a twin turbo 6 cylinder motor, some more aggressive bodywork, better brakes/suspension, and they will call it a day keeping the folding hardtop.

        What it SHOULD be though is a coupe with a fixed carbon fiber roof, 4.4 liter S65, DCT and manual options, and look like the racecar. Basically, an aggressive M on par with a black series for once.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What it SHOULD be though is a coupe with a fixed carbon fiber roof, 4.4 liter S65, DCT and manual options, and look like the racecar. Basically, an aggressive M on par with a black series for once.
        That would be nice, if you want to pay $150,000+ for a Z4.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        That would be nice, if you want to pay $150,000+ for a Z4.
        Ok, so a 4.0 liter S65, the DCT they already have sitting around, and a fixed roof. Why can't this be $80k?
      1. dOpEdUpM3's Avatar
        dOpEdUpM3 -
        ^I would wait in line for one of those.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        My bet is this, we'll get a tweaked version of a twin turbo 6 cylinder motor, some more aggressive bodywork, better brakes/suspension, and they will call it a day keeping the folding hardtop.

        What it SHOULD be though is a coupe with a fixed carbon fiber roof, 4.4 liter S65, DCT and manual options, and look like the racecar. Basically, an aggressive M on par with a black series for once.
        Hey Sticky, they already gave us that and called it a Z4 sDrive35is. I don't want that because it as no manual transmission and no V8. The DCT is cool and all but I like a front engine, two seater with rear wheel drive and a manual. And one that looks as good as the E89 Z4 should have fender flares, a front valance that scares children, reverse blistered hood, tricked suspension, cool seats with alcantara, factory staggered wheels so gorgeous that aftermarket rims would look stupid on it, an illuminated shift knob, that trick new updated steering wheel from BMW Accessories and a manual transmission that snicks though the gate with the precision of a rifle bolt action, all while taking power from the GTS M3 S65 V8 with 450-hp with the engine note that on drive-by makes grown men wet their pants and forget what they were saying. Hell I will even take the "regular" M3 engine with 414-hp and then "tweak" that bad boy. I would sell drugs to get this. If this car was $79,990 or even $89,990 I would pay cash for it and be happy to do so. I would so rock this ride. Let's go, damn!!!!!!!

        This steering wheel...


        Click here to enlarge


        and this shift knob, and yes I know what gear I am in but this with the steering wheel is beyond cool!!!!

        Click here to enlarge
      1. black bnr32's Avatar
        black bnr32 -
        ahhh, the ultimate irony: A 'Mortorsport' divsion that sells cars that don't race, and races cars they don't sell.
      1. Scorpion's Avatar
        Scorpion -
        Insane looking car.
      1. flipm3's Avatar
        flipm3 -
        THe Z4 GT3 is handsdown my favorite looking car currently competing in Motorsport...and WINNING!!!I would love to see an E89 Z4 with an S65B40 and fixed hardtop....hmm, sounds like a fun project, haha. Maybe I'll scrap my dreams of throwing an S85B50 in an E46 m3 and do this swap!! Click here to enlarge
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        I don't know where you live, Sticky, but it seems to me the X5 and X6 Ms are literally flying off the lots around here. I see at least 2-3 a week, on the other hand I've only seen a handful of Z3 M or Z4 Ms in my entire life. Also, I spoke to a few owners of the X M cars and they couldn't be happier with them, never driven one myself though.I'm with you, I wish they'd build it. The car that ignited my passion for BMWs was my neighbor's Z3 M coupe when I was a kid, I thought it looked and sounded so cool and then my friend's dad gave me a ride in his Dinan modded E34 M5 and I was hooked. A Z4 M based on a hardtop version of the E89 would be amazing, I don't even care what engine they stick in it, but I can definitely believe the lack of a business case for such a model.Let's hope they find a way to make one in the near future.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
        THe Z4 GT3 is handsdown my favorite looking car currently competing in Motorsport...and WINNING!!!I would love to see an E89 Z4 with an S65B40 and fixed hardtop....hmm, sounds like a fun project, haha. Maybe I'll scrap my dreams of throwing an S85B50 in an E46 m3 and do this swap!! Click here to enlarge
        Already thought about stuffing the S85 in the E89 Z4. That is crazy too but that falls under the " something wicked this way comes" category. That is crazy as well. I really want to do a crazy Z4.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What it SHOULD be though is a coupe with a fixed carbon fiber roof, 4.4 liter S65, DCT and manual options, and look like the racecar. Basically, an aggressive M on par with a black series for once.
        I would be really happy with a fixed roof, manual transmission, and the 4.0L S65.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I don't know where you live, Sticky, but it seems to me the X5 and X6 Ms are literally flying off the lots around here. I see at least 2-3 a week, on the other hand I've only seen a handful of Z3 M or Z4 Ms in my entire life.
        He lives in SoCal, probably has the largest number of X5M and X5M of any state. They are not as prevalent as you make it out to be.

        I would really like to see the US sales numbers on the X5M/X6M since its launch. It is definitely a niche vehicle, as is the Z4M
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
        ahhh, the ultimate irony: A 'Mortorsport' divsion that sells cars that don't race, and races cars they don't sell.
        Truth spoken.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I would be really happy with a fixed roof, manual transmission, and the 4.0L S65.
        Same here, manual option is a must. As is a DCT option IMO...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        I don't know where you live, Sticky, but it seems to me the X5 and X6 Ms are literally flying off the lots around here. I see at least 2-3 a week, on the other hand I've only seen a handful of Z3 M or Z4 Ms in my entire life. Also, I spoke to a few owners of the X M cars and they couldn't be happier with them, never driven one myself though.I'm with you, I wish they'd build it. The car that ignited my passion for BMWs was my neighbor's Z3 M coupe when I was a kid, I thought it looked and sounded so cool and then my friend's dad gave me a ride in his Dinan modded E34 M5 and I was hooked. A Z4 M based on a hardtop version of the E89 would be amazing, I don't even care what engine they stick in it, but I can definitely believe the lack of a business case for such a model.Let's hope they find a way to make one in the near future.
        Yes, the X5 M and X6 M are selling. Good for BMW, what about a damn real M car though?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        Hey Sticky, they already gave us that and called it a Z4 sDrive35is. I don't want that because it as no manual transmission and no V8. The DCT is cool and all but I like a front engine, two seater with rear wheel drive and a manual. And one that looks as good as the E89 Z4 should have fender flares, a front valance that scares children, reverse blistered hood, tricked suspension, cool seats with alcantara, factory staggered wheels so gorgeous that aftermarket rims would look stupid on it, an illuminated shift knob, that trick new updated steering wheel from BMW Accessories and a manual transmission that snicks though the gate with the precision of a rifle bolt action, all while taking power from the GTS M3 S65 V8 with 450-hp with the engine note that on drive-by makes grown men wet their pants and forget what they were saying. Hell I will even take the "regular" M3 engine with 414-hp and then "tweak" that bad boy. I would sell drugs to get this. If this car was $79,990 or even $89,990 I would pay cash for it and be happy to do so. I would so rock this ride. Let's go, damn!!!!!!!

        This steering wheel...


        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...13127386-1.jpg


        and this shift knob, and yes I know what gear I am in but this with the steering wheel is beyond cool!!!!

        Same argument can be made that they already sold a 1M, just needed to add an LSD.

        I'm saying manual and DCT should both be options, like the E92 M3.

        I just don't believe if they do it they will give an S65. The old BMW M would have already made it and already put that motor in there...