Close

    • Insideline compares the BMW 1M Coupe to the Dodge Challenger SRT-8 and picks... the SRT-8 - Says 1M is basically a 135i

      All the 1M reviews up to this point may as well have been one long review blended together. Few in the automotive press have stood up and actually had the courage to criticize the 1M or look at it from a different perspective. That is, until now. This Insideline comparison will no doubt get fanboys panties twisted especially with comments such as these,

      "The 2011 BMW M Coupe? It starts, runs, accelerates and idles like a vacuum. Sure, it's an expensive, exacting vacuum built by a team of engineers who fully understand sucking. And in the end it's a masterful machine carefully calibrated for sucking precision. But it's so focused on sucking that it's virtually emotionless. Even its burnouts are antiseptic."

      Whoa, the huevos on Insideline! We didn't know they had it in them. Finally somebody who has the courage to stand up and honestly opine about the 1M instead of being a sheep. Insideline would go on to say the 1M is basically a 135 in disguise, ""Nah. Unless you drive it hard on the right road it's no different than a 135."

      We'll leave you with this, try not to riot gentlemen:



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Insideline compares the BMW 1M Coupe to the Dodge Charger SRT-8 and picks... the Charger SRT-8 - Says 1M is basically a 135i started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 53 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        Couldn't the same be said about the M3? I'm sure it's not too exciting putting around town at 3000 RPMs.
        The M3 is more responsive at all revs and a completely different character from the 335. The 1M really isn't all that different from a 135.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, the title is wrong.....


        Lol, it's Challenger SRT-8......
        It was late when I wrote it, my bad! Fixing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        He thinks he is right because he writes longer paragraphs
        No, probably because I defend them well with more than just smilies and without historic errors such as yourself?
      1. Eleventeen's Avatar
        Eleventeen -
        That's funny, a $50k Dodge that got beaten in every category except trap speed by a similarly priced BMW... hmmmm, which would I choose. Click here to enlarge
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The M3 is more responsive at all revs and a completely different character from the 335. The 1M really isn't all that different from a 135.
        I agree that the m3 is not the same as a 335 but that's not what I was replying to. You said that the Charger was fun at all speeds but the 1M had to be driven at the limit to have fun. How is that any different than an M3? You have to rev the $#@! out of it to have fun so in the real word you would have to be driving in 1st gear everywhere you go, unless you want a reckless driving ticket. I am no way dogging on the M3, I think it is a great car but since I don't track I don't see the need for it. Maybe that will change when I get the 1M...who knows.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        I drove a regular V8 challenger very hard in the canyons and it is a GIANT POS, bad steering, bad brakes, front heavy understeer, $#@! interior
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
        That's funny, a $50k Dodge that got beaten in every category except trap speed by a similarly priced BMW... hmmmm, which would I choose. Click here to enlarge
        Hehe, that is a good point. The 1M pretty much thumped it across the board. But aren't BMW owners and namely M owners the one who say there is more to a car than just numbers?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        I agree that the m3 is not the same as a 335 but that's not what I was replying to. You said that the Charger was fun at all speeds but the 1M had to be driven at the limit to have fun. How is that any different than an M3? You have to rev the $#@! out of it to have fun so in the real word you would have to be driving in 1st gear everywhere you go, unless you want a reckless driving ticket. I am no way dogging on the M3, I think it is a great car but since I don't track I don't see the need for it. Maybe that will change when I get the 1M...who knows.
        The M has pretty short gearing but I do agree you need to rev the crap out of it. There clearly are some similarities there although I think the difference in character between an M3 and a 335 is greater than that of the 1M and the 135i.
      1. CookieCrisp's Avatar
        CookieCrisp -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Cool, so it drifts and so forth?

        I mean it's an awesome car as most BMW's are but still not an M.

        Glad he mentioned that it is a parts bin M though at least and that they did that drag race since it shows how the Cayman R with a manual really stacks up.
        Sticky, I know you are butt-hurt that the 1M received the N54 but the fact at the matter is that at the end of the day it is an M car. Putting the S54 in the 1M would have been too much weight on the front end, and the S65 - well, god dammit that engine would have suited this car perfectly.
        The 1M is to the 135i just as the M3 is to a 335i, the only difference is the lack of a bespoke M engine.
        The 1M has a limited slip differential, M suspension components, and flared fenders - characteristic of EVERY ///M car since the 1980's.
        By your claim of the 1M not being an M car you are also setting the grounds to claim that the F10 M5 is not a "true" M car. Yeah blah blah blah the S63tu engine is sooo different then the N63 but is it? Does it not have the same compression ratio? Isn't the only difference higher boost and some other features that really aren't too significant?
        Sounds like the same story as is with the 1M and the N54...
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The M has pretty short gearing but I do agree you need to rev the crap out of it. There clearly are some similarities there although I think the difference in character between an M3 and a 335 is greater than that of the 1M and the 135i.
        Yes, and I would take any of the 4 cars mentioned over the Dodge.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, I know you are butt-hurt that the 1M received the N54 but the fact at the matter is that at the end of the day it is an M car. Putting the S54 in the 1M would have been too much weight on the front end, and the S65 - well, god dammit that engine would have suited this car perfectly.
        The 1M is to the 135i just as the M3 is to a 335i, the only difference is the lack of a bespoke M engine.
        The 1M has a limited slip differential, M suspension components, and flared fenders - characteristic of EVERY ///M car since the 1980's.
        By your claim of the 1M not being an M car you are also setting the grounds to claim that the F10 M5 is not a "true" M car. Yeah blah blah blah the S63tu engine is sooo different then the N63 but is it? Does it not have the same compression ratio? Isn't the only difference higher boost and some other features that really aren't too significant?
        Sounds like the same story as is with the 1M and the N54...
        I'm not butthurt just disappointed in BMW. They could have at least tweaked the N54 like they did to the N63 to make the S63. When is the last time an M car didn't have a motor with an S designation?

