Close

    • Class action suit against Daimler AG / Mercedes due to M156 V8 (63 AMG) engine defects

      A class action suit is being brought against Mercedes / Daimler AG due to alleged defects in the M156 V8 motor. The suit states that these defects are due to premature wear. The premature wear taking place as a result of the material used in the camshafts. The camshafts used are made of cast nodular iron. The valve lifters used however are made of 9310 grade steel. In the official complaint it is stated that the combination of these metals as designed is contributing to premature wear of the M156 motors. This can be due to improper heat treating of the metals or improper offset. The main sticking point is that Mercedes and AMG have known about this since 2007 when service bulletin S-B 05.20/20b was released. We will keep you updated on the details as this goes forward.




































      This article was originally published in forum thread: Class action suit against Daimler AG / Mercedes due to M156 V8 (63 AMG) engine defects started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 842 Comments
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Shouldn't you be focusing more on Daimler addressing any potential motor issues? Or do we live in a world where we need to pay more attention to the army of lawyers they can afford instead of taking accountability for manufacturing and engineering?
        +1.

        The latter apparently. Kudos to those who endeavor in trying to change that.
      1. _AMG_'s Avatar
        _AMG_ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        Have you opened their engines and looked at the parts for premature wear? Your focus is completely misplaced.
        Not arguing with you one bit.
        Just spoke with my buddy who is a AMG master certified tech and he has worked on the M156 with this specific problem.
        He said they do go bad and score the lifters, BUT these were the first year these engines came out back in 07-08. He also said AMG has worked out the problem in the later year engines. I have a 2010 C63 so no worried, even if they do go bad there is always warranty.
        The thing I dont understand is how come this guy didn't warranty the cams and lifters?
        BTW what year was is AMG?
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because people don't want to believe something might be wrong with their motors.
        I've owned 2 N54s. I had no issue with believing there was a problem. Still today though, some owners still refuse to disbelieve. As long as BMW makes it right....Same for Mercedes with this one. It's hard to find a car that doesn't have some sort of defect. The issue isn't the defect, but whether the manufacturer makes it right.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by _AMG_ Click here to enlarge
        Not arguing with you one bit.
        Just spoke with my buddy who is a AMG master certified tech and he has worked on the M156 with this specific problem.
        He said they do go bad and score the lifters, BUT these were the First year these engines came out back in 07-08. He also said AMG has worked out the problem in the later year engines. I have a 2010 C63 so no worried, even if they do go bad there is always warranty.
        The thing I dont understand is how come this guy didn't warranty the cams and lifters?
        What if I told you I have seen a post with an 09 on mbw? There's always warranty....til 50K miles. You wouldn't want a lifter to get stuck from being worn and destroy the block out of warranty. The block is 27K and that's without labor. Now do you see what the big deal is? I wouldn't want you or anyone else to have to incur that kind of expense. That's insane.

        That happened to a guy on mbw, but it wasn't out of warranty. They replaced his block after denying at first.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't have any links but let me just say this is not the first I heard of this lawsuit.
        Its not that I don't believe there is a problem, it just seems like it came out of nowhere. There is usually a big up roar on the forums, then you see a class action lawsuit.

        I mean I have heard of mulitple M3 S65 engines failures, but no lawsuits.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Its not that I don't believe there is a problem, it just seems like it came out of now where. There is usually a big up roar on the forums, then you see a class action lawsuit.

        I mean I have heard of mulitple M3 S65 engines failures, but no lawsuits.
        There wasn't a huge uproar about the E46 subframe issues, but there was a class action suit about that and it settled. Most owners were completely clueless.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Its not that I don't believe there is a problem, it just seems like it came out of nowhere. There is usually a big up roar on the forums, then you see a class action lawsuit.

        I mean I have heard of mulitple M3 S65 engines failures, but no lawsuits.
        The M3 failures are a little different and BMW changed the valve springs and whatever other parts in subsequent models. There was a set of bearings replaced as well I believe.

