• Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M and thinks it is perfect, but is it?

      BimmerBoost forum members seem to think this Clarkson review is a big deal so we decided to put it up on the front page despite what seems like the millionth article on the 1M. Clarkson is controversial and we often disagree with him. This case is no different as we disagree with him calling the car perfect. To his credit he does mention the 1M is essentially a parts bin M car, which it is, making it far from perfect. Watch the review and come to your own conclusion.



      This article was originally published in forum thread: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M! started by KB View original post
      Comments 129 Comments
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        BimmerBoost forum members seem to think this Clarkson review is a big deal so we decided to put it up on the front page despite what seems like the millionth article on the 1M. Clarkson is controversial and we often disagree with him. This case is no different as we disagree with him calling the car perfect. To his credit he does mention the 1M is essentially a parts bin M car, which it is, making it far from perfect. Watch the review and come to your own conclusion.

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im..._468x392-1.jpg

        <object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwoEHzIU5rE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwoEHzIU5rE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
        this is so biased and one sided its not even funny
      1. M3_WC's Avatar
        M3_WC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        this is so biased and one sided its not even funny
        Go to the other site if you want it biased the other way.

        He is just keepin it real. Not being a complete BMW fanboy.
      1. inlineS54B32's Avatar
        inlineS54B32 -
        Not sure if anyone has seen this - but there is an official lap time for the 1M on the Nurburgring: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/06/17/bm...ring-time-815/

        10 seconds slower than the "non-automatic" M3 Click here to enlarge
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Sticky, this is not a parts bin car. ONLY the engine can be considered a disappointment, you know why they used all the M3's parts on the 1M? Because it is the EXACT SAME chassis. What the hell would they need to re-engineer any of those parts for? When they made the M3 in the first place they were pretty much making an M 1 series at the same time, all that was needed was recalibration of spring and damper rates and a new rear diff since we all know everything else was already a direct swap.

        Basically get over it, if you don't like it fine you already have an M3. At least go drive it before you go around claiming it's a disappointment, your opinion seems to be in the minority amongst those in the know.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Hah, man, R compounds aren't going to drop it 25 seconds. 25 seconds is damn eternity, are you kidding?

        Best case scenario is 10 seconds and I doubt even that. Here is the difference between a 997S on Michelin Pilot Sport cups and without:

        7:50 Porsche 911 Carrera S (2009) Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (08/2008),[45] PCCB, PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, Michelin Cup tires
        7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S Walter Röhrl 'Wheels' magazine (06/2004), PASM setting "Performance"

        And I would argue the majority of that difference is due to the PDK. 5 seconds is more realistic, like Walter Rohrl stated.

        You dont know what you are talking about... I specifically said the top speed is what renders in incapable of beating the CSL an then there is the R compounds on top of that. You have no first hand experience with race cars and I doubt you know first hand how tires affect the performance of a car driven in a circuit. Trust me on this one. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        and much better brakes
        This. On that long course brakes are really put to the test.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        You dont know what you are talking about... I specifically said the top speed is what renders in incapable of beating the CSL an then there is the R compounds on top of that. You have no first hand experience with race cars and I doubt you know first hand how tires affect the performance of a car driven in a circuit. Trust me on this one. Click here to enlarge
        Sure man, you know better than Walter Rohrl and the entirety of actual results we have to reference.

        Go put R compounds on the 1M and go show everyone how you shave 25 seconds off the ring time, lol.
      1. KB's Avatar
        KB -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
        Go to the other site if you want it biased the other way.

        He is just keepin it real. Not being a complete BMW fanboy.
        Why is someone labeled a fanboy if they like the best BMW made at this present time? Lets face it, it is the best handling BMW out right now, the most fun(subjective, but every review out states this), 98% of the performance of the almighty M3 in hands of professionals, the difference is so small it would be a drivers race with most of us behind the wheel.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sure man, you know better than Walter Rohrl and the entirety of actual results we have to reference.