        The 1M is not to the 135i as the M3 is to the 335i. The 1M is basically a just a 135i with M3 bits. The M3 is not just a 335 with some suspension and brake changes.

        The 1M has M parts but is missing the heart, missing the soul.

        The F10 M5 has the S63tu and a custom DCT along with a manual option. The F10 M5 has its own suspension and brake pieces. Even the turbos on the S63tu are different from the S63 I believe. Yes, the S63tu is pretty damn different from the N63. The manifold is different, the turbos, the intake system, the rods, the cams, these are all significant changes all of which the 1M does not see vs. a 135i.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Tons of the SRT8's in my new town. cant wait till the punks look and chuckle at the red light next to me, rev the big bad HEMI, only to get a lung full of toxic, uncleansed C02 mixed with Methanol and as i then slow down and innocently go back to cruising at 28MPG in a slightly luxurious BMW
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        Tons of the SRT8's in my new town. cant wait till the punks look and chuckle at the red light next to me, rev the big bad HEMI, only to get a lung full of toxic, uncleansed C02 mixed with Methanol and as i then slow down and innocently go back to cruising at 28MPG in a slightly luxurious BMW
        You sound like hotrod when you mention MPG.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You sound like hotrod when you mention MPG.
        The 1m's MPG is just icing on the cake and cant be ignored. Call me a pussy Prius lover(lol) but it was a small factor in my decision for the 1M over an M3. Its also the reason I went with a 535xi over a 550xi, but then again, it is the wife's car, if it was for me it would have been a different story. 535 is enough for her to handle...LOL!!!!
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        lol, its still the #1 reason i havent gone M yet Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
        The 1m's MPG is just icing on the cake and cant be ignored. Call me a pussy Prius lover(lol) but it was a small factor in my decision for the 1M over an M3. Its also the reason I went with a 535xi over a 550xi, but then again, it is the wife's car, if it was for me it would have been a different story. 535 is enough for her to handle...LOL!!!!
        I won't call you any names as yes MPG is a factor but I mean these are performance cars. I guess I just don't pay attention to it the way others do.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        lol, its still the #1 reason i havent gone M yet Click here to enlarge
        I was able to get 27mpg on the way home from the drag strip in my SC M3
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        Sticky yesterday you said you didnt want to put the 1M on the front page anymore because there were too many write up already but yet you couldnt get this one up there quick enough, what the hell is your problem with this car? Your taking pride in a bmw losing a review!!! OTher than a big motor and straigt line grunt we both know that srt is junk, the 1M is like a surgical knife and that thing is like a hammer or something
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        Sticky yesterday you said you didnt want to put the 1M on the front page anymore because there were too many write up already but yet you couldnt get this one up there quick enough, what the hell is your problem with this car? Your taking pride in a bmw losing a review!!! OTher than a big motor and straigt line grunt we both know that srt is junk, the 1M is like a surgical knife and that thing is like a hammer or something
        Controversy sells my friend. Combine that with the new hotness of the 1M and you have a winner! Look at this and the Clarkson review thread, more views and replies than this section has had in the last month. Either that or Sticky cant get his hands on a 1M and is jealous...HAHAHAHA! Just kidding...not really though...lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        Sticky yesterday you said you didnt want to put the 1M on the front page anymore because there were too many write up already but yet you couldnt get this one up there quick enough, what the hell is your problem with this car? Your taking pride in a bmw losing a review!!! OTher than a big motor and straigt line grunt we both know that srt is junk, the 1M is like a surgical knife and that thing is like a hammer or something
        If you notice the order I put the Clarkson review first and then came across this one. One is extremely positive, the other is extremely critical. I prefer to give you a balance not just feed you all positive and leave negatives out.

        Notice other sites omit the Insideline review? Do you prefer to believe everything is sunshine and rainbows or do you believe it rains from time to time?