        This was not out of nowhere, I knew about it a while back.
      1. _AMG_'s Avatar
        _AMG_ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        What if I told you I have seen a post with an 09 on mbw? There's always warranty....til 50K miles. You wouldn't want a lifter to get stuck from being worn and destroy the block out of warranty. The block is 27K and that's without labor. Now do you see what the big deal is? I wouldn't want you or anyone else to have to incur that kind of expense. That's insane.

        That happened to a guy on mbw, but it wasn't out of warranty. They replaced his block after denying at first.
        I know what you mean, thanks for looking out.
        Wouldn't want me or any other AMG owner experiencing this.

        Would you happen to have a link to that thread? I would be very interested in reading it.
      1. _AMG_'s Avatar
        _AMG_ -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The M3 failures are a little different and BMW changed the valve springs and whatever other parts in subsequent models. There was a set of bearings replaced as well I believe.

        This was not out of nowhere, I knew about it a while back.
        Haven't heard about the valve spring issue, but have heard of rod bearing failures not only on the F/I engines but bone stock as well.
        Hope BMW took care of the problem.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by _AMG_ Click here to enlarge
        I know what you mean, thanks for looking out.
        Wouldn't want me or any other AMG owner experiencing this.

        Would you happen to have a link to that thread? I would be very interested in reading it.
        Not on hand, but I've seen them. One dude posted a youtube link to video of his engine bay and you can hear the lifters knocking loud. There was a lot of speculation on what the problem with the noise actually was, but I think it's figured out now.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by _AMG_ Click here to enlarge
        Haven't heard about the valve spring issue, but have heard of rod bearing failures not only on the F/I engines but bone stock as well.
        Hope BMW took care of the problem.
        BMW did take care of it but do not remember if they issued a recall.

        The valve spring issue was one I experienced personally.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        BMW did take care of it but do not remember if they issued a recall.

        The valve spring issue was one I experienced personally.
        Just like they did with the HPFP....after sweeping that under the rug for over 3 years. It took a class action lawsuit and ABC News running a story for them to issue a recall on that. $#@!ing car manufacturers are the worst when it comes to consumer remedies.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I mean I have heard of mulitple M3 S65 engines failures, but no lawsuits.
        Probably because warranty was honored. That's the whole point about this lawsuit, warranty wasn't honored, plaintiff had to come out of pocket, and to make things worse, he lost money when he traded the car in because the car had engine problems. Click here to enlarge
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        It is only logical to assume the guy had some modifications, seeing that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was stated in the lawsuit. Hopefully it will help him recover some of his losses.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        It is only logical to assume the guy had some modifications, see that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was stated in the lawsuit. Hopefully it will help him recover some of his losses.
        Yes, that is a logical conclusion. Wish this guy was on here.
      1. Sonny's Avatar
        Sonny -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Hey, the Mag-Moss act is why I didn't have to pay for the entirety of my repair work on my M3.
        Nice.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
        Probably because warranty was honored. That's the whole point about this lawsuit, warranty wasn't honored, plaintiff had to come out of pocket, and to make things worse, he lost money when he traded the car in because the car had engine problems. Click here to enlarge
        You're assuming warranty was denied. He could have been out of warranty. It didn't specify. Probably because it doesn't matter.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        It is only logical to assume the guy had some modifications, seeing that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was stated in the lawsuit. Hopefully it will help him recover some of his losses.
        Magnuson-Moss isn't just about modifications. That's just one small provision in the entire statute. It concerns breach of warranty on all consumer products. Every auto class action I have seen has it in there. I'm guessing they all use it, because of the consumer protection available. It was created for that purpose.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        You're assuming warranty was denied. He could have been out of warranty. It didn't specify. Probably because it doesn't matter.
        It says in the beginning of the suit "The Mercedes-Benz in question was accompanied by Mercedes-Benz's New Vehicle Warranty..."
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        It says in the beginning of the suit "The Mercedes-Benz in question was accompanied by Mercedes-Benz's New Vehicle Warranty..."
        I think that just means the car had a Mercedes warranty at time of purchase.