Close

    • Class action suit against Daimler AG / Mercedes due to M156 V8 (63 AMG) engine defects

      A class action suit is being brought against Mercedes / Daimler AG due to alleged defects in the M156 V8 motor. The suit states that these defects are due to premature wear. The premature wear taking place as a result of the material used in the camshafts. The camshafts used are made of cast nodular iron. The valve lifters used however are made of 9310 grade steel. In the official complaint it is stated that the combination of these metals as designed is contributing to premature wear of the M156 motors. This can be due to improper heat treating of the metals or improper offset. The main sticking point is that Mercedes and AMG have known about this since 2007 when service bulletin S-B 05.20/20b was released. We will keep you updated on the details as this goes forward.




































      This article was originally published in forum thread: Class action suit against Daimler AG / Mercedes due to M156 V8 (63 AMG) engine defects started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 842 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        There has to be a reason Benz would not cover his repairs under warranty.
        To save themselves money.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        To save themselves money.
        I was talking about a reason/explanation to the car owner why he had to pay out of pocket.

        Doesn't matter what brand it is, they can't just not cover the car for no reason.

        I am willing to bet money, he either had some engine modifications or was not taking his car in for regular service.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I was talking about a reason/explanation to the car owner why he had to pay out of pocket.

        Doesn't matter what brand it is, they can't just not cover the car for no reason.

        I am willing to bet money, he either had some engine modifications or was not taking his car in for regular service.
        You may be right but just because you get service somewhere else does not mean you should be denied.

        I have no clue what the explanation would be to that particular owner. We would need to hear from them directly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        Not just one law firm. It appears to be 3 of them. One is probably just local counsel in New Jersey since the other 2 are out of state. It's probably not a coincidence, but the other 2 are the same firms and attorneys that sued BMW for the HPFP defect in the N54.
        And we all know the N54 has no defects.

        So 3 firms... that does not mean somebody was just bored.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You may be right but just because you get service somewhere else does not mean you should be denied.

        I have no clue what the explanation would be to that particular owner. We would need to hear from them directly.
        It is up to the owner to record or keep receipts for all maintenance not done at a dealer. They can't just take some random guys word, that the car has been getting maintenance at joe schom's shop down the street.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        It is up to the owner to record or keep receipts for all maintenance not done at a dealer. They can't just take some random guys word, that the car has been getting maintenance at joe schom's shop down the street.
        Great, so even greater burden on an individual who has a warranty because the dealer wants to save themselves a buck at their expense. Yet they are soooo nice when you are about to sign those papers.

        I'm not going to sit there and record every time my car gets an oil change. The oil is just a scapegoat anyway, you can see it.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        And we all know the N54 has no defects.

        So 3 firms... that does not mean somebody was just bored.
        The N54 HPFP is a widespread problem. The forums are full of HPFP failures, multiple failures on the same cars.

        Even the M3 S65 has had some engine failures as of late. It has a much smaller production run than the 63 AMG cars.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I was talking about a reason/explanation to the car owner why he had to pay out of pocket.

        Doesn't matter what brand it is, they can't just not cover the car for no reason.

        I am willing to bet money, he either had some engine modifications or was not taking his car in for regular service.
        It's nothing unusual for Mercedes or any other manufacturer to deny warranty and blame something else, but that doesn't make it legal. Also, if you read that law suit, it wouldn't matter if the car went in for repairs during or after warranty. It says the parts are defective during the warranty period and should be replaced under warranty. Period.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Great, so even greater burden on an individual who has a warranty because the dealer wants to save themselves a buck at their expense. Yet they are soooo nice when you are about to sign those papers.

        I'm not going to sit there and record every time my car gets an oil change. The oil is just a scapegoat anyway, you can see it.
        It is same way with BMW new car warranties. Just more people are willing to take in their car to BMW because maintenance is free. I am sure some Benz owners skip some maintenance, not wanting to pay for it.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        It is up to the owner to record or keep receipts for all maintenance not done at a dealer. They can't just take some random guys word, that the car has been getting maintenance at joe schom's shop down the street.
        How many people driving 90K cars take them to some Haitian Station for maintenance? Come on, bro. Use your head.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        There were 150,000 N54s in a few years and the HPFP wasn't a premature wear issue. How many CL63, S63, and SL63's are out there over 50K miles? Probably not many.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        It's nothing unusual for Mercedes or any other manufacturer to deny warranty and blame something else, but that doesn't make it legal. Also, if you read that law suit, it wouldn't matter if the car went in for repairs during or after warranty. It says the parts are defective during the warranty period and should be replaced under warranty. Period.
        I understand, I have seen plenty of 335i owners get denied warranty repairs or even have their warranties revoked all together. But they are usually taking their cars in with mods on them and get flagged.

        I just want to know what reason they gave Mr. Chan for paying out of pocket. But, most likely will never know.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
        How many people driving 90K cars take them to some Haitian Station for maintenance? Come on, bro. Use your head.
        Not saying they are? Just addressing a statement made earlier in the thread.

        A lot of owners are f*cking retarded, they either don't care or are too lazy to take their car in for service.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        I understand, I have seen plenty of 335i owners get denied warranty repairs or even have their warranties revoked all together. But they are usually taking their cars in with mods on them and get flagged.

        I just want to know what reason they gave Mr. Chan for paying out of pocket. But, most likely will never know.
        Maybe he took the car in with 50,001 miles on the clock?
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Not saying they are? Just addressing a statement made earlier in the thread.

        A lot of owners are f*cking retarded, they either don't care or are too lazy to take their car in for service.
        I agree, but this isn't about 1 or 2 or 10 defective vehicles. This is about a defect in an engine that is in numerous model lines.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Basically, this is a problem that has yet to show its worst.
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Basically, this is a problem that has yet to show its worst.
        This engine has been in cars since 2006. I am sure there a number high mileage E63's, CLK63's, ML63', etc...

        This just seemed to popup out of no where.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        This engine has been in cars since 2006. I am sure there a number high mileage E63's, CLK63's, ML63', etc...

        This just seemed to popup out of no where.
        They barely sold any ML63's, which is why they discontinued them. This only popped out of nowhere to you. Search mbw and you'll find instances in posts for a few years back.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        This engine has been in cars since 2006. I am sure there a number high mileage E63's, CLK63's, ML63', etc...

        This just seemed to popup out of no where.
        How can you say out of nowhere when there was a service bulletin in 2007 regarding it? That was when they were all still low mileage. Also, how you drive will affect it. There is no telling at which point this premature wear will really destroy the motor but that it is taking place.
      1. Yomama69's Avatar
        Yomama69 -
        Remember Toyota? They swept that unintended acceleration under the rug by spinning it and calling it a "sticky pedal" when it was obvious that it was an electrical/electronic issue. Car sales is a business and replacing parts that cost 10K will be a huge loss to Mercedes.