        Go put R compounds on the 1M and go show everyone how you shave 25 seconds off the ring time, lol.
        wtf are you talking about. Walter Rohrl was talking about a Carrera S with Michellin Cups and Without, that has no relevance to what we are talking here. You are an idiot go race your M3 on the 1/4 mile I doubt you have any driving skills. Spend some money on a driving school before you try do do something stupid with your M3.
      1. Forced Air's Avatar
        Forced Air -
        Just let it go Sticky, time to trade in the V8...Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        wtf are you talking about. Walter Rohrl was talking about a Carrera S with Michellin Cups and Without, that has no relevance to what we are talking here. You are an idiot go race your M3 on the 1/4 mile I doubt you have any driving skills. Spend some money on a driving school before you try do do something stupid with your M3.
        Walter Rohrl's view on the effect of R compounds vs. standard tires is absolutely relevant when you are trying to present the argument that R compounds alone can lower a laptime around the ring by 25 seconds which is absurd. I think that his lap results and experience outweigh your opinion which is based on... nothing.

        Why are you insulting me anyway because I don't accept your "25 second" theory? Calm down kid, relax and try research what you are talking about so you don't have to resort to petty insults.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
        this is so biased and one sided its not even funny
        Not one sided at all, we provide both viewpoints. How is asking you to come to your own conclusion biased?
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Walter Rohrl's view on the effect of R compounds vs. standard tires is absolutely relevant when you are trying to present the argument that R compounds lower a laptime around the ring by 25 seconds. I think that his lap results and experience outweigh your opinion which is based on... nothing.

        Why are you insulting me anyway because I don't accept your "25 second" theory? Calm down kid, relax and try research what you are talking about.
        $#@! off... You are completely ignoring that I said the major difference its from the top speed. If you can understand that man you are a moron
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, this is not a parts bin car. ONLY the engine can be considered a disappointment, you know why they used all the M3's parts on the 1M? Because it is the EXACT SAME chassis. What the hell would they need to re-engineer any of those parts for? When they made the M3 in the first place they were pretty much making an M 1 series at the same time, all that was needed was recalibration of spring and damper rates and a new rear diff since we all know everything else was already a direct swap.

        Basically get over it, if you don't like it fine you already have an M3. At least go drive it before you go around claiming it's a disappointment, your opinion seems to be in the minority amongst those in the know.
        My opinion may be in the minority but I could care less if that is the case. Just because more people may agree with one viewpoint doesn't mean that view is correct. Often times it is the person who has the courage to speak out against the norm who is telling the truth rather than falling into the thinking of everyone else. I prefer to think for myself.

        I really don't understand your point at all of when they made the M3 they were making a 1 M, what? What are you trying to say? The 1M came about much later and it is a 1 year car specifically because it was not planned out ahead like the M3. There was a lot of talk whether it would be a 135is or an M and BMW hesitated for some time. They finally decided to go forward with it and I think a 135is label would have been far more appropriate considering the final product.

        It is disappointing how BMW took shortcuts with this car and people are letting them off the hook for it. You don't understand, I think the car is beautiful and I'm sure it drives incredibly well. It is a disappointment that the M division has lost its luster and that people see fit to accept non-M parts into M cars. You are doing exactly what BMW wants you to do and that is a shame. The BMW I know had way more pride in its M products and they stood out instead of conforming making them special.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        $#@! off... You are completely ignoring that I said the major difference its from the top speed. If you can understand that man you are a moron
        Very well argued and said, your opinion is highly valued.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        I agree the time would definitely drop from the top speed limited delete, but where really is the 1M gonna break 155 on that track? The back straight and .... I mean the Z06 only hits 170 there.

        but definitely I dont see why anyone is name calling, its a discussion about a car.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Very well argued and said, your opinion is highly valued.
        just like your opinion on the 1M...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        but definitely I dont see why anyone is name calling, its a discussion about a car.
        Seriously.

        Guys, present your opinions and no need to get heated. We all have our own views, respect them.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        I agree the time would definitely drop from the top speed limited delete, but where really is the 1M gonna break 155 on that track? The back straight and .... I mean the Z06 only hits 170 there.

        but definitely I dont see why anyone is name calling, its a discussion about a car.
        Z06 hits 201 there...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
        just like your opinion on the 1M...
        You don't have to accept my opinion but maybe try to be more mature about it.