• Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M and thinks it is perfect, but is it?

      BimmerBoost forum members seem to think this Clarkson review is a big deal so we decided to put it up on the front page despite what seems like the millionth article on the 1M. Clarkson is controversial and we often disagree with him. This case is no different as we disagree with him calling the car perfect. To his credit he does mention the 1M is essentially a parts bin M car, which it is, making it far from perfect. Watch the review and come to your own conclusion.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M! started by KB View original post
      Comments 129 Comments
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why wouldn't this translate to the roadcourse exactly? The DCT has faster laptimes. It will also have greater consistency. The roadcourse would be the place you would want it most.
        Because the extra weight has some negative effect. in an average track the positive influence of DCT is even with the negative influence of extra weight, in a tight track that negative influence is bigger.

        What i'm saying highly depends on the driver, my driving style isn't suited for something with TCU. I downshift from 5th to 3rd when i hit a corner, to cut the same corner in a car with TCU it barely lets me downshift to 4th.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Because the extra weight has some negative effect. in an average track the positive influence of DCT is even with the negative influence of extra weight, in a tight track that negative influence is bigger.

        What i'm saying highly depends on the driver, my driving style isn't suited for something with TCU. I downshift from 5th to 3rd when i hit a corner, to cut the same corner in a car with TCU it barely lets me downshift to 4th.
        It's 40 pounds and at the center of the car, it isn't even a big deal at all. If it was, you wouldn't see PDK's and DCT's routinely trounce manuals. The weight doesn't mean anywhere near as much as picking up a tenth if not more per shift.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's 40 pounds and at the center of the car, it isn't even a big deal at all. If it was, you wouldn't see PDK's and DCT's routinely trounce manuals. The weight doesn't mean anywhere near as much as picking up a tenth if not more per shift.
        Well, i don't agree with you. DCT is quick on upshift, but it's also quite slow on downshift.

        The thing is the trans in my 335i is DCT, same as Cayman and two slushbox in other two cars, not sure why I defend MT so much ?!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Well, i don't agree with you. DCT is quick on upshift, but it's also quite slow on downshift.
        Well, I don't agree with you. I was surprised how good the downshifts were. Why does a Nissan GTR seem to have no trouble on the track with it?
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well, I don't agree with you. I was surprised how good the downshifts were. Why does a Nissan GTR seem to have no trouble on the track with it?
        Because it's a GT-R.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Because it's a GT-R.
        Mmmhmmm. With a DCT.

        DCT is faster around the track. Not like faster acceleration and faster shift times are going to slow you down.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Mmmhmmm. With a DCT.

        DCT is faster around the track. Not like faster acceleration and faster shift times are going to slow you down.
        It highly depends on the track. there is a track here in Dubai I tested today morning, the track car was a M3. i barely shifted, i was most of time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. in a track like this which you barely shift, the shifting advantage in a DCT car is nothing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        It highly depends on the track. there is a track here in Dubai I tested today morning, the track car was a M3. i barely shifted, i was most of time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. in a track like this which you barely shift, the shifting advantage in a DCT car is nothing.
        I've never heard of a track where you don't really need to shift. I mean look, we can agree to disagree. The DCT is a huge advantage, I stand by it.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I've never heard of a track where you don't really need to shift. I mean look, we can agree to disagree. The DCT is a huge advantage, I stand by it.
        The dude that ran the ring in his 1M said he was in 4th and 5th and really didn't have to shift all that often.